• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

isnt god in us all

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
From what i heard hindus believe god is in everyone, so why does Krishna say they are in me but I am not in them?

That's a different philosophical viewpoint from the "God is in all" one.

Different Hindus have different theistic beliefs; not all of us are pantheists. (Though I am.)

Maya3

Because everything IS God. So it's not that God is separate from us and a tiny bit of Him/Her/It is in us. We are already in God as parts of the whole.

Maya

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
If you believe that god is omnipresent than it's obvious that god is present within us too.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
He is saying all beings have their origin in Him, but He does not originate in them. It doesn't mean He is not within us. He does say He is the Supersoul that resides in every being. He is not dependent on us for His existence.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly as others have said, and as simple as it can be explained, all things are in God as God is the Whole but the Whole is not equivalent of the individual.
Therefore God, in his completeness, is not 'in' the individual. However, God as paramatma is within all of us.

From this religious perspective, each of us represent a tiny portion of God and it is why we say that God is us but we are not God.

Pleroma

philalethist
From what i heard hindus believe god is in everyone,

Yes, Isha vashyam idam sarvam jagathyam jagath - Isha Upanishad, verse 1 - The lord is enshrined in the hearts of all, all things belongs to God, covet nothing.

so why does Krishna say they are in me but I am not in them?
Vishvarupa darshana.

Mahabharat05ramauoft_0884.jpg

Vishvarupa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:

atanu

Premium Member
From what i heard hindus believe god is in everyone, so why does Krishna say they are in me but I am not in them?

A metaphor (other than the objects in space/air) is the metaphor of the cinema screen and the story unfolding on it. The screen is not in the characters that are apparently crying or fighting on the screen. This metaphor is the best for understanding this verse.

However, the above verse must be understood together with the following:

10.20 Ahamaatmaa gudaakesha sarvabhootaashayasthitah;
Ahamaadishcha madhyam cha bhootaanaamanta eva cha.

10. 20. I am the Self, O Gudakesha, seated in the hearts of all beings! I am the beginning, the middle and also the end of all beings.
---------------
Whatever we know, we know by the power of cognition of the Self, seated in our centre. Mind mistakes that as our body/mind's intelligence. However, that intelligence is never sullied or tainted because of false notion in minds "I am this body. This intelligence is mine. This life is mine..............."

The Self-Atma that is Krishna in Gita does not abide as individual self and does not get tainted. Apparent individual selves are, however, powered by the Self in the Heart. The reality of individual selves is the Self only.