• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamic Polygamy On The Way Out?

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
All I can think is that Muslims seem to have no shortage of practices to keep people chaste. I kind of like it.

I consider that sexuality is put in it's rightful place in Islam, it's seen in a very positive light but two things are valued with the most serious importance: Modesty and Family.

I don't like female circumcision so much.

Or any kind for that matter, the Qur'an explicitly prohibits it.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Or any kind for that matter, the Qur'an explicitly prohibits it.
Really? Could you give a reference for this? I've never heard of any Qur'anic statement either way on this matter.

Would you happen to know why people in some Islamic countries do it?

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Really? Could you give a reference for this? I've never heard of any Qur'anic statement either way on this matter.

Firstly in Islamic theology itself there is the concept of Fitra which necessitates the truth that the human body itself (among many other things) in it's natural state is not a mistake, therefore making circumcision a violation of God's creation.

Here's a few verses:

(Allah is) "Who has perfected everything He created." (32:7)
"Certainly We created man in the best make." (95:4)
(the Shaitan says) "And most certainly I will lead them astray and excite in them vain desires, and bid them so that they shall slit the ears of the cattle, and most certainly I will bid them so that they shall alter Allah's creation;
and whoever takes the Shaitan for a guardian rather than Allah he indeed shall suffer a manifest loss.
He gives them promises and excites vain desires in them; and the Shaitan does not promise them but to deceive.
" (4:119-120)

There are so many more verses that say explicitly that we are created perfectly, which cannot be taken lightly. Logically consider that if mutilating animals is considered deception from the Shaitan, then what does that mean for humans mutilating each other/themselves? who are considered the most important of all Allah's creation.

Would you happen to know why people in some Islamic countries do it?

Two things: There are Hadiths that support it (which are wrongly instigated) and there are cross-cultural aspects, as well as a form of import from Jewish practice.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
So there's no male circumcision?

I never said that, yet people still go against what the Qur'an says, unfortunately.

Don't they trim pubic hair to make it harder for a young man to enjoy masturbation?

I said we view sexuality in a positive light, not that we support masturbation or sleeping around - both of which are prohibited (Haram). Psychology itself is the major area we think about it, especially from the perspective of self-discipline and the way that lacking self-control over the carnal-self effects one's Ego among other things. Then there is the Ethical aspect as well.

What would be the point if they didn't circumcise?

Are you pro-circumcision? :confused:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
This is the Sunni DIR by the way, whole lot of new Sunnis contributing!!!

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I never said that, yet people still go against what the Qur'an says, unfortunately.

I said we view sexuality in a positive light, not that we support masturbation or sleeping around - both of which are prohibited (Haram). Psychology itself is the major area we think about it, especially from the perspective of self-discipline and the way that lacking self-control over the carnal-self effects one's Ego among other things. Then there is the Ethical aspect as well.

Are you pro-circumcision? :confused:
Please tell me whether they perform male circumcision and whether it's in the Qu'Ran. Also, since I am not Sunni Muslim, you may tell me to leave if you desire.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
*** Mod Post ***

This is a DIR, meaning those that are NOT believers in Sunni Islam are *only* allowed to ask polite questions, not debate or otherwise comment.

10. Debating in Non-debate Forums or Posting in DIR/ONLY Forums
Religious forums is structured to provide spaces for many different kinds of conversations. Different kinds of conversations belong in different areas of the forum:

1) Debates should be kept to the debate areas of the forums, including Religious Debates, General Debates, and Political Debates. Debating anywhere other than these forums may result in moderation. Same Faith Debates is governed by special rules described here. Only members of the specified groups(s) can participate in these threads.

2) All DIR (Discuss Individual Religions) forums are for the use of members who identify with those groups or practices. Debating is not permitted in DIRs; debates between members of specified groups should be posted in Same Faith Debates. Members who do not identify with a DIR group may only post respectful questions; we recommend creating a thread in the Religions Q&A instead where there is more freedom to comment. DIR forums are not to be used as a cover to bash others outside of the DIR group.

3) The Political World forum has several "only" subforums that are for the use of members who identify with those political leanings. Members who do not identify with those political leanings are not allowed to post there. The staff more strictly moderate Rule 10 violations where there is some other rule violation involved, such as preaching in a DIR or trolling a political forum a member doesn't belong to. More benign violations may be subject to informal reminders or moving threads to the appropriate location.

Wasp

No, polygamy isn't on the way out.

Clearly Sheikh Ahmad Al-Tayeb is not calling for the end of polygamy.

"He added that polygamy is a right for husbands but is “a limited right,” adding: “It can be said that it is permissible but needs a reason… if this reason does not exist then this is no longer justifiable.” “Polygamy is allowed on condition of fairness and if there is no fairness then it is forbidden to remarry,” he said."

“One wife is enough”: Al Azhar Grand Imam calls for reform of polygamy - رصيف 22

He is criticising the way some Muslims practice it.

Ellen Brown

No, polygamy isn't on the way out.

Clearly Sheikh Ahmad Al-Tayeb is not calling for the end of polygamy.

"He added that polygamy is a right for husbands but is “a limited right,” adding: “It can be said that it is permissible but needs a reason… if this reason does not exist then this is no longer justifiable.” “Polygamy is allowed on condition of fairness and if there is no fairness then it is forbidden to remarry,” he said."

“One wife is enough”: Al Azhar Grand Imam calls for reform of polygamy - رصيف 22

He is criticising the way some Muslims practice it.

As Salaam Alaikum: I would have no idea where to find this story, but Allah SWT, through the Angel, told Muhammad PBUH to have only one wife. When he complained, eventually he was told 3 or 4 wives, but they all must be treated equally and supported. So, if a man wanted to be most pleasing to Allah SWT, he would have one wife. :)

Ellen Brown

Last time I was in Arabia I was surrounded by young men in their early 30s.. driver, camera crew and translator .
.two of them were engaged to marry . We had some interesting discussions...followed by time I spent with the all nada society. More recently I have been reading that the ahe for women to marry has gone up to 22. 6 or7 children used to be the norm.. now it's 4 or 5.

I do not understand what you were saying.

Wasp

As Salaam Alaikum: I would have no idea where to find this story, but Allah SWT, through the Angel, told Muhammad PBUH to have only one wife. When he complained, eventually he was told 3 or 4 wives, but they all must be treated equally and supported. So, if a man wanted to be most pleasing to Allah SWT, he would have one wife. :)
That's a horrendous story. I don't believe it. I also don't belive there is any ruling according to which having only one wife is better.