• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
????????????
You're wonderfully leaving out - as the Wikipedia article did - that Adebolajo said, while his hands were dripping with blood, that they killed that soldier for the sole reason that "people are dying daily at the hands of British soldiers", and that as a soldier he was an "eye for an eye". Not because god told them to do it, not because he was a Christian or not a Muslim, because of British occupation.

Now you are misrepresenting me.
I said those acts are done out of religious motivations.
Yeah, I'm not so much worried about what you've said regarding this, but what you're trying to get me to say through wild extrapolating and "reading between the lines".

So you are just going to ignore the information I gave you about Atta and Abdeslam?
Yes. Because your anectdotal evidence does not change my opinion that even without the garnishing of Religion and religious language, the Middle East would still commit the acts that they have against Western nations because we are actively occupying their nations and killing their people. You know, people don't generally like it when you do that.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
And I'm saying that that comes from within you. Those are your own beliefs.
Islam does not provide you with the tools to come to that conclusion.

As I said previously in this thread: yes, Islam does not justify such evil acts.
But it doesn't condemn them either.

It does BOTH. Or rather, it can do both.

So, while the islamophobe is wrong by saying that Islam is an evil religion that pushes people into violent intolerance....
The "defenders" are equally wrong by saying that Islam condemns such behavior.

It does not. It does neither.
Islam isn't guilty.
It's not innocent either.

Instead, it's vague and ambiguous. And by being such, it allows for both.

You can't use Islam / the Quran to argue that radical Islamists are "wrong" islamically (is that a word? lol)

They are just as wrong AND right as their opponents.

So in conclusion.... if you ask me what I am blaming Islam / the Quran for...
Then my answer is: for that ambiguity. It allows for such behavior and interpretation. It gives that wiggle room.

I respectfully disagree because the Quran with regard to ambiguity has none read in context. . It is clear about what it teaches. That is why terrorist training manuals mostly use fabricated hadiths as opposed to using Quranic quotes.

Having said this evil intent can twist any verse out of context but again that is not due to the Quran providing opportunities for evil intent.

Take the often misquoted passage “ kill them wherever you find them”. This is not the context of the text. Only those ignorant of the context can be fooled into believing the Quran encourages murder. The large majority of Muslims are not fooled by such manipulation but uninformed westerners have often been fooled because they do not read the Quran thoroughly but instead cherry pick, bringing it all back to motive and intent.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
There's nothing there that identifies the radicals as being that decline.
It could just as well be referring to the moderates.

My personal understanding is that it refers to the general decline of Islam overall including radicals. It is predicting the collapse of the Caliphate and Imamate after over a thousand years of rule. The disappearance of the Caliphate was one of the greatest blows Islam ever sustained. And if you look at Shiah Islam how the people of Iran notably women are quoted saying “this is not Islam what the Mullas are teaching”.

But that is not to say Islam did not make major contributions to mankind. In its golden age it was a leader in knowledge and learning.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Can you point to secular equivalents of islamist suicide bombings?
?? Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam - Wikipedia ??

"Although most Tigers were Hindus, the LTTE was an avowedly secular organisation; religion did not play any significant part in its ideology."

For specifics on their suicide bombers see here: Black Tigers - Wikipedia

Here's something from the US FBI: Taming the Tamil Tigers

01/10/08

As terrorist groups go, it has quite a résumé:
  • Perfected the use of suicide bombers;
  • Invented the suicide belt;
  • Pioneered the use of women in suicide attacks;
  • Murdered some 4,000 people in the past two years alone; and
  • Assassinated two world leaders—the only terrorist organization to do so.

stevecanuck

And do you know that the Byzantines and Persians were already involved throughout Arabia because the Arabs were a significant part of their forces and the region was economically and strategically important? Nope. You don't (although you should because I've told you several times already. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick tocriticise others for being closed minded and resistant to reason and evidence :wink:).

View attachment 70435
For both political and economic reasons, the Byzantines and Sasanians felt a need to maintain a presence in Arabia-if only to thwart the other from gaining too much influence there. Yet, the dearth of resources in northern Arabia discouraged them from trying to establish direct control over this area, for it would have cost more to garrison and administer it than they could hope to secure in taxes. Instead, they adopted the stratagem of establishing alliances with the chiefs ofArabian tribes, who then served the empires' inter- ests in exchange for cash subsidies, weapons, and titles; such indirect rule was much cheaper, in money and men, than trying to control the area directly with their own troops...

[A lot of trade was carried out by] by Axumite shippers hailing from their main port, Adulis [note position on map]. The Byzantine and Sasanian empires both aspired to control this commerce and the taxes that they could collect on it, with the result that Arabia became a focus of serious competition between the em- pires. The Byzantines, for example, maintained a customs station on the island of Iotabe in the straits of Tiran (at the mouth of the Gulf of Aqaba), and a few stray reports hint that both the Byzantines and the Sasanians attempted, and perhaps succeeded, in establishing special ties with local leaders to collect taxes in Yathrib or Mecca on the eve of Islam in an effort to draw this region into their spheres of influence.

