• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It Is Good For A Man Not To Have Sexual Relations With A Woman.”

Skwim

Veteran Member

1 Corinthians 7:1-2
Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.

Anyone care to explain god's (speaking through Paul) rather odd declaration here?

74x12

Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.

Anyone care to explain god's (speaking through Paul) rather odd declaration here?

It's good if someone can handle it; so they can keep focused on other important things. Obviously being married takes a lot of effort and time. That is why Paul was not married so he had more time for ministry.

But in the next verse Paul advises the Corinthians to have their own wife; so they aren't tempted to fornication. Which would be a good reason for the Catholic church to change it's celibacy policy for priests. Because not everyone is a Paul.

Ellen Brown

I sort of have issue with Paul as a representative of God. Some at the time felt that a person who is totally committed to God will find a wife and children and providing for them too great a distraction. So, marriage appears to be sort of a compromise between man and God. I'm not expert on the subject but it is all through the NT in what Paul and Jesus both say. I think it is the reason for Matt 5:29 and Matt 19:12. Becoming a Eunuch is sort of common in the Bible, but for a long time here in America at least self castration would get you a lengthy stay in a sanitarium. For those who think that total commitment to God is too much, they should go their way in peace.

I "think" that the early Catholic church Priests were often Eunuchs ???

Let the brawl begin.

Ellen Brown

I sort of have issue with Paul as a representative of God. Some at the time felt that a person who is totally committed to God will find a wife and children and providing for them too great a distraction. So, marriage appears to be sort of a compromise between man and God. I'm not expert on the subject but it is all through the NT in what Paul and Jesus both say. I think it is the reason for Matt 5:29 and Matt 19:12. Becoming a Eunuch is sort of common in the Bible, but for a long time here in America at least self castration would get you a lengthy stay in a sanitarium. For those who think that total commitment to God is too much, they should go their way in peace.

I "think" that the early Catholic church Priests were often Eunuchs ???

Let the brawl begin.

AND, just reading a bit, apparently in the US, 200,000 men with advanced Prostate Cancer are castrated. Some take Estrogen to stop bone loss. Oh and then there are those creepy Transgender folk ...

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's good if someone can handle it; so they can keep focused on other important things.
But god doesn't present any qualification such as, it's alright to be boppin' babes "if someone can handle it." Nope, he just says it aint good to be messin' around with women. Period. However, he does go on to say how to avoid fornication. In essence; in order to avoid having sex without being married, get married. Kind of a no-brainer if one thinks about it, but that's god for ya.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

I don't think there is any explaining it, other than Paul is perhaps one of those false prophets Jesus warned about because God commanded several for humans to be fruitful and multiply, and we can't do that unless men and women are having sex. So it can't be good for a man to not have sex with women because if he has no sex with women he is not reproducing, which is the opposite of what god told humans to do.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As often happens, the West has a prescription with no rationale behind it. You might disagree with the reasons given, but in the East brahmacharya is sometimes identified as being about celibacy

The term brahmacharya is sometimes identified with celibacy, but while the preservation of vital energy through moderation in sexual activity is part of brahmacharya, this is a narrow view of the practice. In Vedic culture, the word brahmacharya denoted the first of four stages of life—that of the student.

Brahmacharya: The Middle Path of Restraint

Ellen Brown

But god doesn't present any qualification such as, it's alright to be boppin' babes "if someone can handle it." Nope, he just says it aint good to be messin' around with women. Period. However, he does go on to say how to avoid fornication. In essence; in order to avoid having sex without being married, get married. Kind of a no-brainer if one thinks about it, but that's god for ya.

I'll have to do research to fully understand that one. Likely some issue with interpretation I think.

Ellen Brown

I don't think there is any explaining it, other than Paul is perhaps one of those false prophets Jesus warned about because God commanded several for humans to be fruitful and multiply, and we can't do that unless men and women are having sex. So it can't be good for a man to not have sex with women because if he has no sex with women he is not reproducing, which is the opposite of what god told humans to do.

