• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Columbus Day!

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
To those who are unaware most Americans don't care about Columbus Day. I don't know why its even a national holiday, and goodness knows retail people don't get any time off for it. Its like any other day unless you get a day off from work.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you the actual Columbus Day, or are you just a typical Columbus, Dick, and Harry?

tumblr_pgakhxFDjJ1tum2j0o1_1280.jpg

So Columbus was actually Irish.

It all makes sense now!

Wait, no it doesn't.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
My Nordic ancestors discovered North America long before Christopher Columbus. Nobody gives me any gifts on May 8th, which is International Viking Day. So then, I refuse giving anybody any gifts on Columbus Day.

07cb6bacca65e25334980f2af6d0d3e8--lanse-aux-meadows-newfoundland.jpg

Yeah but your ancestors didn't destroy anything.

Slackers.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To those who are unaware most Americans don't care about Columbus Day. I don't know why its even a national holiday, and goodness knows retail people don't get any time off for it. Its like any other day unless you get a day off from work.

I can't say that I care much about Columbus Day now, although I do recall the whole story of Columbus very early in my life. Looking back on it now, it seems more like a folk tale that seemed important when they were telling it to young children. Of course, they left out quite a bit of the story - and jumped straight on to the Pilgrims and the First Thanksgiving. And then George Washington and the Cherry Tree - that was one of my favorites.

To be honest, I'm not too sure why Columbus Day is a national holiday either. That's not to say that Columbus doesn't have a prominent role in history, but there were other explorers and navigators who eventually mapped the entire continent. In fact, the continent itself was named after some other navigator, Amerigo Vespucci. Why don't we have a Vespucci Day instead?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My Nordic ancestors discovered North America long before Christopher Columbus. Nobody gives me any gifts on May 8th, which is International Viking Day. So then, I refuse giving anybody any gifts on Columbus Day.

07cb6bacca65e25334980f2af6d0d3e8--lanse-aux-meadows-newfoundland.jpg
The lazy nordic types never did anything with their find.
They just went back home to get fat on glogg & lutefisk.