• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's a mental illness

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I cannot remember the exact time it all began.....

I used to think it was the secret service

Then I thought it was God

Then I thought reality was a computer simulation and that it was The Computer God

Then I thought it was an evil demon sent by Satan

Now I know it is all in my head

Inexplicable, perplexing, bewildering things have happened to me

I have been way beyond the frontiers of sanity and of what is normal

Crazy things have happened to me, very memorable crazy things

But I have now returned

It isn't the secret service

It isn't God

It isn't The Computer God

It's not a demon

It's a mental illness

I am mentally ill

That's the reality of my situation, I realise that now

I revoke all claims I've ever made to the contrary

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I cannot remember the exact time it all began.....

I used to think it was the secret service

Then I thought it was God

Then I thought reality was a computer simulation and that it was The Computer God

Then I thought it was an evil demon sent by Satan

Now I know it is all in my head

Inexplicable, perplexing, bewildering things have happened to me

I have been way beyond the frontiers of sanity and of what is normal

Crazy things have happened to me, very memorable crazy things

But I have now returned

It isn't the secret service

It isn't God

It isn't The Computer God

It's not a demon

It's a mental illness

I am mentally ill

That's the reality of my situation, I realise that now

I revoke all claims I've ever made to the contrary

What is mental wellness?
I mean what conditions would be necessary for you to be mentally well?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Of course it's all in your head. That doesn't make it any less real.
I'd say that it does :D

FT.jpg

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
You may be mentally ill, but you are also more than your mental illness. Your illness may have defined your past but it doesn't need to define your future. You are more self-aware now than you ever have been. I'm proud of you.

... although, I seem to be different than most people who are mentally ill. When I'm symptomatic I'm less spiritual/religious.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Of course it's all in your head. That doesn't make it any less real.
Did you read the OP? Are you familiar with Ed's situation? Feelings of being recruited by the secret service >>> God >>> a computer-God >>> a demon. And cycling between these? These are not real.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Did you read the OP? Are you familiar with Ed's situation? Feelings of being recruited by the secret service >>> God >>> a computer-God >>> a demon. And cycling between these? These are not real.

Now. But during his episodes they are absolutely real to him.

This isn't a knock against his situation. I have my own mental health struggles with anxiety, depression, psychosis and paranoia at times.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Not experiencing a state of mind which leads me to believe an unseen being is communicating with me

I believe that everybody actually has two beings inside of them. Think about it. Your chronozones are 23 pairs, you are literally half of your mother and half of your father's DNA. You also have two separate and equal frontal lobes in your head. So the belief that you have an unseen being is probably just you yourself projecting your other half as an invisible agent in your life.

I talk to myself every single day. I argue with myself often too. I have noticed this phenomena and believe it is similar to your concept of an unseen being. There's two sides to every equation, two voices inside every head, two sides to every coin. While I do talk to myself I make it very clear to me that it is myself that I am talking to.

If you can realize this, and be even a little more self-aware than you are now, I'm sure the mysticism involved with it will soon disappear.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Now. But during his episodes they are absolutely real to him.

This isn't a knock against his situation. I have my own mental health struggles with anxiety, depression, psychosis and paranoia at times.
The recruitment wasn't real. It wasn't happening. Special, intelligent, gifted? All yes.

Recruited by secret service, recruited by God, recruited by a computer, recruited by a demon. Add to that visual, auditory, tactile hallucinations, and some other things too? None of that was real. If the word 'real' is problematic, none of it is true.

Not only that, but, Ed has been asking for help with this for years.

Some people never recover from something like this. Supporting the recovery, is the right thing to do.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
(Hugs) mental illness can be tough. I dont have hallucinations but I do have mental illness. I get flashbacks sometimes of the past that pull me out of reality briefly and i have to remind myself of the present. I dont know if that's similar to your situation but it's the best I got to relate. Im here for you if you ever need to talk.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I'm not sure what exactly you are getting at here

Sure,

Let's say a Dr figures out how to plant a tiny wire in your brain, that can somehow make you think you are in pain, and turns it on. Now it doesn't cause any actual harm to you, just makes you think your hurting.

Are you really in pain or not?

I don't think it really matters whether it's simulated pain or real pain, if you are feeling it then it is real to you.

Edit: Now what I am getting at isn't that the **** you thought was a reflection of reality, but that in the moment that it is happening, it's real to you. and that's really all that matters. Recognizing that, and learning to work around it if and when it starts happening again.