• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Time For The Simpsons To End It All

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I'm willing to tolerate some clinkers.
Even in its golden age, we had the hideous “The Principal & The Pauper”.
But in 2022, the series has entirely lost it.
Not one redeeming episode.
- Lame unfunny writing.
- Eliminating Apu for political correctness.
- Replacing white actors with woke-acceptable ones.
- Novelty is gone.
- Stories have become akin to Davey & Goliath.

Everyone involved should be ashamed of what they produce.
(Except for the animators....they just have nothing to work with.)
You had a good run for a while.
RIP.

I don't think I've ever watch a complete episode. Wasn't aware they still made it. And I'm still unsure what "woke" means when it's used as an insult.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've been wondering about that.
No good ideas yet, but some breaking the 4th wall possibilities....
- Kodos & Kang attack & destroy Earth because
the Simpsons have become so tedious.
- The characters all resign because the scripts are
so bad, & the ratings so low. Family Guy did something
similar in "You Can't Handle The Booth".

OK, that last one is actually a great idea.
I think Lisa should give a monologue to end it, mentioning things in both points.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I honestly didn’t realise they were still going until it popped up on my Disney+ account after they bought Fox
(Still seems like bizarre combo to me lol)

How the mighty have fallen
I assumed it was ended. Shows are kept going because of the bean counters. John Cleese knocked Fawlty Towers on the head after two series. There could have been lots more but he said he wanted people to remember it was being all good rather than people saying "It used to be good but it went on for so long it became tedious ****."
Good call.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I assumed it was ended. Shows are kept going because of the bean counters. John Cleese knocked Fawlty Towers on the head after two series. There could have been lots more but he said he wanted people to remember it was being all good rather than people saying "It used to be good but it went on for so long it became tedious ****."
Good call.
Agreed.
Too many shows are kept on life support well past their prime, simply because they earn money (which is not always a good indicator of quality.)

The OP mentioned getting rid of Apu, for Political Correctness reasons. But I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the voice actor just wanted his character to die already in order to keep some dignity and avoid him turning into an annoying character. And the cast merely hid behind “being progressive” as an excuse lol

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Seems to be that way with all cartoons. Rick and Morty, South Park, Family Guy...
South Park I think still does fine, but it's always been heavily driven by current events and pop culture to help keep it relevant, so much so it tends to accurately predict the Presidential Elections.
Family Guy, it still hits a home run now and then but it's been done for a long time now.
I haven't seen Rick and Morty to comment on it, but I can say it's not just cartoons. Malcolm in the Middle, for example, ended at a good point before it could be dragged on too long, which likely would have been any longer than it was because the main character would be off to college and the family dynamics of the show would have had to taken a backseat.
My Name is Earl, that one could have easily went on too long. It was killed off before its time, but the protagonist was given an endless quest that would have required wise and prudent writing to give it a good ending when it would be best to end it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think I've ever watch a complete episode. Wasn't aware they still made it. And I'm still unsure what "woke" means when it's used as an insult.
The Simpsons is catering to all the people who
are offended by characters being voiced by actors
of a different ethnicity or race....unless the character
is white or Scottish. And eliminating Apu because
some guy was taunted as a kid.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
The Simpsons is catering to all the people who
are offended by characters being voiced by actors
of a different ethnicity or race....unless the character
is white or Scottish. And eliminating Apu because
some guy was taunted as a kid.

OK I guess. I must be weird, if a TV show offends me I don't watch it. But that's not why I don't watch The Simpons, I don't watch because I don't find it particularly entertaining.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OK I guess. I must be weird, if a TV show offends me I don't watch it.
We live in a country where people are offended by
things they need not look at, eg, dildoes & butt plugs
for sale at Target. Although I suspect MT Greene
just might've been checking out all the various models
& sizes with a wee bit too much interest.
But that's not why I don't watch The Simpons, I don't watch because I don't find it particularly entertaining.
That's cuz it's not particularly entertaining anymore.
Instead of novel & occasionally edgy, it now looks
like a government commissioned PSA written by
Focus On The Family.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Another option....
Groundskeeper Willie ie elected mayor,
& delivers on his campaign promise.
No, because then I'd just get pissed off because they got rid of Apu because of "stereotypes" but they already said nothing about the Jewish or Scottish or other stereotypes present. They'd probably say nothing about a murderous Willie and then I'd have to hate them more than I do because they are inconsistent to hypocrisy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
OK I guess. I must be weird, if a TV show offends me I don't watch it. But that's not why I don't watch The Simpons, I don't watch because I don't find it particularly entertaining.
What I don't get, I was raised to just change the channel. It seems like that quit being a thing. I don't know when, I don't know how, I just don't know but it happened and people forgot how to change the channel.
But, then again, many never did learn how and many of my favorite shows and movies would be a no in America a century ago because the villians are tragic, made to sympathize with, and are prone to exposing the good guy as not really that good of a guy. So it's not like it's a new thing, but rather seems to be something that swings back and forth in society (as it seems to in many societies and cultures).
We just need to figure out how to totally disable so once it's back into less censorship it never swings back. I recommend we recommend people read something they will disagree with and be angered by it, and reflect upon the whys and how to better manage the anger because it is just a book.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
In the U.S., some on the left have turned political correctness into a religious crusade.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
In the U.S., some on the left have turned political correctness into a religious crusade.

We have them here too but they come from the left, right and middle. Seems someone will be upset no matter what is said.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
We live in a country where people are offended by
things they need not look at, eg, dildoes & butt plugs
for sale at Target. Although I suspect MT Greene
just might've been checking out all the various models
& sizes with a wee bit too much interest.
It's not enough to clutch their own pearls. They see it as their moral duty to clutch everyone else's pearls for them.