• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've been all over the spectrum, but can't find the right fit for me.

OmniLobster

I've been searching for the better half of the last two years. I've read dozens of books from all over the spectrum of beliefs. However, I can't find the right fit. Aspects of some faiths resonate with me, but no one practice I've come across has felt "right."

I was hoping this forum could turn me on to new things, or make me go back over what I had already dismissed.

The things that deeply resonate with me;
  • Connectedness of all things living or unliving.
  • If there is an afterlife, it would not be objectively good/bad. It would simply be something different than our current existance.
  • Whatever created the universe (I feel something had to) would be unconcerned with what you do with your life.
  • That it is up to humans themselves to make their own paradise, rather than expect someone else to provide it for them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
  • If there is an afterlife, it would not be objectively good/bad. It would simply be something different than our current existance.
  • Whatever created the universe (I feel something had to) would be unconcerned with what you do with your life.
  • That it is up to humans themselves to make their own paradise, rather than expect someone else to provide it for them.

Might want to look into Buddhism. A lot of practical ideas about how to navigate life and it's up to your whether you want to bring any Deities into the picture.

You might like Alan Watts. Kind of a pop Buddhist but I like him and you can find a lot of his lectures on Youtube.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Welcome, Lobster.
Are you searching for objective truth, or a belief system you're comfortable with?
Some of the points that resonate with you don't strike me as being rooted in facts.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been searching for the better half of the last two years. I've read dozens of books from all over the spectrum of beliefs. However, I can't find the right fit. Aspects of some faiths resonate with me, but no one practice I've come across has felt "right."

I was hoping this forum could turn me on to new things, or make me go back over what I had already dismissed.

Panentheism?

Oh, and welcome to RF!!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Moo!

vaca.jpg

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Two RF'rs, three opinions.

OmniLobster

Welcome, Lobster.
Are you searching for objective truth, or a belief system you're comfortable with?
Some of the points that resonate with you don't strike me as being rooted in facts.

I'm not sure that they are mutually exclusive.
None of the things I listed have been proven objectively nonfactual.

Sorry if that sounded *******-ish. I'm searching for both.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

What leads you to believe that these things are true?
297.gif

If you are looking for the "right fit", does that mean that if there is a Creator, that he must conform to your views? What if he doesn't, but expects you to conform to his?
352nmsp.gif

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Sounds like Deism to me.

OmniLobster

What leads you to believe that these things are true?
297.gif

If you are looking for the "right fit", does that mean that if there is a Creator, that he must conform to your views? What if he doesn't, but expects you to conform to his?
352nmsp.gif
My own experiences and research have led me to believe these things. I will admit, I'm young and that is likely to change.

I'm all for changing my mind, however. That's one of the reasons I'm on this forum; to explore what I haven't discovered and to rethink what I have.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
My own experiences and research have led me to believe these things. I will admit, I'm young and that is likely to change.

I'm all for changing my mind, however. That's one of the reasons I'm on this forum; to explore what I haven't discovered and to rethink what I have.

Well said. Perhaps start by asking your most pressing questions and then evaluate the answers from the many viewpoints held here on RF....hopefully it will not create more questions than it does answers. Your heart will know and so will your head....follow their lead. Pause if there is conflict.

Happy trails.....
banana_smiley_16.gif

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Luciferianism. Theres even a dir for that on the forums.

Milton Platt

Why did something have to create the universe (besides physics)?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

You could just go the classical route and just go UU.

I would say Zazen sitting, but it wouldn't fit in very well with a theistic creationist's viewpoint past the holistic benefit it brings.

Milton Platt

Start from the known (scientifically speaking) and work back. Andy religion or deity that does not comply with what is known about reality should be rejected. Don't contort religious pronouncements to fit. If they don't fit outright, reject them.