• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It looks like free speech in the UK is now on the slippery slope.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I know You Tube removed the channel of a Canadian guy who had so many videos about Europe, Brexit...etc...
I also helped them by translating some videos from Italian into English.

YT clearly removed that channel because of the rightwing content

Shad

Veteran Member

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Worse as it is using a corporation to enforce speech laws and holding it responsible for the users own actions instead of merely a government entity abusing due process and violating the constitution which can be challenged.

Hm...your description makes the latter sound worse to me.

It seems like both are attempts to thwart criminal activity, but the UK example only violates rights in the form of forcing a private business to police the users of their product, which I suppose could be likened to the rules governing attendance at a public space like a concert. The American example feels more invasive: The government has records and access to personal material and property, even in the private sphere of our homes.

GoodbyeDave

Are you a communist?
No. I voted Conservative in the last election.

If not, then you should make protection of free speech your business.
That's a non sequitur, if ever there was one! The fact that I'm not a communist doesn't mean that I have to support libel or incitement to treason, both of which are illegal in all states as far as I know. It doesn't mean that I have to support hate speech, which is illegal in most civilised countries. "Non-communist" doesn't equate to admirer of Ayn Rand.

And I notice that you didn't answer my question.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I know You Tube removed the channel of a Canadian guy who had so many videos about Europe, Brexit...etc...
I also helped them by translating some videos from Italian into English.

YT clearly removed that channel because of the rightwing content
That batty CEO of theirs is going to run that place into the ground.

Notanumber

A Free Man
No. I voted Conservative in the last election.
If not, then you should make protection of free speech your business.[/QUOTE]
That's a non sequitur, if ever there was one! The fact that I'm not a communist doesn't mean that I have to support libel or incitement to treason, both of which are illegal in all states as far as I know. It doesn't mean that I have to support hate speech, which is illegal in most civilised countries. "Non-communist" doesn't equate to admirer of Ayn Rand.

And I notice that you didn't answer my question.[/QUOTE]

The issue of free speech is bigger than Britain.

Communists cannot stand free speech.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The problem is you're going to cloister people over the course of time to the realities that surround us using insulating policies. Not to mention the abuse that can come from that through the use of falsified propaganda.

Let's use the extreme example of the people in North Korea. They will not be prepared if the s*** ever hits the fan. The shock will do a lot more harm imo.
Law and order, and moderation of all media and communication is a no brainer.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There never has been and never will be totally free speech anywhere.
Where countries set the limits varies enormously.
This never has been a question of left or right
Or communism or capitalism.
Even in the USA and it's constitunal right to free speech sets many limits.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
True. Yet we see time and time again with people going overboard with knee-jerk prosecution which begs the question of who is making these decisions of what crosses the line.

Michigan lawmakers defend U.P. college student charged over Snapchat gun photo

In most countries it is people making complaints to the police.
They then investigate and provide evidence to a prosecution service.
This then decides if there is sufficient evidence to bring the case to court.
Guilt or innocence Is decided by a jury.
A judge establishes a suitable sentence. If guilty.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
True. Yet we see time and time again with people going overboard with knee-jerk prosecution which begs the question of who is making these decisions of what crosses the line.

Michigan lawmakers defend U.P. college student charged over Snapchat gun photo

This thread is about the UK, though.

And I'm guessing that no Michigan lawmakers defended a student. Lawmakers legislate, and defence lawyers defend. Maybe Judges can be seen to defend in their judgements, but it's about correct titles for different folks.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
How long will Mr Justice Knowles keep his position after he ruled against the police forces across the country on how they record "non-crime hate incidents"?
He was right.
There should be no recording of 'Non-Crime incidents.
There should be no recording in the UK of arrests.

There should only be Criminal Records of Warnings, Cautions and Convictions. And Judge Knowles did not rule against police forces 'across the country', he judged one situation.

You seem to turn incidents in to fake news, the way you write.

Notanumber

A Free Man
He was right.
There should be no recording of 'Non-Crime incidents.
There should be no recording in the UK of arrests.

There should only be Criminal Records of Warnings, Cautions and Convictions. And Judge Knowles did not rule against police forces 'across the country', he judged one situation.

You seem to turn incidents in to fake news, the way you write.

I know Mr Justice Knowles was right but I fear that he is a lone voice or at least one of the very few prepared to stand up against the PC culture in the College of Policing.

It seems that he is one of the few that has not so far been infected by Common Purpose and I applaud him.