• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Italy 50% mortality rate with COVID-19

Cooky

Veteran Member
No. You do not. That is the trouble.

I understand that there are thousands of cases undocumented. And that they will recover, and are excluded in the total number of infected persons, thus making the recovery rate higher than what the hard facts will show.

...So I do. :cool:

Perhaps you don't get the difference between hard facts and estimates? Or is it that you think your perspective is the only one that matters?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I understand that there are thousands of cases undocumented. And that they will recover, and are excluded in the total number of infected persons.

Perhaps you don't get the difference between hard facts and estimates? Or is it that you think your perspective is the only one that matters?
I have a degree in physical science. You will have an uphill struggle trying to patronise me over numbers. :cool:

Cooky

Veteran Member
I have a degree in physical science.

Good. Do you know the difference between hard evidence and estimates?

Also, why are you biased against hard evidence, as an alternate perspective? Is it totally worthless for all useful purposes?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I understand that there are thousands of cases undocumented. And that they will recover, and are excluded in the total number of infected persons, thus making the recovery rate higher than what the hard facts will show.

You're the one hyper focused on the country in Europe that has the oldest population. This happened because the elderly (many of their deaths have been those in their 80s and 90s) are at risk.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Why Deaths from Coronavirus Are So High in Italy

Outside of mainland China, Italy now has the highest number of deaths in the world from COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. And the country’s fatality rate from COVID-19 — at 5% — is much higher than the global average of 3.4%, according to the World Health Organization.

Factor of ten out?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Of
I'm not. You need to quit spreading fear.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/12/heres-why-the-coronavirus-death-rate-is-so-high-in-italy/
Italy has the highest number of deaths from the coronavirus besides mainland China, with at least 827, and almost 12,500 infections — a fatality rate of 5 percent, compared to the global average of 3.4 percent, according to a report.

The staggering death toll in Italy, whose entire population of 60 million is under lockdown, has prompted many to wonder why so many Italians have succumbed to the illness compared to other countries.

For one, the Italian population is the oldest in Europe, with about 23 percent of the inhabitants age 65 or older — and with a median age of 47.3, compared with 38.3 in the US, according to Live Science, which cited the New York Times.

Many of those who have died in Italy were in their 80s and 90s, a segment of the population that is more susceptible to the ravages of COVID-19.
Of course there are others at risk, but the greatest thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Cooky

Veteran Member
But when it comes to the risk of Covid19, either personal or global, the hard evidence is nearly useless because it's so limited and skewed.
Tom

It works for me, and others like me, who need a real reason to worry. For me, saying the virus has a 1 to 3% fatality rate is a laugh off. For me, and others like me, that means this is a big joke.

...I know it's not a joke now. Because I've seen the hard evidence.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It works for me, and others like me, who need a real reason to worry. For me, saying the virus has a 1 to 3% fatality rate is a laugh off. For me, and others like me, that means this is a big joke.

...I know it's not a joke now. Because I've seen the hard evidence.
You've seen and promoted evidence that revolves around what is on average an older population. Yes, they are at risk. Those with things that compromise their immune system and health, they are at risk. But those who are young or in good general health have a very different outlook and prognosis. They may get sick, but one source puts the mortality rate of those in their 20s and under at .09%. Flu is .1% For those 80 and older, it seems closer to 20%. Those in their 60 face about a 5%. But of all groups, 80 year olds are likely the "primary" victim of this, with everyone under 50 having much lower fatality rate. Even those with heart disease are at 13%, cancer at 7.6%.
Does the Coronavirus Think I’m Old?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Basically, if you're like me and under 50 and in good general health you need not fear death, but you should probably avoid those of chronic health issues amd the elderly, especially if you arent isolating.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Basically, if you're like me and under 50 and in good general health you need not fear death, but you should probably avoid those of chronic health issues amd the elderly, especially if you arent isolating.

I think that's the point. It's not just our own health at stake, we also have a responsibility to protect and support the vulnerable.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Generally true. However, there are people out there like me, who don't scare very easily... I've climbed 300 ft. Steel towers with no safety lanyard all the way to the top. People like me need a 'real' reason to be careful. Whether it's protecting the elderly or looking at the hard evidence... Whatever it takes.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Your hard evidence was to take an old population and assume it to be the norm instead of the exception.

Nope. That's your opinion.

Relax, Shadow and look at this cute dog. :)

20200318_090042.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah. Looking at Italy and concluding the Corona virus has a 50/50 life or death rate, you looked at an elderly population, excluded those still sick, and assumed old people dying from it means everyone has the same bloated risk. The just is not the case. Italy is an exception, not a norm. This is supported by their death rate being radically different from other counties.