• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's easier than you think!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings one & all!

If you are looking for a good book to read, here is one I found a review and added it to my growing list of books I must get around to reading some day ...

Boorstein finds wisdom teachers all over the place — in her family, in conversations with strangers on airplanes, in the stories of friends, and in her own experiences. With self-deprecating humor, she gets at the way our minds take pain and make it much bigger than it really is. For her, "grumbling gets the mind bogged down in the weariness of its own story." And she speaks for many of us when she grows frustrated at the restlessness of her mind scanning the horizon for the next impending catastrophe.

There is wisdom and truth in her proposition that worry, grumbling, and fear are like bad weather. They come and go. Boorstein once had "this, too, shall pass" written across a rafter in her kitchen during a difficult period of her life. It is these homey illustrations that nail the essentials of Buddhism down to the floor where they belong — close at hand.

Full review here -

It's Easier Than You Think | Book Reviews | Books | Spirituality & Practice

Enjoy!

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
You can also find Sylvia at the lions Roar site - well worth a visit or two! -

Sylvia Boorstein

One is simply called "Daily life is practice" -

All the moments of your day are teachings. If you look at them clearly, says Sylvia Boorstein, you’ll see the same fundamental truths the Buddha did.
When I teach people how to use the breath to calm the mind and focus attention, I often mention something the Buddha said: that you should know, upon awakening, whether an inhalation or an exhalation is happening. He also said that while you’re falling asleep, you should realize, “Falling asleep inhaling” or “Falling asleep exhaling.”

People generally laugh when I say this, registering some disbelief. But I do not take that instruction literally. “What I think it means,” I tell them, “is that we should pay attention all day long, morning till night, in all activities.

Daily Life is Practice -- Sylvia Boorstein – Lion's Roar

Enjoy!