Not all Christians recognize Paul as an Apostle.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Not all Christians recognize Paul as an Apostle.

So I take it that neither of you believe 1 Corinthians is the word of god. That about it? Not all of the Bible can be considered to be god's word.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So I take it that neither of you believe 1 Corinthians is the word of god. That about it? Not all of the Bible can be considered to be god's word.

It should be obvious I don't accept any part of the Bible as the word of god.

Ellen Brown

upload_2018-9-17_21-56-59.png
upload_2018-9-17_21-57-1.png

It is a matter that has bothered me since I first read the Bible. There were 12 Apostles, and one hanged himself. Paul had stood by and allowed men to kill believers in Jesus Christ as having committed Heresy. I'm uneasy about what happened after, and that doesn't get him off the hook for me. In the aftermath Paul seems to have written most of the NT, and changed the direction of the church. Jesus Christ set one direction and he heavily edited it.

Mormons have the same issue with the early church, though I don't agree with all of their interpretation.

If you look at the Jews, G_d gave them lots of bashings for straying um constantly.
I think that Christians very quickly stopped following Jesus Christ.
In Islam, I think that the Islam that Muhammad envisioned, fell apart almost immediately after his death.
Humans are screw ups.

Earthling

David Henson

This is an example of the importance of knowing who the Bible was written to and the significance of the time it was written. God told Adam and Eve to multiply, but by the time Paul came on the scene, thousands of years later, multiplying and filling the earth had been accomplished. It wasn't a Christian concern.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This is an example of the importance of knowing who the Bible was written to and the significance of the time it was written. God told Adam and Eve to multiply, but by the time Paul came on the scene, thousands of years later, multiplying and filling the earth had been accomplished. It wasn't a Christian concern.
He told way more people than Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply. There were about ~200 million people when Paul lived (every source varies with estimations - 200 million is a reasonable middle ground). That's about the current population of Pakistan. The Black Death killed about 25 million, WWII killed about 50 - 80 million. Plus god didn't set an end goal for when we would know we have fulfilled his commands of be fruitful and multiple, and 200 million quickly takes a dive if there is any widespread catastrophe. Surely god knows this.
And how the hell do you know that god decided the being fruitful thing was accomplished by the time Paul came around?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
God was not wrong. If people do not procreate, the age ratio goes hay-wire, so they must, whatever happens.

HonestJoe

In the context of the surround text, it seems like a simple “no sex outside marriage” thing. Since you’re smart enough to realise that but not exactly an enthusiastic biblical scholar, I presume there was an ulterior motive for asking the question? :cool:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

That has to do with "losing precious juices" which otherwise help you to grow spiritually
So it is correct that it is said "it is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman"

But do note that it does not say "it is bad for a man to have sexual relations with a woman"

It is not a judgment. Just an observation. No more than that.

People who desire sex can go for it. People who desire spiritual life better think twice.
You are free to choose. Your life, your decision. Not someone else's business.

Earthling

David Henson
He told way more people than Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply. There were about ~200 million people when Paul lived (every source varies with estimations - 200 million is a reasonable middle ground). That's about the current population of Pakistan. The Black Death killed about 25 million, WWII killed about 50 - 80 million. Plus god didn't set an end goal for when we would know we have fulfilled his commands of be fruitful and multiple, and 200 million quickly takes a dive if there is any widespread catastrophe. Surely god knows this.
And how the hell do you know that god decided the being fruitful thing was accomplished by the time Paul came around?

How do I know? The Bible, of course, do you think I make this stuff up in my head?

God's request to Adam to fill and subdue the earth isn't fulfilled. It won't be until we enter the seventh day, the day of God's rest and then fulfill it. However, it was fulfilled to the point where it was no longer a requirement listed as a Christian obligation. By the time Paul came around.