• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It is Holy Ghost, not "Holy Spirit"

Sky Rivers

BIBLE VERSES ABOUT HOLY GHOST

John 14:26 - But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The use of the name HOLY GHOST. This is where I agree with Catholic traditionalists, the original King James Version (I've seen modern corrupt printings of it) and some Protestants.

I like the sound of the words "HOLY GHOST" even. GHOST is a Germanic word meaning GUEST in the original sense. When Christian people invite the HOLY GHOST into their hearts, they invite Him as a GUEST. It's not like Halloween "ghost": an apparition. I love the word GHOST. It's an amusing term to me.

The Holy Ghost is often depicted as a pure white dove in Christian art:

Luke 3:22

And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

About the corrupt book claiming to be the KJV. I saw one of these so-called "bibles" in a rescue mission one time and was surprised to see the term 'little girl' printed in it and the words "King James Version" was printed outside on the cover. The term "little girl" would have not been used at the time the original King James was published in about 1611.

The term for "little girl" would be something like "maiden", "maidchild" or "damsel". The term "get up" is rather modernistic too.

Mark 5:41

And he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise.

King James Version (KJV)

How can we be sure we have a KING JAMES bible with the same exact text as the original published in 1611?

Clues: make sure the terms "Holy Spirit" and "little girl" are not printed in it.

We have to be aware of any counterfeits the Devil might fashion these days
to confuse us.
Matrix, suburbs, bottles rather than wineskins, highway, stuff, couch... and so on. I entirely agree with you about the WEIRD thing calling itself the KJV these days. It has gramarg mistakes and uses "divers" rather than "diverse", and calls God "dreadful", rather than awesome. I find the translations disturbing.

MJFlores

John 14:26 - But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The use of the name HOLY GHOST. This is where I agree with Catholic traditionalists, the original King James Version (I've seen modern corrupt printings of it) and some Protestants.

I like the sound of the words "HOLY GHOST" even. GHOST is a Germanic word meaning GUEST in the original sense. When Christian people invite the HOLY GHOST into their hearts, they invite Him as a GUEST. It's not like Halloween "ghost": an apparition. I love the word GHOST. It's an amusing term to me.

And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

About the corrupt book claiming to be the KJV. I saw one of these so-called "bibles" in a rescue mission one time and was surprised to see the term 'little girl' printed in it and the words "King James Version" was printed outside on the cover. The term "little girl" would have not been used at the time the original King James was published in about 1611.

The term for "little girl" would be something like "maiden", "maidchild" or "damsel". The term "get up" is rather modernistic too.

And he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise.

King James Version (KJV)

How can we be sure we have a KING JAMES bible with the same exact text as the original published in 1611?

Clues: make sure the terms "Holy Spirit" and "little girl" are not printed in it.

to confuse us.

King James Version (KJV)

to confuse us.

Have you heard of synonyms?

A synonym is a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another lexeme in the same language. Words that are synonyms are said to be synonymous, and the state of being a synonym is called synonymy. For example, the words begin, start, commence, and initiate are all synonyms of one another. Wikipedia

You say ghost, I say spirit
I wonder what the forum bible KJV say on

Psalm 51:11
or John 4:24

would it say ghost or would it say spirit?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
((I’m seeing online forum debating now as an MMORPG. Seriously.))
Well put. If I actually choose to "debate" at all, I generally insist on a one-on-one debate and it must be against someone I have a difference of opinion with but still some respect for as a person. Not a lot of people qualify.

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10

King James Version (KJV)

to confuse us.
What is wrong with the New King James Version, or saying Holy Spirit?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

King James Version (KJV)

to confuse us.
Aaaaand the original KJ departs from the original Greek, too. In the original Greek, Mary isn’t a “Virgin.” There are several more modern translations that are more accurate to the original texts than the original KJV.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The name of this entity in the NT is τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον.

ἅγιον [hagion] means holy, sacred, venerable ─ whence eg hagiography.

πνεῦμα [pneuma] means wind, air, breath, life, spirit, ghost ─ whence eg pneumatic, pneumonia. In this case spirit and ghost are synonyms, as they were when the KJV was put together at the start of the 17th century, though since then 'ghost' has come to indicate a dead human, except for the 'Holy Ghost' usage. (For example, in Shakespeare's Hamlet (1st folio), the ghost of Hamlet's father is called 'Ghost' in the stage directions, but introduces himself as 'I am thy father's spirit'.)

The word in the Tanakh is ruach, also meaning wind, breath, spirit. In both cases the 'spirit of God' is the intended reference, that is, a manifestation of God rather than a separate entity. (The Trinity doctrine isn't found in the NT, not being invented until the 4th century CE.)

Rubellite Fae

Yakṣī
The name of this entity in the NT is τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον.

The word in the Tanakh is ruach, also meaning wind, breath, spirit. In both cases the 'spirit of God' is the intended reference, that is, a manifestation of God rather than a separate entity. (The Trinity doctrine isn't found in the NT, not being invented until the 4th century CE.)

Right, but there's always something lost in translation—even more so with divine mysteries. So, the argument here is about a word translated from Hebrew to Greek, again translated from Greek to an (purposefully) archaic form of Early Modern English, and being used by speakers of Modern English. So, Holy Spirit, Holy Ghost, Divine Wind, Breath of God, or even Divine Lifeforce (as breath was equated to living) could be used. Some of these are more culturally loaded than others. None will have precisely the same connotation as Ruach Hakodesh.