• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamic community reaches out... for cash

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
The Islamic Community of Bosnia and Herzegovina recently held a fundraiser to support the Gazi Husrev-bey Foundation, a local Islamic charity.

Several of Bosnia and Herzegovina's most high-profile Islamic folk singers attended - most notably Hanka Paldum and Zehra Bajraktarevic. The fundraiser also included performances by folk dancers, prayer sessions, and an Islamic folk dance for supporters.

Hanka Paldum with her award
f_1m_1de3b70.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TImrWt3kyJQ

Zehra Bajraktarevic accepts her award from Imam Spahic
f_2m_75e08c7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLqeLk4PKnw

Bosnian Muslim folk dancers in traditional costume
f_3m_f2fe3b5.jpg

Supporters enjoying an Islamic folk dance
f_4m_c0365fc.jpg

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
The Islamic Community of the City of Prijedor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, has released a calendar of all the city's mosques at various stages of reconstruction (all were destroyed during the war, in fact the whole Islamic heart of Prijedor was bulldozed to the ground). Proceeds from the calendar will go towards further reconstruction.

f_normalKALENm_8f48832.jpg

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
The Islamic Community of the City of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, is requesting assistance in funding several surgeries of Lamija Alihodzic in Austria. The daughter of Mirza and Belma Alihodzic of Sarajevo suffers from a disease that has caused one kidney to fail, and the other is expected to fail any time now.

Mirza, Lamija, and Belma Alihodzic - Lamija Alihodzic
4400b9t.jpg
2je5wxs.jpg

If you would like to make a donation, the following is the information your bank teller will need:

Bank name: UPI BANKA SARAJEVO
SWIFT code UPI BANKE SARAJEVO: UPBKBA22

First and last name:
MIRZA ALIHODŽIĆ
Account:
Transaction account of the UPI Bank:
566735 29 3405 (in EUR from abroad)
566735 21 73282 (in KM from BiH)

Address of the recipient:

Antuna Branka Šimića 29/1
71000 Sarajevo
Bosna i Hercegovina

Phone No.: 0038761803977
ID Card number: 04BQB9147

Bank Address:
Obala Kulina bana 9a
71000 Sarajevo
BiH

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Djamila said:

Supporters enjoying an Islamic folk dance

f_4m_c0365fc.jpg
Why it called islamic dance? I'm just curious, is it called so just because Muslims Bosnians are the only people who can dance in it?

Donate then ........ shake it :D

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
The Truth said:
Why it called islamic dance? I'm just curious, is it called so just because Muslims Bosnians are the only people who can dance in it?

Donate then ........ shake it :D

It's just a Bosnian Kolo (circle dance). Kolos are more or less the same wherever you go, but there's certain styles that belong to each people. Here's how ours looks in motion:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=75U_gOAnPMA

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
The Truth said:
I see, so in Bosnia, when you say islamic dance so you mean just a Bosnian dance.

Am i right?

No, there are Bosnian Croat and Bosnian Serb folk costumes and dances as well, which are Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christian respectively. There are also Jewish costumes and dances, which are only slightly different from the Islamic variety - but the Jews don't use Muslim peasantry pieces. So you wouldn't see them with the colorful dhimmi (baggy pants) that Muslim women wore, but only the dresses than Muslim aristocratic women wore. Their dances also don't have some of the accessories of the Muslim versions, for example the kerchief and tamburine. They replace these with gold finger-clickers, like you see in Spanish folk music (they came to Bosnia from Spain).

From the outside looking in, most of the dances are very similar - but the folk costumes should be very, very easy for an outsider to tell apart. You could show someone Bosnian folk costumes and say: This is what a Muslim wore 500 years ago, and this a Roman Catholic, and this an Orthodox Christian - and they would never confuse them again. Again, Jews are different - and I remembered now a mistake in what I said earlier. In Sarajevo, the Jews wore Muslim-style clothes and did Muslim-style dances because we were the dominant group when they arrived. In other areas, they copied Christian style because Christians were dominant.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Djamila said:
No, there are Bosnian Croat and Bosnian Serb folk costumes and dances as well, which are Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christian respectively. There are also Jewish costumes and dances, which are only slightly different from the Islamic variety - but the Jews don't use Muslim peasantry pieces. So you wouldn't see them with the colorful dhimmi (baggy pants) that Muslim women wore, but only the dresses than Muslim aristocratic women wore. Their dances also don't have some of the accessories of the Muslim versions, for example the kerchief and tamburine. They replace these with gold finger-clickers, like you see in Spanish folk music (they came to Bosnia from Spain).

From the outside looking in, most of the dances are very similar - but the folk costumes should be very, very easy for an outsider to tell apart. You could show someone Bosnian folk costumes and say: This is what a Muslim wore 500 years ago, and this a Roman Catholic, and this an Orthodox Christian - and they would never confuse them again. Again, Jews are different - and I remembered now a mistake in what I said earlier. In Sarajevo, the Jews wore Muslim-style clothes and did Muslim-style dances because we were the dominant group when they arrived. In other areas, they copied Christian style because Christians were dominant.

Interesting, forgive my ignorance again :sorry1: , but i want to ask about the islamic dance in Bosnia, you call it so JUST to distanguish between you and the others or you use nasheed so that's why you call it islamic?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
The Truth said:
Interesting, forgive my ignorance again :sorry1: , but i want to ask about the islamic dance in Bosnia, you call it so JUST to distanguish between you and the others or you use nasheed so that's why you call it islamic?

I think your confusion stems from how the term "Muslim" is used in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Saying someone here is "Muslim" or something is "Islamic" has one of two meanings, or both. The first meaning is religious, for example "Ajsa is a Muslim", or "The Koran is an Islamic book". The second meaning is ethnic, for example "The leader of the Communist Athiests is Muslim" or "These days "Jedna si jedina" is an Islamic song".

When I say I'm a Muslim, I'm using both meanings. I do believe in the Islamic faith, so I am Muslim in the religious sense. I'm also ethnically Muslim - even if I was an athiest, my ethnicity is Muslim and people would still describe me as a Muslim because of my family name and associated heritage.

Now Bosniak is an equal term that is becoming more and more popular as a way to differentiate between the two. These two sentences are equal meaning:

"She's a Muslim, but she isn't a practicing Muslim or anything."
"She's a Bosniak, but she isn't a practicing Muslim or anything."

You can see how using the term "Bosniak" to describe the Bosnian Muslim ethnicity makes things easier to understand. A lot of Bosnian Muslims who aren't actually Muslim take offense to the term "Muslim" so they're especially eager users of the term "Bosniak" - still, though, all these terms remain interchangable.

It's the same for Roman Catholics and Orthodox Christians in Bosnia.

These two sentences have the same meaning:

"She's a Roman Catholic, and she's Roman Catholic."
"She's a Bosnian Croat, and she's Roman Catholic."

In the following two sentences I'm going to describe an athiest couple, but still both these sentences mean the same thing and they're both accurate:

"He's an Orthodox Christian, but he married a Muslim girl."
"He's a Bosnian Serb, but he married a Bosniak girl."

I realize it doesn't make sense, so I won't ask that - but do you understand, at least?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I know the difference between Muslima and Islamic, dear Mila, but the term "Islamic dance" is new to me, because i didn't hear such a thing in any Muslim country, that's all. Forgive my ignorance. :)

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
You need to re-read what I posted, The Truth. I explained the difference between "Muslim" and "Muslim", not "Muslim" and "Islamic". ;)