• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamic Basics, part 1: Is the Quran perfect, timeless, and clear?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
As a non-Muslim studying Islam, I'm told that Muslims claim that the Quran is perfect, timeless, and clear.

Is this a correct understanding?

(Note: In a parallel thread I'm going to ask about Muhammad.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Were it so, we'd see more agreement among Muslims.
Instead, it conveys whatever the reader wants.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Like any other religious text, it is subject to a multitude of interpretations, which is why we see so much diversity among religions using the same text.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
As a non-Muslim studying Islam, I'm told that Muslims claim that the Quran is perfect, timeless, and clear.

Depending on your knowledge in the Arabic language, if you want to know the real answer.

InvestigateTruth

Not all Muslims have this view. I believe many earlier Muslims did not view Quran in this way. The Quran itself says its religious laws are beneficial until an appointed time. The quran says, believing in the Book is acceptible only utill the Qaim comes. After that there is no benefit in believing in the quran.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Depending on your knowledge in the Arabic language, if you want to know the real answer.

Well the Quran refers to itself frequently. It declares itself to be perfect and timeless and clear. Correct?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Those who are clear are perfect, you can't judge the unclear while not knowing
what it means except for those who want to condemn Islam.
I saw no need to condemn Islam until I saw how so many adherents behaved.
Of course, there are many fine Muslims. But I'd say fine people are that way
no matter what their religious orientation. I've even met some Christians who
are good people. It's true!

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I saw no need to condemn Islam until I saw how so many adherents behaved.
Of course, there are many fine Muslims. But I'd say fine people are that way
no matter what their religious orientation. I've even met some Christians who
are good people. It's true!

I agree, I met many bad people who are actually religious.
yes people can be good and bad regardless of their religion.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Trust me?
That'll lead nowhere good.

I went to a Church today.

for 90 minutes they went "full on" stating "We Christians are the only true religion. We are the best and only. All others goto hell". Was even a big Church (Baptists) with 4000 members (one of the biggest in Holland). Even a man who told me plenty of times "I don't judge your religion" afterwards asked me "Was a good service, you liked it?". Unbelievable these Christians. They are so brainwashed that they are "brain dead". All reason has gone out of their brains (at least in this Church).

Very good experience. This was the best experience to "know" that this type of Christianity is best to avoid for me (In Holland 99% of Christians think this way, as far as I have experienced).

Hence it was easy for me to write "You are not a Christian, so I can follow you blind on this one".

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

The Quran is a series of Muhammad's discourses compiled in the 7th century during very different social circumstances from today. There was a civil war going on during a significant period over the 22 years the Quran was revealed. As with Jesus, Buddha and Moses before Him, Muhammad told many allegorical stories that require deep reflection. Some of the laws and teachings are no longer appropriate for our current age.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I went to a Church today.

for 90 minutes they went "full on" stating "We Christians are the only true religion. We are the best and only. All others goto hell". Was even a big Church (Baptists) with 4000 members (one of the biggest in Holland). Even a man who told me plenty of times "I don't judge your religion" afterwards asked me "Was a good service, you liked it?". Unbelievable these Christians. They are so brainwashed that they are "brain dead". All reason has gone out of their brains (at least in this Church).

Very good experience. This was the best experience to "know" that this type of Christianity is best to avoid for me (In Holland 99% of Christians think this way, as far as I have experienced).

Hence it was easy for me to write "You are not a Christian, so I can follow you blind on this one".
It's evil for them to be so prejudiced.
Tis typical of those cheese under the fingernails, below sea level
dwell'n, wooden shoe wear'n, bicycle ride'n, tulip breed'n Dutch.

Yerda

Veteran Member

Of course not.