• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Its going to be a rough ride

pearl

Does 'establshed law' mean anything anymore or in the future?

Will those living is same sex marriage have to become roomates again?

Abortions once again illegal? Even contraceptives?

Will voting rights be a thing of the past?

Republicans along with Evangelicals have promised to reverse the last 40 years of the Supreme Court.

I hope the Dems refuse to hear any of the nominees.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
People are trying to kick social conservatives out of existence, but we will continue to exist as long as there are people. Trying to silence us is not really going to help.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
People are trying to kick social conservatives out of existence, but we will continue to exist as long as there are people. Trying to silence us is not really going to help.
There is nothing wrong with being a social conservative. Just don't try to inflict your beliefs upon others. I don't think that anyone (oh wait, except for liberal college campuses) has tried to silence social conservatives.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I don't think that anyone (oh wait, except for liberal college campuses) has tried to silence social conservatives.
If liberal college campuses were the only places people could voice their opinions you might have a point.
Ahhh ... the old "you have free speech over there so it's fine if I curtail it over here" argument. Just lovely.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There is nothing wrong with being a social conservative. Just don't try to inflict your beliefs upon others. I don't think that anyone (oh wait, except for liberal college campuses) has tried to silence social conservatives.

If liberal college campuses were the only places people could voice their opinions you might have a point.
I was talking about this little slice,
You can't really just 'refuse to listen' to your opponent if you're looking for a fair debate.

PureX

Veteran Member

Republicans along with Evangelicals have promised to reverse the last 40 years of the Supreme Court.

The dems will cave as they always do. It's why republicans have become so insanely arrogant and aggressive. No one ever stops them. Fascists rule when good people do nothing. The fight for freedom never ends because our would-be masters are always among us.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
People should not be silenced at any public site. I am sure that conservatives have been guilty of the same in the past. It is an action that usually backfires eventually on the people doing the silencing. If a person is wrong let them hang themselves with their own words. Don't turn them into martyrs where they can use the oppression of others against that group.

When the gay Republican that now works with Alex Jones was silenced it only helped the nut burgers that support him. He still got his message out. Better to refute and ignore than to attempt to shut up.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But it's OK for modern liberals to inflict their beliefs upon others?
I don't like curbing civil liberties (the ones they dislike), high taxes,
massive bureaucracy, & talk of requiring service (military or social)
rankle me.
Every side always thinks it has The Truth, & that their agenda is
righteous, unlike the evil other side. Evil is as evil does, & it lurks
on both sides of the aisle.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ahhh . . . the old "if I can't force everyone to host me as a speaker then I am being silenced" argument. Just lovely.

No one was being forced to host others. These were cases where they had jumped through the hoops according to the rules and regulations of the colleges involved and then they were silenced after the fact. At least argue against the actual case. Once again, these actions tend to backfire since those on the fence recognize injustice, whether it comes from the right or the left, when it occurs.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

The government is not your friend. The bigger it gets, the more it will decide what is right for you. That's all well and good as long as you agree with it. When folks you don't agree with come to power, guess what? The foundation was already put in place to control your life. Too late to have second thoughts about bigger government now.

Last edited:

Thermos aquaticus

People should not be silenced at any public site. I am sure that conservatives have been guilty of the same in the past. It is an action that usually backfires eventually on the people doing the silencing. If a person is wrong let them hang themselves with their own words. Don't turn them into martyrs where they can use the oppression of others against that group.

When the gay Republican that now works with Alex Jones was silenced it only helped the nut burgers that support him. He still got his message out. Better to refute and ignore than to attempt to shut up.

If students are prevented from voicing their opinion at public sites then that would be a problem. I think there is a difference between feeling ostracized for voicing an opinion and actually being prevented from voicing an opinion. There is also a difference between the public square and a platform where people are invited to talk.

Thermos aquaticus

No one was being forced to host others. These were cases where they had jumped through the hoops according to the rules and regulations of the colleges involved and then they were silenced after the fact.

I have yet to see a case where any college was able to silence any speaker. These same people continue to voice their opinions all over the place without any college being able to stop them. I may even agree that they are misusing their discretion when it comes to who speaks in their forums, but that is far from being silenced.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But it's OK for modern liberals to inflict their beliefs upon others?
I don't like curbing civil liberties (the ones they dislike), high taxes,
massive bureaucracy, & talk of requiring service (military or social)
rankle me.
Every side always thinks it has The Truth, & that their agenda is
righteous, unlike the evil other side.

I am not for the infliction by either side. But when it comes to one side saying "You can't marry the one that you love" I do have problems with that. If two gay people get married it does not affect me. It does not change marriage for me. If a person wants to spew idiocy on a college campus after jumping through various hoops, liberal or conservative, it is none of my business.

Taxes are a necessary evil and are decided in congress, but that is not what this is about.

By the way, the recent Supreme Court ruling indicates that one may have the freedom of doing business with who they choose. So that objection from the right may disappear.

I am pretty much on the side of "If it does not harm someone else it is not my business".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am not for the infliction by either side. But when it comes to one side saying "You can't marry the one that you love" I do have problems with that. If two gay people get married it does not affect me. It does not change marriage for me. If a person wants to spew idiocy on a college campus after jumping through various hoops, liberal or conservative, it is none of my business.

Taxes are a necessary evil and are decided in congress, but that is not what this is about.

By the way, the recent Supreme Court ruling indicates that one may have the freedom of doing business with who they choose. So that objection from the right may disappear.

I am pretty much on the side of "If it does not harm someone else it is not my business".
You & I have pretty much the same concerns with conservatives.
But they shouldn't be portrayed as alone in threatening liberty.

Last edited: