• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It’s STILL the Supreme Court, stupid...

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
This is a revivication of a thread I instigated back on 10/22/2007.

Since that date, indeed two justices did retire, and were replaced by President Obama’s nominations of Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomyor, two women (obviously) deemed by all conservative thinkers as being “liberal” in their legal perspectives. They replaced two retiring judges considered to reflect a similar moniker.

So, apologies for the pun, but "even steven". :)

However, what I wrote nearly 5 years ago applies nearly exactly again today. Another two, three, or even four justices may either retire or simply pass on in the coming four years. The duly elected President will nominate for Senate confirmation the justices that will replace the departing ones (note: it is very rare that a nominee does not see confirmation).

Whether or not you care much at all about either the gender. ethnicity, age, or qualifications of these prospective candidate justices, one thing is clear.

Within the next four years, the Supreme Court will hear cases and render verdicts upon our very basic civil liberties, rights, protections, and the laws that define them as passed by local, state, and federal legislatures.

From voter’s rights, to immigration, to marriage equality, to women’s heath issues of personal choice, to privacy laws both in your home and when online, using your phone or computer, and ever more efforts to reinforce the notions that “money is speech” and “corporations are people”.

The Supreme Court’s impact upon our most cherished and enduring personal freedoms and liberties will be put to the test at the lone and final say of those nine justices.

It is often said that “elections have consequences”, and they most certainly do. Fortunately, elections for President take place every four years, and untoward consequences may be stemmed by the electorate. Supreme Court decisions, and their consequences, last for decades, or much, much longer.

Most justices tend to favor the concept of “Stare Decisis” [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precedent]. precedents previously established by earlier courts. This is in part due to deference in honoring the justices that came before, and in lending confirmation of the integrity of both the Supreme Court when ruling upon foundational matters of Constitutional interpretations as they apply to law.

More simply put, It’s kind of embarrassing to play ping-pong with the US Constitution every time the winds of change blow a bit…or some new kids show up on the Court.

However…and let’s be clear here. Justices are just as human as any of the rest of us, and even (or despite) their best personal efforts to rule impartially and without bias regarding their individualized philosophical ideals and hopes as they apply to law under the Constitution…well, as they say, there’s the rub.

In most general terms, justices identified as “liberal” tend to reflect the philosophy that the US Constitution is a “living” document, purposefully crafted by the founders to retain a nuanced and thoughtful flexibility in accommodation of changing times and challenges to freedom and civil liberties, in hopes of fulfilling the core principles upon which it is crafted…not the least of which is the term “equal justice for all”. All, meaning every citizen. Every citizen. Not “separate/different…but also mostly equal in most other cases…” Either we treat and deem each other as equals under law, or we choose to qualify “Constitutional rights” as focused and applied only to the select and special.

“Conservative “ justices typically self-identify as “Constructionists”, more rigid in their beliefs that the Constitution is essentially “perfect” as it was constructed and ratified at it’s inception, including those often nagging and highly interpretive first 10 Amendments (The “Bill of Rights”).

Besides no longer insisting that slaves or people of largely dark skins should be regarded as 3/5 of a person [Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the United States Constitution],largely again because of the 13th Amendment, many if not most Constructionists feel that 18th century realities need be reflected in the written laws and ideals of society today. As if that is what the “Founder’s Intended”.

At any rate…as I deem myself both an advocate of a free society that defines itself as such by expanding personal liberties whenever possible, instead of limiting separate rights to people I don’t know, don’t approve of, or just don’t look/think like me; and that we only deserve the rights we are willing to fight for against those that would deny us the same…

I encourage all of voting age and those eligible to cast a ballot this Nov, to think about what your senses of value, justice, and equality mean to you, and the consequences you may have to endure by doing nothing, or hoping to simply impose your own values (and not what we find in the Constitution) upon all that you may not love, know, or care to meet.

Believe me when I tell you, the next elected President may very well determine that course for the next fifty years, or longer. It’s your call.

[FWIW, I'm a middle-aged married white guy, unlikely to be directly or personally affected by any SCOTUS decisions that adversely affect my own rights and liberties. This ain't about me, it's about you and the generations to come, and how you wish to see liberty and justice defined in the next 50 years(.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I encourage all of voting age and those eligible to cast a ballot this Nov, to think about what your senses of value, justice, and equality mean to you, and the consequences you may have to endure by doing nothing, or hoping to simply impose your own values (and not what we find in the Constitution) upon all that you may not love, know, or care to meet.
I don't intend to take your well thought out thread off topic, so I won't be responding to any comments made to the following---it will be my first and last comment on it.

