• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It does not matter what other think of you.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
All that matters is what you think of you. Others may not know you, so they think they know you and they start to make a picture of who they think you are in their mind, and they express it to you. No matter if it is negative or positive, all that matter is that you know who you are :)

Do not be afraid to be who you want to be, No matter if that has to do with your gender preferences or, or your belief or any other part of you want to be. nor does it matter that others make fun of you. they do not know the real you. they only know you from their own limitation.

If someone harrases you, don't bite back toward them, all you need to ask is. Do you really know your self? because you seem to portray your own limitation to who in your mind you think I am. I am not that.
When you can say this to those who bully you, then you won. they can not touch you anymore.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
All that matters is what you think of you. Others may not know you, so they think they know you and they start to make a picture of who they think you are in their mind, and they express it to you. No matter if it is negative or positive, all that matter is that you know who you are :)

Do not be afraid to be who you want to be, No matter if that has to do with your gender preferences or, or your belief or any other part of you want to be. nor does it matter that others make fun of you. they do not know the real you. they only know you from their own limitation.

If someone harrases you, don't bite back toward them, all you need to ask is. Do you really know your self? because you seem to portray your own limitation to who in your mind you think I am. I am not that.
When you can say this to those who bully you, then you won. they can not touch you anymore.

It matters quite a lot. For now I just touch on the extreme cases. Your spouse hates you and kills you. Your parents don't want you and let the state take care of you. Your boss just doesn't like you no matter what you do. There are plenty more with people not involved in you life, yet their impression of you can make your life harder or easier.

MNoBody

you have always been perfect worthy deserving
it always has been perplexing why immortal beings would ever seek immortality...as if they lost it somehow, or needed to go out there and get it or earn it or learn it
that is, unless these beings had become horribly confused about their identity
id, it certainly seems to cause that....so it seems
the christ said people had forgotten their root
seems that is true

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It matters quite a lot. For now I just touch on the extreme cases. Your spouse hates you and kills you. Your parents don't want you and let the state take care of you. Your boss just doesn't like you no matter what you do. There are plenty more with people not involved in you life, yet their impression of you can make your life harder or easier.
But it all comes down to what you think about your self, Others can say and do what they want, as long you know with your self what is correct, it does not matter what others think of you.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
But it all comes down to what you think about your self, Others can say and do what they want, as long you know with your self what is correct, it does not matter what others think of you.

The only way it doesn't matter is if you are self sufficient and deal with no one else but to learn to be self sufficient you had to learn from others so you had to rely on others opinion of you. As long as you deal with society, societies opinion matters greatly ask an oppressed group of people.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The only way it doesn't matter is if you are self sufficient and deal with no one else but to learn to be self sufficient you had to learn from others so you had to rely on others opinion of you. As long as you deal with society, societies opinion matters greatly ask an oppressed group of people.
You can learn from others but still not be affected by their personal view of you.
Are the oppressed because they themself feel hurt, or because others actually hurt them? Maybe they don't believe in themself enough to not be affected?
And before you ask, I was bullied (oppressed) for more than 12 years, so I know a bit about it. But I have forgiven them all for what they did.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
You can learn from others but still not be affected by their personal view of you.
Are the oppressed because they themself feel hurt, or because others actually hurt them? Maybe they don't believe in themself enough to not be affected?
And before you ask, I was bullied (oppressed) for more than 12 years, so I know a bit about it. But I have forgiven them all for what they did.

I'm going to give you a real life one.

This man I knew would intermittently be in so much pain he kept vomiting and then it would go away. He had this problem for 3 years going to 3 different Doctors. He believed he was sick but the Doctors believed it was in his head. On his last straw he went to another doctor. This Doctor believed him. He told the man he didn't think it was in his head but the only way he could go forward was to open him up and physically look inside him. The man agreed. The Doctor found that his spleen was inflamed but was on the wrong side of the body. The doctor removed the spleen and the man was cured. If that doctor never believed the man the man would have died.

We need other people and we need other people and other people views on us will change our lives. If this last doctor refused to believe him the man would of gave up and probably died. The man also had 3 years of unnecessary pain and loss of work because 3 other doctors wouldn't believe him or thought he was nuts. It matters what people think of you sometimes it will cost your life if they don't think well of you.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
What you say is true but we still got to deal with the painted pictures of opinions.

To cooperate with people, honesty over image, substance over style. People ain't flawless anyways.

It's the perfect people that I question. The ones thinking they know it all I question as well.

There is all kinds of different people in the world. I reserve all judgment. Time reveals all those important people.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm going to give you a real life one.

This man I knew would intermittently be in so much pain he kept vomiting and then it would go away. He had this problem for 3 years going to 3 different Doctors. He believed he was sick but the Doctors believed it was in his head. On his last straw he went to another doctor. This Doctor believed him. He told the man he didn't think it was in his head but the only way he could go forward was to open him up and physically look inside him. The man agreed. The Doctor found that his spleen was inflamed but was on the wrong side of the body. The doctor removed the spleen and the man was cured. If that doctor never believed the man the man would have died.

