• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's no joke ladies!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Men are funnier than women, study claims

Researchers from Aberystwyth University and the University of North Carolina analysed 28 studies which looked at how funny around 5,000 people were. They wanted to see whether the stereotype that men are funnier than women was true. Writing in Psychology Today, lead researcher Dr Gil Greengross said: "This stereotype is shared by both men and women - but of course, just because it exists does not mean it is true." In many of the studies they looked at, men and women were asked to write a funny caption to accompany a cartoon - and then independent judges rated their funniness without knowing their gender. Dr Gil said the results found that "to the best of our knowledge, on average, men appear to have higher humour production ability than women". Speaking to Radio 1 Newsbeat on Tuesday, he added: "To clarify, the whole thing is not about 'women are not funny'... obviously there are some very funny stand-up comedians and I know many female comedians, some personally. Sara Pascoe, for example, she's a great comedian and she's probably funnier than 99% of all males in the world... it's just that on average we find there's a difference." He says evidence suggests humour plays a "major role in mating". The lecturer said women tend to look for a sense of humour in a partner as it is "strongly correlated with intelligence". "Men, on the other hand, prefer women who laugh at their humour. That means that over our evolutionary history, men likely had to compete harder with other men to impress women with their sense of humour."

I've always tended to think this - that humour has been a weapon in males' armoury to woo females - and hence it is likely that they would do better.

Maddy Bye, who along with her sister Marina make up the comedy duo Siblings, says she finds the study "frustrating but also funny". "Being in the comedy world I don't think we've done a gig in the last three years where there wasn't an equal amount of men and women on the bill. There are so many amazing male and female comedy shows. I don't know why they're trying to make it a scientific fact that women aren't funny."

But that is not what the study suggests - just that males are likely to be funnier than females. And the equal numbers at gigs perhaps says more about our efforts to ensure equal opportunities - and the drive from feminists to equalise almost everything.

Any comments - humorous or otherwise. :D

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Researchers from Aberystwyth University and the University of North Carolina analysed 28 studies which looked at how funny around 5,000 people were. They wanted to see whether the stereotype that men are funnier than women was true. Writing in Psychology Today, lead researcher Dr Gil Greengross said: "This stereotype is shared by both men and women - but of course, just because it exists does not mean it is true." In many of the studies they looked at, men and women were asked to write a funny caption to accompany a cartoon - and then independent judges rated their funniness without knowing their gender. Dr Gil said the results found that "to the best of our knowledge, on average, men appear to have higher humour production ability than women". Speaking to Radio 1 Newsbeat on Tuesday, he added: "To clarify, the whole thing is not about 'women are not funny'... obviously there are some very funny stand-up comedians and I know many female comedians, some personally. Sara Pascoe, for example, she's a great comedian and she's probably funnier than 99% of all males in the world... it's just that on average we find there's a difference." He says evidence suggests humour plays a "major role in mating". The lecturer said women tend to look for a sense of humour in a partner as it is "strongly correlated with intelligence". "Men, on the other hand, prefer women who laugh at their humour. That means that over our evolutionary history, men likely had to compete harder with other men to impress women with their sense of humour."

I've always tended to think this - that humour has been a weapon in males' armoury to woo females - and hence it is likely that they would do better.

Maddy Bye, who along with her sister Marina make up the comedy duo Siblings, says she finds the study "frustrating but also funny". "Being in the comedy world I don't think we've done a gig in the last three years where there wasn't an equal amount of men and women on the bill. There are so many amazing male and female comedy shows. I don't know why they're trying to make it a scientific fact that women aren't funny."

But that is not what the study suggests - just that males are likely to be funnier than females. And the equal numbers at gigs perhaps says more about our efforts to ensure equal opportunities - and the drive from feminists to equalise almost everything.

I Love Lucy.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Men like to think they are funny, not usually so. It seems to me that very few have the gift of natural humour. That said, those that do have that gift are something very special.

Are men funnier than women?. Those that are naturally humourous outweigh women with the same gift, there is no doubt about that (i could put a joke in here about heavy men... but i won't)

Those men lacking the humour gene can be really quite sad when attempting humour in the mating game. Methinks the only reason there is any success is that the woman takes pity on them.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It's one of those studies that might be true, but seems pointless.
Still, the premise makes some sense to me. Despite my devastatingly good looks...ahem...I'm guessing my sense of humour was more often a factor in attracting women in my formative years.
And for a young man still building confidence in himself, having a pretty girl laugh at your jokes is very attractive in return.

Still...what does it lead us to? On an individual basis, I have no idea if the next man I meet, or the next woman I meet will be funny. So I need to judge it on an individual basis anyway.

*Shrugs*

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
3exjmr.jpg

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Men like to think they are funny, not usually so. It seems to me that very few have the gift of natural humour. That said, those that do have that gift are something very special.

Are men funnier than women?. Those that are naturally humourous outweigh women with the same gift, there is no doubt about that (i could put a joke in here about heavy men... but i won't)

Those men lacking the humour gene can be really quite sad when attempting humour in the mating game. Methinks the only reason there is any success is that the woman takes pity on them.
I have to admit, some of the funniest comics that I've ever seen have been women. They are often more subtle, the humour a little more deep, while men quite often seem coarse and surface-level. Memories of Gilda Radner...lovely.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Sounds like nonsense and rather pointless. Most of my favorite comedians are female.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have a theory.....
Humor is pain.
It's why women tend to not enjoy....

I think it might possibly be that males are more likely to make fools of themselves and not be so bothered when it fails. They take more risks in general - which can be seen also in the numbers doing physical activities that involve danger - so just another area to excel (or fail). Perhaps?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm a bit surprised as to the reactionary response in the thread (not really - and not just here of course :D) - allowing for the fact that the study might be wrong of course (but still involving a much larger sample than any previous efforts). But would we have the same response for example as to why we don't tend to have as many females in STEM subject occupations or how we tend to have so many more females in school teaching positions and the social services? Like to see equality in everything, regardless of the absurdity of doing so if there just is a natural tendency for this to occur?