• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's offensive to NOT wear a Hijab? Shame on Miss Michigan?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The Confederate flag is not the same thing as a hijab. The Confederate flag is a racist symbol, a hijab is a style of dress
The Confederate flag is a symbol adopted by racists. The hijab is a style that is used by a particular religion. Though I would not equate Islam with racism I can see how a Christian would be uncomfortable wearing what is regarded as a symbol of Islam. It would be just as insensitive to ask a Muslim to wear a chain with a cross on it or even a rosary.

That being said I would like to see the actual tweets that she made that got her canned. How and why one makes one's statements of belief can make all of the difference in the world.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And I repeat myself, what were the specific remarks? The firing may be justified.
This one crossed the line for me as a religious bigotry attack: Zhu tweeted at the time, “There’s a “try a hijab on” booth at my college campus. So you’re telling me that it’s now just a fashion accessory and not a religious thing? Or are you just trying to get women used to being oppressed under Islam.” Kathy Zhu: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

But I also think the entire beauty pageant thing is obsolete. The idea that women should not have strongly held political beliefs and express them belongs in the dead past, not the present.

Rational Agnostic

She had one job to do. Smile at the camera and look pretty. Part of her job description wasn't to offend Muslims and black people. She failed at here job and got fired.

She chose not to wear a friggin rag that symbolizes women's oppression. Good for her, except she didn't go far enough. Should've wiped her *** with it.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
And once again, the burden of proof is upon those that fired her. Refusing to wear a hijab is not racist any more than refusing to wear a crucifix would be. After all a crucifix is often just two pieces of metal in simplified t.
The OP is misleading, she didn't get fired for not wearing a hijab. She got fired for being a political gadfly on twitter and making controversial remarks that were against pageant policy. She had one job. She sucked at it and got fired. End of story.

David T

Premium Member
She got what she deserved. If she going to spout off like a mini-Ann Coulter on Twitter and make controversial remarks regarding race, religion and politics then she needs to face the consequences of her remarks. What part of speech has consequences do you not understand, so I may explain it to you?
I was going to ask if there was nudity involved but i know there are consequences to asking so i wont.

That idiot thats such a sexist statement to even say that.
I cant believe he said it.
me either i think thats a rules.
violation.
What do you mean it was a simple question.
yes but it was sexist hes a moron. Are you crazy How was it sexist? .
I am not crazy you moron go to hell i hate you sexist.
Well i hate you back crazy.

There that about sums up normal.

Did you see what he said he said oh that about sums up normal.
He is a sexist crazy moron.
oh i totally agree with you i mean how dare he.
So back to our proper discussion... I hate you
I double hate you.

The Reverend Bob

He is a sexist crazy moron.
whats-wrong-with-oskkqw.jpg

David T

Premium Member

The Reverend Bob

We always like to kick sub contractors off our job for fun if they get smarmy thinking they have some constitutional right to blabber on avout their co workers.

She is an employee shut the hell up or take a hike. No free what ever i want to blabber. Regardless.
She had one job and it was an easy job. I wish I had her job. I know some illegal aliens down by the Home Depot who would love to steal her job.