• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Italy's far right set to win election

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
How is that indoctrination? Please elaborate. When I was a kid, we used to have a guy dressed up as a bear come read stories to us. Was that indoctrination too?
I just want to know the purpose of that. There are already teachers who read them stories.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I just want to know the purpose of that. There are already teachers who read them stories.
The purpose is to have fun. For reading time to be a fun time for kids. To encourage reading.
Like the guy dressed as a bear reading stories to my class. Which reminds me, you didn't answer either of my questions. Why is that?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The purpose is to have fun. For reading time to be a fun time for kids. To encourage reading.
Like the guy dressed as a bear reading stories to my class. Which reminds me, you didn't answer either of my questions. Why is that?
A bear makes sense because so many bears are protagonists of stories.
Drag queens are supposed to entertain other people, other than children.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Mmm .. especially in crisis of some kind.
Mankind is inherently weak, especially where wealth is involved. :(
Or, in absence of crisis, they tend to manufacture a crisis. More commonly, though, they will point at a real issue or existing crisis and then attribute the cause to "x political group" or "y ethnic group". This is the most common strategy embraced by the modern fascist movement. They will point to real social ills (most often caused by social inequality and enforced through capitalism), and ascribe the cause to "immigrants" or "leftist degeneracy" or "LGBT people".

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I am finding it a common theme that those who adhere to - or just defend - fascists tend to be easily drawn in by euphemistic language. Just look at a lot of my exchange above.
I think that after WW2 the term fascismo, which is an Italian term, has been de-contextualized from its own Italian context and used as synonym as authoritarian, dictatorial, etc... By whom? By others.

But that creates confusion. One cannot borrow a term from a very short period of history of a country, and universalize it. That is my own personal and humble opinion, of course.:)

History is history. Let's move on. Let's think of the future.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I think that after WW2 the term fascismo, which is an Italian term, has been de-contextualized from its own Italian context and used as synonym as authoritarian, dictatorial, etc... By whom? By others.

But that creates confusion. One cannot borrow a term from a very short period of history of a country, and universalize it. That is my own personal and humble opinion, of course.:)

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. After the wake up call of Mussolini and Hitler, we need to remain vigilant against people who walk that same path, or talk that same talk.

So far, your position seems to be that we should ignore the policies, rhetoric and stated values of individuals, instead favouring some kind of "vibe" that is ill-defined, or making the best-case interpretation of any kind of euphemistic language.

I don't. I advocate that creating ethno-states is bad, and we should fight like hell against it. I advocate that stripping minorities of rights is bad, and we should fight like hell against it. I advocate that using fascist talking points and advancing Nazi rhetoric is bad, and we should fight like hell against it.

If you don't want to stand for anything, please go ahead and move aside for those of us who do.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Fascinating -- back to fascism.

Oddly, Italian has no way to translate "Il Duce" (Mussolini) into the femine. :rolleyes:
Interesting how we have changed definitions to where conservatism translates into fascism.

I read that:

Ms Meloni's right-wing alliance - which also includes Matteo Salvini's far-right League and former PM Silvio Berlusconi's centre-right Forza Italia - will take control of both the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies, with around 44% of the vote.

Regardless, It isn't like she has total control. (Only 24%)

I haven't really followed her but I did see the following:

https://twitter.com/greg_price11/st...^s1_c10&ref_url=https://www.weaselzippers.us/

didn't see any red flags. IMO

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I agree... I think people today have used the word "fascism" as a political tool to demean conservatism rather than applying it properly. (We do learn from the past but today's broad paint brush doesn't match history)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Interesting how we have changed definitions to where conservatism translates into fascism.

I read that:

Ms Meloni's right-wing alliance - which also includes Matteo Salvini's far-right League and former PM Silvio Berlusconi's centre-right Forza Italia - will take control of both the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies, with around 44% of the vote.

Regardless, It isn't like she has total control. (Only 24%)

I haven't really followed her but I did see the following:

https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1574251105940377607?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1574251105940377607|twgr^bbda6990b30b7574d28fc0a486b9ac6dfa9d2e8a|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https://www.weaselzippers.us/

didn't see any red flags. IMO
Thank you for posting that video about identity and consumer slaves. And Chesterton, above all.
Please, share it if you can.:)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I agree... I think people today have used the word "fascism" as a political tool to demean conservatism rather than applying it properly. (We do learn from the past but today's broad paint brush doesn't match history)

In the Twitter video you posted, Meloni quotes Chesterton and says: there will be a time where you will have to fight to affirm 2 plus 2 equals 4. That time has come.
Wonderful.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
View attachment 67007

I think that the three pillars of this victory, God, Fatherland and Family mean this:
That public servants need to be loyal to the Fatherland because God is watching them.

And all those Freemasons, Bankers, Financial group that the lounge-loving and carefree Left-wing has been pandering, do not serve the Fatherland.
This victory is the demonstration that all these wealthy people are powerless. The people stands.
As long as it doesn't mean, "Let's discriminate against anyone who doesn't believe in our form of god, and try to promote a theocracy." Americans are very wary of those who want this here. Europe may not have it that bad there, but I don't know.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As long as it doesn't mean, "Let's discriminate against anyone who doesn't believe in our form of god, and try to promote a theocracy." Americans are very wary of those who want this here. Europe may not have it that bad there, but I don't know.
Whenever the POTUS swears the oath, he says so Help me God.
We are speaking of an oath. As a Christian, I believe he makes a promise before God, so he has to defend the Constitution and he has to be loyal to the American People.
I believe in this.
That's not theocracy because non-Christians will be protected and respected.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I still don't get how you're getting from 'party wants to promote traditional family' to 'party wants to ban all opposition.'

Promoting one type of family is making it sound like it is better and preferred. Two parent gay families have less risk of behavior issues in children than single parent families. Why not promote two-parent families instead?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Whenever the POTUS swears the oath, he says so Help me God.
We are speaking of an oath. As a Christian, I believe he makes a promise before God, so he has to defend the Constitution and he has to be loyal to the American People.
I believe in this.
That's not theocracy because non-Christians will be protected and respected.

Well, they don't have to say that anymore. I wish more people had your view of that, but sadly, in the US, it's different. Our right wing Christians are anomalies compared to those in other developed nations. Of course we are an anomaly compared to other developed nations...