• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Corthos's Birthday!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hey, @Corthos .....
th

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Happy birthday, Corthos. Thanks, Revoltingest for informing us. May the great Asura protect and nourish you. Oh, I was talking about Rudra. ;)

RigVeda, Book 1, Hymn 43 (http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv01043.htm)

1 WHAT shall we sing to Rudra, strong, most bounteous, excellently wise. That shall be dearest to his heart?
2 That Aditi may grant the grace of Rudra to our folk, our kine. Our cattle and our progeny;
3 That Mitra and that Varuṇa, that Rudra may remember us. Yea, all the Gods with one accord.
4 To Rudra Lord of sacrifice, of hymns and balmy medicines. We pray for joy and health and strength.
5 He shines in splendour like the Sun, refulgent as bright gold is he. The good, the best among the Gods.
6 May he grant health into our steeds, wellbeing to our rams and ewes. To men, to women, and to kine.

They were talking about Rudra. But somehow, after 6 verses, they abruptly started talking about Soma and dedicated the next three verses to Soma! :D :surprise:

caaa45576197a566cd07bffb091170e0.jpg
The RigVedic concept of Rudra is more like Conan the Barabarian with golden hair driving a chariot.

Last edited:

Corthos

Great Old One
Happy birthday, Corthos. Thanks, Revoltingest for informing us. May the great Asura protect and nourish you. Oh, I was talking about Rudra. ;)

RigVeda, Book 1, Hymn 43 (http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv01043.htm)

1 WHAT shall we sing to Rudra, strong, most bounteous, excellently wise. That shall be dearest to his heart?
2 That Aditi may grant the grace of Rudra to our folk, our kine. Our cattle and our progeny;
3 That Mitra and that Varuṇa, that Rudra may remember us. Yea, all the Gods with one accord.
4 To Rudra Lord of sacrifice, of hymns and balmy medicines. We pray for joy and health and strength.
5 He shines in splendour like the Sun, refulgent as bright gold is he. The good, the best among the Gods.
6 May he grant health into our steeds, wellbeing to our rams and ewes. To men, to women, and to kine.

They were talking about Rudra. But somehow, after 6 verses, they abruptly started talking about Soma and dedicated the next three verses to Soma! :D :surprise:

caaa45576197a566cd07bffb091170e0.jpg
The RigVedic concept of Rudra is more like Conan the Barabarian with golden hair driving a chariot.

You may not know this, but I am actually a pretty big R. E. Howard fan, and I freaking love the Conan series.... Time to go to google and educate myself on Rudra. XD

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"This god occupies a subordinate position in the RV., being celebrated in only three entire hymns, in part of another, and in one conjointly with Soma. His hand, his arms, and his limbs are mentioned. He has beautiful lips and wears braided hair. His colour is brown; his form is dazzling, for he shines like the radiant sun, like gold. He is arrayed with golden ornaments, and wears a glorious necklace (niská). He drives in a car. His weapons are often referred to: he holds the thunderbolt in his arm, and discharges his lightning shaft from the sky; but he is usually said to be armed with a bow and arrows, which are strong and swift. .. He is fierce and destructive like a terrible beast, and is called a bull, as well as the ruddy (arusá) boar of heaven. He is exalted, strongest of the strong, swift, unassailable, unsurpassed in might. He is young and enaging, a lord (ísana) and father of the world."
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vedaread.htm

Last edited:

Corthos

Great Old One
Yes, that is how the word has been translated (I have to see what word is that). I do not know the make of his car. :D

Why can't I stop imagining a Hindu god with a sweet pair of sun glasses and a pink blazer cruising in a Ferrari down the freeway while listening to Van Halen? ;)

Corthos

Great Old One

Oh my god... After seeing Parvati, Shiva, and baby Ganesh tearing up the road on a Motorcycle, I can die a happy man.

On a side note, is sacrilege a concept in Hinduism? If someone dressed as Jesus rode a bike down mainstreet, it might offend more fundamental Christians. XD

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
On a side note, is sacrilege a concept in Hinduism? If someone dressed as Jesus rode a bike down mainstreet, it might offend more fundamental Christians. XD
Of course, there is, but the threshold is quite high. Normally, we will have a good laugh. We would not like Lakshmi, our Goddess of family welfare and Wealth, or Mother Kali on beer bottles.