I have always considered remarks advocating people to get out and vote to be ill-conceived. Personally, I don't want people who need to be goaded or even reminded to vote to be a part of determining the future paths our country might take. I believe a country, or any political entity, is far better served by those naturally inclined to take enough of an interest in it to vote on their own volition. Let those who don't care enough to vote stay home and pick bellybutton lint while the rest of us happily exercise our responsibility.

-FINE-

4consideration

Premium Member
“Conservative “ justices typically self-identify as “Constructionists”, more rigid in their beliefs that the Constitution is essentially “perfect” as it was constructed and ratified at it’s inception, including those often nagging and highly interpretive first 10 Amendments (The “Bill of Rights”).

Besides no longer insisting that slaves or people of largely dark skins should be regarded as 3/5 of a person [Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the United States Constitution],largely again because of the 13th Amendment, many if not most Constructionists feel that 18th century realities need be reflected in the written laws and ideals of society today. As if that is what the “Founder’s Intended”.

It appears to me from your wording here that you think it would have been better for slaves to have been counted as whole persons in this section of the Constitution at the time it was written. Is that correct?

s2a

I don't intend to take your well thought out thread off topic, so I won't be responding to any comments made to the following---it will be my first and last comment on it.

I have always considered remarks advocating people to get out and vote to be ill-conceived. Personally, I don't want people who need to be goaded or even reminded to vote to be a part of determining the future paths our country might take. I believe a country, or any political entity, is far better served by those naturally inclined to take enough of an interest in it to vote on their own volition. Let those who don't care enough to vote stay home and pick bellybutton lint while the rest of us happily exercise our responsibility.

-FINE-

Well, let's just say that I seek to inspire prospective voters to participate in their own democracy.

I understand your perspective, I do.

Why should people that evidently don't read, are not involved in citizenship, or can even name the sitting Vice President be encouraged to vote and lend simply ignorant and disengaged voice to matters and directions they share either no interest or engagement in promoting or dissuading?

Because...ignorance and ennui always can be cured.

Always.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." (as cited in Padover, 1939, p. 89)

". . . whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government; that, whenever things get so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be relied on to set them right." (as cited in Padover, 1939, p. 88)
- Thomas Jefferson

s2a

It appears to me from your wording here that you think it would have been better for slaves to have been counted as whole persons in this section of the Constitution at the time it was written. Is that correct?

IF you like, I'll lend you a personal clarification...

...under law, every birthed person is a person, and a whole person unto themselves...no fractions involved.

Clear?

4consideration

Premium Member
IF you like, I'll lend you a personal clarification...

...under law, every birthed person is a person, and a whole person unto themselves...no fractions involved.

Clear?

Please answer my question. Do you believe that the referenced section should have considered slaves as whole persons?

dust1n

Zindīq

I'm voting third party, but the consequences are close to the same as doing nothing, eh? :eek:

s2a

Please answer my question. Do you believe that the referenced section should have considered slaves as whole persons?

I'm not quite sure what you're seeking in direct answer from me.. but at the outset let's acknowledge that any debate that relegates any human being to a counted and considered, and/or some fractional measure of a man (person) obviously reflects some odious compromise attained in that 18th century to ameliorate slave holders and slavery advocates of their day.

During the debates and deliberations of the Articles of Confederation and even more personally argued points of morality and contention that most certain;y ensued. good men sought to attain consensus upon founding a nation.

Sad to say, in order to gain overall consensus, equivocations and compromises were necessary to drag slavery States into the concept of Constitutional self-govenrment as a republic.

You can Wiki the history to see which States demanded the validation of slavery if you like...

At any rate, and quite obviously, that "compromise" to gain a consensus (including the 3/5 verbiage) was inevitably bound to challenge and armed resistance down the road, which culminated in a full blown civil war.

I am neither revisionist of US history, nor inclined to play apologist for the men engaged in debate in their day to either found a nation of 13 states as one...or to try to coexist as 13 independent nations on shared soil and interests.

Personally, I would have sided with the folks that saw slavery as immoral and antithetical to any notions of a "free society"...especially in the declaration of purpose that "All men are created equal".

