• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's all in Your Mind...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and if the Spirit does not exist
then Man is a complete mystery

no cause to be here

extinction pending

Bear Wild

What if science was able to show that the spiritual realm did not exist outside of your head.

Would that matter to you?

giphy.gif

I do not think that science can exclude something it cannot measure and therefore cannot say anything about the spiritual realm. Personally it does not matter since we experience everything in the brain/body system. Spiritual feelings are just that feelings generated from the mind and body connections and thus have meaning to those who experience them. Science does have evidence however that the experiences seem to be healthy just as the dream state and other altered states of consciousness.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Spiritual feelings are just that feelings generated from the mind and body connections
nay to this portion

spiritual feelings are dealt in what is learned

my hand does not teach me
if my hand does anything at all
it's because I thought I should
or felt like it

motivation does not come from the body
your motivation comes from what you think and feel

atanu

Premium Member
What if science was able to show that the spiritual realm did not exist outside of your head.

I read the report. It does not seem to say that the spiritual realm is all in the brain. It points out the correlation between spiritual state and areas of the brain. The correlation does not equal causation and does not negate the first party spiritual experience and its value. In fact, the Yale scientist extols the value of spiritual experiences.

I can question, which part of the brain engenders the vision of the brain? Or, in more general terms, in response to your thread title "it is all in your mind", I ask "Is your assertion out of mind? Is it based on some objective truth outside your mind?"
:)

Actually the causation is the opposite way. Expert meditators can control their state of brain and also induce permanent positive brain changes. The evidence for brain plasticity exists and is overwhelming. So, it is not that spirituality is in brain chemicals. Rather an evolved spiritual person can gain control over electro-chemical mechanisms of the brain.

Last edited:

Bear Wild

nay to this portion

spiritual feelings are dealt in what is learned

my hand does not teach me
if my hand does anything at all
it's because I thought I should
or felt like it

motivation does not come from the body
your motivation comes from what you think and feel

I say yay
My hand tells my what my eyes cannot
My ears tell me what my nose cannot,
My heart, lungs and bowels say what the others do not.

Motivation does come from the body as well the mind and

what we feel is the greatest of motivators coming from the mind and body.

Etritonakin

giphy.gif

If a scientist -another spirit -could show that they were only in my head, I would definitely consider them imaginary / immaterial.

"There is a spirit in man" -we are not separate from the spiritual realm. Nothing which actually exists can be separate from anything else.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Well, until they rip a hole in the space-time continuum from playing around with particle accelerators. :rolleyes: There was some serious concern about them creating mini black holes and who knows what lies on the other side of an event horizon.
Isaac Asimov wrote a neat novel about something in that ballpark. The title is "The Gods Themselves" and it was inspired by the quote: "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" about the leakage between universes.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Isaac Asimov wrote a neat novel about something in that ballpark. The title is "The Gods Themselves" and it was inspired by the quote: "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" about the leakage between universes.
There's a lot of sci-fi and horror novels with that theme. Funnily, one of my favorite zombie series is where a particle accelerator experiment opens a portal to w different dimension, causing demonic beings to come through that possess the dead and it triggers a zombie apocalypse. Lol.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It seems to me that religions, and all else that could be classed as being spiritual, are on to a winner if such can never be disproved by anything we humans could develop - such as science. But are we really so clever - in perhaps creating that which might hinder our development rather than enhance it? I might think otherwise, if as I constantly remark, we had just the one notion of the divine and/or spirituality, but we don't.

exchemist

Veteran Member
That's kind of the question. What if someone was able to prove to you, convince you there was nothing beyond the physical realm. Would you give up on spiritual pursuits?
Since science does not deal in proof but in a particular kind of evidence, the question does not arise.

PruePhillip

giphy.gif

No, because you can't define "spiritual"
Nor can you explain how people report experiences when their EEG brain scans
are completely flat lined, ie clinically dead.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Spiritual experiences involve “pronounced shifts in perception [that] buffer the effects of stress,” the study says. The findings suggest that those experiences can be accessed by everyone, and that transcendence isn’t dependent upon religiosity. That makes studying spiritual experiences and figuring out how to use such states for improved mental health easier for scientists. Next, the researchers hope to test a bigger group of subjects of all ages.

Beyond mental health, scientists study spirituality because the human quest for meaning is timeless and universal. By cultivating spiritual experiences in addition to strengthening our intellectual abilities, people can lead emotionally richer lives and develop more open minds, scientists say.
Scientists found the spiritual part of our brains—religion not required

main-pic-samhain-meditation.jpg
This report seems to show certain parts of the brain are involved in spiritual experience. I think I have read that response to music also involves certain areas of the brain. So all this is saying is that spiritual sensations are a particular kind of thing as far as brain activity is concerned, as music is.

Nobody has tried to use this to argue that music, or the sensations aroused by it, are not real, so far as I know. ;)

exchemist

Veteran Member
No, because you can't define "spiritual"
Nor can you explain how people report experiences when their EEG brain scans
are completely flat lined, ie clinically dead.
But surely, when they report these experiences, their EEG is no longer flat?

If so, we only have their word for it that these experiences actually took place when the EEG was flat, rather than after brain activity started to resume, don't we?

PruePhillip

But surely, when they report these experiences, their EEG is no longer flat?

If so, we only have their word for it that these experiences actually took place when the EEG was flat, rather than after brain activity started to resume, don't we?

Dunno, can't tell. Just heard this in a talk by Peter Fenwick

Three in my family have been through the Near Death Experience - mine in a near drowning accident.
Read a book on the world of twins - makes you realize there's weird things going on in the universe.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Science can't show what is beyond the material realm which is the realm of science.

I think what the OP is saying/asking, is rather "what if science proved that what people call "spirituality", is actually part of the material realm inside of a physical brain".

As in, that there is no such thing as "non-physical spirituality".

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I think what the OP is saying/asking, is rather "what if science proved that what people call "spirituality", is actually part of the material realm inside of a physical brain".

As in, that there is no such thing as "non-physical spirituality".

I think it's reasonable to argue that all experiences in the mind are based on brain chemistry, or whatever. But that doesn't negate the possibility of an external cause or catalyst for those changes.