• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's all in Your Mind...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If a scientist -another spirit -could show that they were only in my head, I would definitely consider them imaginary / immaterial.

"There is a spirit in man" -we are not separate from the spiritual realm. Nothing which actually exists can be separate from anything else.

There's only you in your head right? So I assume it'd be you showing yourself that this other entity in your head is only imaginary. Unless you think I suppose other entities inhabit your mind.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Actually the causation is the opposite way. Expert meditators can control their state of brain and also induce permanent positive brain changes. The evidence for brain plasticity exists and is overwhelming. So, it is not that spirituality is in brain chemicals. Rather an evolved spiritual person can gain control over electro-chemical mechanisms of the brain.

Sounds like it is all in their head. ;)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It will matter a hell of a lot :( or a heaven of a lot :) if it ends up being real. :D
It won't matter at all if it isn't real cuz we will never know the difference. ;)

Well, what about now. Do you think we get some benefits now from spiritual pursuits?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Real, material. What you experience in your mind need not be material right?
It need not have a physical reality, just like the experience of love is absolutely real, yet has no physical "love" object that exists disembodied as some "entity" somewhere in the material world apart from you, like those who imagine God is an "entity", like a mysterious Yeti, just hiding in a cave somewhere waiting for science to discover it.

But to put a finer point on it. You would never say to someone who says they believe love is real, that's it's "only in your mind". It's not. It's in their entire being, body, mind, and spirit. If you don't believe that, next time your sweetie says to you, "I love you", just tell them, "It's not real. Love just exists only in your mind, dear". You'll be sleeping on the couch and eating from the dog food bowl for a while. :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It need not have a physical reality, just like the experience of love is absolutely real, yet has no physical "love" object that exists disembodied as some "entity" somewhere in the material world apart from you, like those who imagine God is an "entity", like a mysterious Yeti, just hiding in a cave somewhere waiting for science to discover it.

But to put a finer point on it. You would never say to someone who says they believe love is real, that's it's "only in your mind". It's not. It's in their entire being, body, mind, and spirit. If you don't believe that, next time your sweetie says to you, "I love you", just tell them, "It's not real. Love just exists only in your mind, dear". You'll be sleeping on the couch and eating from the dog food bowl for a while. :)

Could you say its not a material thing?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This report seems to show certain parts of the brain are involved in spiritual experience. I think I have read that response to music also involves certain areas of the brain. So all this is saying is that spiritual sensations are a particular kind of thing as far as brain activity is concerned, as music is.

Nobody has tried to use this to argue that music, or the sensations aroused by it, are not real, so far as I know. ;)

Is qualia all in your mind?

I'm not trying to say real vs unreal.

Like I've read that the color pink doesn't physically exist. Yet we do see pink. So seeing pink is a real experience but does the color pink only exist in your mind.

Hawkins

If you can prove that everything in your mind, then you don't need to open a discussion. So by the time you opened this discussion it means you can't prove anything yet.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Could you say its not a material thing?
Say what is not material? Things like meaning, truth, love, hope, faith, God? Sure, none of those are physical entities. But they are absolutely real experiences human being have. I am not a reductionist, where I see everything as reducible to physicality. But of course, there are physical components to these, obviously.

Can you clarify your question if this doesn't answer that?

Agent

[16] For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
[17] For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
[18] For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
[19] Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
[20] For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
[21] Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
[22] Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, Rom 1

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes, I believe we certainly do. Spiritual pursuits are not only for getting to heaven, they are vital for living in this world.

What I'm trying to get at is would it still be beneficial if spirituality only existed in our mind?

IOW, if there is a real benefit to spiritual pursuits, then maybe it doesn't matter if it is all in our head.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Say what is not material? Things like meaning, truth, love, hope, faith, God? Sure, none of those are physical entities. But they are absolutely real experiences human being have. I am not a reductionist, where I see everything as reducible to physicality. But of course, there are physical components to these, obviously.

Can you clarify your question if this doesn't answer that?

The point I was trying to make is that the experience is the same whether it is all in your head or if a spiritual realm exists that's separate from you.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
[16] For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
[17] For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
[18] For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
[19] Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
[20] For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
[21] Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
[22] Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, Rom 1

Thanks for sharing.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The point I was trying to make is that the experience is the same whether it is all in your head or if a spiritual realm exists that's separate from you.
Well, sure. However we choose to talk about these things, however we might imagine or envision these things, doesn't change the reality of the experience itself. I suppose the best way to say it is, if it isn't true, it should be, because spiritual experience brings such positive rewards to human life.

Talking about these "transcendent" realities, is at best the language of metaphor and poetry, not the language of reason and logic. But we can talk "about" it with those, but it doesn't convey the actual content of it, only the possible context.