But I was not there, and neither were you.

My personal ethics and sense of humanistic morality regarding slavery, human bondage/servitude, or persecution, or diminishment of person, gender, or national origins...much less the unequal empowerment of title/deed/land owners as superior or exclusive beyond and above the otherwise "great unwashed" folks (you know, the young, the elderly, the in-firmed, the ill, the poor, the abandoned, the immigrants, the heathens and harlots, etc)... can not lend any proper remonstrance to the times that were...

If I could rewrite history, and had influence upon decisions and compromises needed to ratify the US Constitution in the 18th century, fair to say I would have been singing in the chorus of voices at that time opposed to any conciliation to ameliorate slave owners and their positions presented..

Do you still feel your inquiry unanswered?

If so, please expound upon your lacking understanding... and what might lend you a more perspicacious point or rebuttal...

4consideration

Premium Member
The question was answered quite explicitly. I'm not sure what drivel is being referred to...

I don't think he answered it directly. I think he danced around it.

So, if his answer is really clear to you, would you please tell me what you think his answer to my direct question was -- yes or no? That is all I have been asking.

edit: BTW, welcome back!

Last edited:

s2a

You could cut the pompous drivel and just answer the question directly. That would help.

OK, now I understand...

...You are unprepared to address inconvenient and messy matters like context, historical facts, and other unpleasant realities...

One you are challenged beyond your "talking points" of "killer questions"... you are just lost in the desert with an empty canteen....

Forgive my overt pomposity in the face of your confident ignorance...and rapt willingness to float some rhetorical and meaningless (and presumedly unanswerable conundrum/challenge)...in which I'll even allow my own crass and sometimes abrasive skepticism to lent spotlight to what some can only hope one day will be "painfully dumb".

Your inquiry posed this:
"Please answer my question. Do you believe that the referenced section should have considered slaves as whole persons"

In the vacuum of any lent context provided on your part in presenting such an absurd "yes/no" query... I did my best to at least lend some history and relevant facts as substrate for construction of a relevant and viable reply.

Not to be overly rude, but it seems that you are ill-equipped to respond to contextual challenges premised upon historical record and ugly little facts.

May I suggest you apply for internship at Fox News???

You may be just the person they are looking for...

...for they too never wish to deliberate upon anything that engages critical thought or fallacious rationale, or most especially... facts themselves.

There is no moral argument or agreement to meet or agree upon with morons that willingly ignore history and evidentiary written record. There isn't.

And so, in the Fox News style of journalism, I ask you now:

"Have you stopped beating your wife/girlfriend, and when did you stop enjoying doing so?"

YES or NO, and when, exactly?

4consideration

Premium Member
"Have you stopped beating your wife/girlfriend, and when did you stop enjoying doing so?"

Nice try. Oh, no -- you really stumped me there!

I am a female married to a man, so your question is funny, as well as over-used.

So, my question to you is why would you ask a person that has never had a wife or a girlfriend such a question?

And, I see that you still have not directly answered the original question. I know that you could answer it. You chose not to. You could have done it in a word, and included a brief explanation. But, you didn't.

Last edited:

4consideration

Premium Member
OK, now I understand...

...You are unprepared to address inconvenient and messy matters like context, historical facts, and other unpleasant realities...

One you are challenged beyond your "talking points" of "killer questions"... you are just lost in the desert with an empty canteen....

Forgive my overt pomposity in the face of your confident ignorance...and rapt willingness to float some rhetorical and meaningless (and presumedly unanswerable conundrum/challenge)...in which I'll even allow my own crass and sometimes abrasive skepticism to lent spotlight to what some can only hope one day will be "painfully dumb".

Your inquiry posed this:
"Please answer my question. Do you believe that the referenced section should have considered slaves as whole persons"

In the vacuum of any lent context provided on your part in presenting such an absurd "yes/no" query... I did my best to at least lend some history and relevant facts as substrate for construction of a relevant and viable reply.

Not to be overly rude, but it seems that you are ill-equipped to respond to contextual challenges premised upon historical record and ugly little facts.

May I suggest you apply for internship at Fox News???

You may be just the person they are looking for...

...for they too never wish to deliberate upon anything that engages critical thought or fallacious rationale, or most especially... facts themselves.

There is no moral argument or agreement to meet or agree upon with morons that willingly ignore history and evidentiary written record. There isn't.