We need other people and we need other people and other people views on us will change our lives. If this last doctor refused to believe him the man would of gave up and probably died. The man also had 3 years of unnecessary pain and loss of work because 3 other doctors wouldn't believe him or thought he was nuts. It matters what people think of you sometimes it will cost your life if they don't think well of you.
I don't know if you misunderstand my post on purpose or if you just looking for a way to make the OP look wrong. But the OP is meant to be about how we deal with people who treat us badly. Has nothing to do with daily life where we need doctors or not. It's about when someone on purpose tries to harm us mentally or physically so we become "lesser" then themself.
We as individuals are just as much "worth" than anybody else. Others think they know us, or they want to pull us down because they feel we have something they can not have. But no matter what others do to us. it is always our own being, our own thoughts, and understanding that say who we are. Others can not tell us who we should be. Society can not tell us who we are. The only one who can do that is our self.

Its all about believing in our self, to know who we are.

MNoBody

does not the buddist ideation of the 'self'
serve a conceptual function analogous to the term 'god', in the religious context?
since 'god' and the 'self' are both concepts once they are defined in words
so which 'self' is one gnowing when one is instructed to know thy 'self'
does one feel real, or are they really feeling?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
does not the buddist ideation of the 'self'
serve a conceptual function analogous to the term 'god', in the religious context?
since 'god' and the 'self' are both concepts once they are defined in words
so which 'self' is one gnowing when one is instructed to know thy 'self'
does one feel real, or are they really feeling?
A buddhist would maybe say something the line of, there is no permanent self.
There are both Gods and Buddhas that we can learn from, but sticking to the teaching of one at the time is in my understanding important.
To me Both Gods and Buddhas are real beings. not a concept of something of imagination

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me...

I've always kind of lived by that. As long as it's not a physical thing, never really bothered me about what people say.

However some people can't deal well with words. Maybe something with their psychological makeup.

I agree with you but lots of folks can be manipulated by words. So while this IMO is really good advice for one's self, we still have to be careful what we say to others. Otherwise it is nice to be in control of one's self and not be able to being manipulated by someone else's words.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me...

I've always kind of lived by that. As long as it's not a physical thing, never really bothered me about what people say.

However some people can't deal well with words. Maybe something with their psychological makeup.

I agree with you but lots of folks can be manipulated by words. So while this IMO is really good advice for one's self, we still have to be careful what we say to others. Otherwise it is nice to be in control of one's self and not be able to being manipulated by someone else's words.
How we act, speak and think, will affect how others see us, and it can also affect if others want to hurt us, if they think we are an easy target for them. So yes we do need to watch what we say and how we act toward others

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
You are 3 persons (until Self Realization):
1) The one others think you are
2) The one you think you are
3) The one you really are

Milton Platt

I get where you are coming from with this post, and I don't entirely disagree in some regards. but ultimately, it matters very much what others think of you. What others think of you affects your social life, family life, love life, and career.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
All that matters is what you think of you. Others may not know you, so they think they know you and they start to make a picture of who they think you are in their mind, and they express it to you. No matter if it is negative or positive, all that matter is that you know who you are
When we understand that our ego is an inner/outer reflection with the outside world, when we meditate on our dynamics; we can feel when someone feels negative vibes or replies so quick, that it is almost an automotive ego reaction, that is often accusative in the process.

Our karma is affected by every interaction, even if we pretend it doesn't affect us; so for example:

If when we talk to people we scowl at them, the effort to scowl scrunches the face (a miser looks like one); which is someone has become detached from the child within, which changes the way they look on the outside into an ugly person.

We are all dynamic music inside a symphony, our goal of existence is making the music within worth listening to for all; that then the light of understanding, inspires others to over come their own inner material darkness of low vibrations.

The very nature of being "I" creates shadows, accept this, and deal with emotion; not rectify it by observing it doesn't matter.

Like Lao Tzu says first cultivate the Dao within ourself, then in our family, then our community (54); yet people try to change others, when they don't even know their own ways (47).

In my opinion. :innocent:

Last edited:

MNoBody

A buddhist would maybe say something the line of, there is no permanent self.
There are both Gods and Buddhas that we can learn from, but sticking to the teaching of one at the time is in my understanding important.
To me Both Gods and Buddhas are real beings. not a concept of something of imagination
ok, thanks
phenomenology observed gets altered into conceptualizations of the observed thing or event merely through the process of rendering the observations into a cohesive eschatology, it gets slipperier when it gets mythologized and turned into folklore and fables and urban legends etc....
IMO there is indeed something epicly phenomenal going on behind all the ideation.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I don't know if you misunderstand my post on purpose or if you just looking for a way to make the OP look wrong. But the OP is meant to be about how we deal with people who treat us badly. Has nothing to do with daily life where we need doctors or not. It's about when someone on purpose tries to harm us mentally or physically so we become "lesser" then themself.
We as individuals are just as much "worth" than anybody else. Others think they know us, or they want to pull us down because they feel we have something they can not have. But no matter what others do to us. it is always our own being, our own thoughts, and understanding that say who we are. Others can not tell us who we should be. Society can not tell us who we are. The only one who can do that is our self.

Its all about believing in our self, to know who we are.

I have no problem in believing in yourself, my problem with the OP is that you state it doesn't matter what other people think of you. In society how other people think of you is a major factor of how you life will be. You can fully believe and accept yourself and still be abused by society.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have no problem in believing in yourself, my problem with the OP is that you state it doesn't matter what other people think of you. In society how other people think of you is a major factor of how you life will be. You can fully believe and accept yourself and still be abused by society.
I live as little as possible within what you call society.