And so, in the Fox News style of journalism, I ask you now:

Cool, personal stuff. Good going. ;)

Your guesses about my personal intent and your uncomplimentary assumptions and snide comments don't bother me a bit. I see them as an attempt to sidetrack the conversation from the point that I intend to make. I asked you a very simple question in my first post -- and the wording of my question could have given you a clue about what I meant if you actually read what I wrote within the context of what you wrote, instead of trying to figure out what I meant and deciding not to directly answer the question. (Hint, I was talking about your wording -- that means your writing, and the message you were conveying with it.)

I quoted this (highlighting included this time for emphasis):

Besides no longer insisting that slaves or people of largely dark skins should be regarded as 3/5 of a person [Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the United States Constitution],largely again because of the 13th Amendment, many if not most Constructionists feel that 18th century realities need be reflected in the written laws and ideals of society today. As if that is what the “Founder’s Intended”

And responded with this.

You see, your quote was what you were using to support this (most especially the highlighted part):

In most general terms, justices identified as “liberal” tend to reflect the philosophy that the US Constitution is a “living” document, purposefully crafted by the founders to retain a nuanced and thoughtful flexibility in accommodation of changing times and challenges to freedom and civil liberties, in hopes of fulfilling the core principles upon which it is crafted…not the least of which is the term “equal justice for all”. All, meaning every citizen. Every citizen. Not “separate/different…but also mostly equal in most other cases…” Either we treat and deem each other as equals under law, or we choose to qualify “Constitutional rights” as focused and applied only to the select and special.

I agree with you All citizens should be treated equally under the law. No dispute there.

What I am disputing is what appears to me to be a disingenuous representation -- on your part -- of this section of the U.S. Constituion. You imply (through the connection that you make and it seeming as though it has been applied to individuals) that this section of the constitutions establishes a practise of regarding individual slaves as 3/5 person. That is not correct.

You also imply that it is a negative thing for a person to ever be referred to in terms of a fraction. There is no historical dispute that I am aware of as to the existence of slavery and the fact that slaves were treated as slaves under the law. However, the 3/5 issue did not establish anything with regard to their person-hood, or personal value, or how the law was applied to them. It shows up only in the section that you quoted, which is directly and ONLY related to the structural makeup of the government, and specifically with reference to the method for calculating the number of Reprentatives for the House from each state.

There was bitter dispute between the Abolitionist and the Slave Holders over this issue. The Abolitionist did not want the slaves to be counted AT ALL -- that's 0 -- since to do so would be to use the slaves own numbers against them by allowing their "masters" to vote on their behalf, and in support of continued slavery. The Slave Holders wanted to count them as whole persons. No reference is made in the Constitution of referring to people according to a proportional value in matters of law. You imply that it does.

Here we go:
Transcript of the Constitution of the United States - Official Text

"Article. I.
Section. 1.
All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.
Section. 2.
The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.
No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.
When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies.
The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment."

This section is only about The House of Representatives.

Your further lamenting about the apparent injustice of considering a person according to a fraction and that we should always view people as whole, while it appears nice on the surface, would in this case be the argument from the position of the Slave Holders who wanted them counted as whole at the time of the actual writing of the Constitution. I do not think that you would have supported slavery, so you do not need to defend that position.

I think that you are presenting a disingenous representation of the 3/5 issue for the purpose of supporting an attitude or perspective that the Abolitionists were probably not that nice, either -- so we shouldn't hold the Constitution or any of the Framers in high regard. Hey, all these guys agreed to a proportional value for slaves. The implication is that it is the proportional value that makes them all suspect, and the document suspect -- or you would have been lamenting that 0 was not used, rather than bringing up proportional value. It doesn't sound as good on the surface to say that slaves should have been counted as 0, and it would have required more explanation. But, it would have been honest. Although, it wouldn't be useful in an attempt to cast a pall over all the Framer's of the Constitution in support of your position in your opening piece.

dust1n

Zindīq
I don't think he answered it directly. I think he danced around it.

So, if his answer is really clear to you, would you please tell me what you think his answer to my direct question was -- yes or no? That is all I have been asking.

Obviously, no.

If I could rewrite history, and had influence upon decisions and compromises needed to ratify the US Constitution in the 18th century, fair to say I would have been singing in the chorus of voices at that time opposed to any conciliation to ameliorate slave owners and their positions presented..

edit: BTW, welcome back!

Thanks.