Muhammad and the believers - F Donner

I'm very busy right now. I simply don't have the time or the bandwidth to really do this justice. I won't be back until I can respond in detail.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
You're wonderfully leaving out - as the Wikipedia article did - that Adebolajo said, while his hands were dripping with blood, that they killed that soldier for the sole reason that "people are dying daily at the hands of British soldiers", and that as a soldier he was an "eye for an eye". Not because god told them to do it, not because he was a Christian or not a Muslim, because of British occupation.

Yeah, I'm not so much worried about what you've said regarding this, but what you're trying to get me to say through wild extrapolating and "reading between the lines".

Yes. Because your anectdotal evidence does not change my opinion that even without the garnishing of Religion and religious language, the Middle East would still commit the acts that they have against Western nations because we are actively occupying their nations and killing their people. You know, people don't generally like it when you do that.

It seems you have completely missed that I started out by saying that at the bottom of this barrel, there might be valid reasons for resentment of the US.

My point is that without radical islamist beliefs, those attacks would not have happened, regardless of the perhaps valid arguments at the bottom of that barrel.

The Abdeslams would NOT have done what they did, were they not taken in by radical Islam.
Mohammed Atta would NOT have carried out 9/11, were it not for radical Islam.
Your very own example, in literally his own words, would not have happened were it not for his radical islamist beliefs either. Which he himself later admitted.

All this, regardless of perhaps having valid resentment arguments at the bottom of that barrel.

It's not "anecdotal". Practically every islamic terrorist shares such a story.
The thousands of "foreign fighters" that went to Syria and joined ISIS share this story.
The majority of them lived normal lives and enjoyed western society. Radical islam turned them into murdering monsters. Literally.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I respectfully disagree because the Quran with regard to ambiguity has none read in context. . It is clear about what it teaches. That is why terrorist training manuals mostly use fabricated hadiths as opposed to using Quranic quotes.

Again. Go speak with a radical preacher.

Take the often misquoted passage “ kill them wherever you find them”. This is not the context of the text.

Yes. By Islamophobes, mainly.

Only those ignorant of the context can be fooled into believing the Quran encourages murder.

You seem unaware that the scholars in ISIS ranks hold phd's from real universities in islamic studies.
These people are not ignorant of the religion, nor are they deliberately trying to "misrepresent" islam.

What is ignorant, is to assume these people are ignorant about the quran or islam in general.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Again. Go speak with a radical preacher.

Yes. By Islamophobes, mainly.

You seem unaware that the scholars in ISIS ranks hold phd's from real universities in islamic studies.
These people are not ignorant of the religion, nor are they deliberately trying to "misrepresent" islam.

What is ignorant, is to assume these people are ignorant about the quran or islam in general.

They may have multiple degrees but that doesn’t make them religious or endowed with a good character.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
It seems you have completely missed that I started out by saying that at the bottom of this barrel, there might be valid reasons for resentment of the US.
Oh, we're rewinding? Bet.

So again, you asked me if I thought that 9/11 would have happened without religion. Again, yes, I do think that, because we are still an occupying force with the deaths of plenty of civilians on our hands, unrelated to religion.

You think that religion poisons everything, and that's the bias you're going at this with. That's a "you" problem.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I highly advise the participants of this thread to take a deeper look at Islam, if at all possible including the voices of former Muslims and contrasts with other creeds.

It is very understandable, but also rather unwise, to assume that it is "just another religion". The truth, alas, is much different.

Can islam truly justify the september 11th attacks on america? If so, how?
This is because a person supporting an organised acknowledged crime will not justify it openly. But within the community. If Muslims didnt support or justify attacks like September 11th, then why is there so many problems Muslims have with Christians in the east of the world. Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Iraq, and Iran, etc.Sharia law is enforced either literally or in the culture of society and its a problem to nonbelievers, and it would be.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Can islam truly justify the september 11th attacks on america? If so, how?
Did Islam/Quran mention it, please, right?

Regards
#2 Viker, "Islam never justified the attacks. Only a widely rejected minority rationalized and justified the brazen acts of mass murder."
#3 Rachel Rugelach, "Muslims throughout the world don't justify the Sept. 11th attacks. These Muslims (see link below) certainly don't justify it: "Those People Are Not Me"
# 4 Saint Frankenstein, "It's all a scam."
#7 sun rise, "The true answer is totally and absolutely NO."

Last edited:

stevecanuck

Historically at least, this is very debatable.

No, it's not even remotely debatable.

Again - The word unbeliever is used countless times in the Qur'an, and it ALWAYS means someone - anyone - who is not a Muslim (when the reference is made in 'current' times. When referring to such as Pharoah, it means a non-Abrahamic). Anyone who claims otherwise is not worth debating because he's just out to disagree regardless of how utterly ridiculously his 'arguments' have to be framed.

Last edited:

stevecanuck

And do you know that the Byzantines and Persians were already involved throughout Arabia because the Arabs were a significant part of their forces and the region was economically and strategically important? Nope. You don't (although you should because I've told you several times already. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick tocriticise others for being closed minded and resistant to reason and evidence :wink:).

View attachment 70435
For both political and economic reasons, the Byzantines and Sasanians felt a need to maintain a presence in Arabia-if only to thwart the other from gaining too much influence there. Yet, the dearth of resources in northern Arabia discouraged them from trying to establish direct control over this area, for it would have cost more to garrison and administer it than they could hope to secure in taxes. Instead, they adopted the stratagem of establishing alliances with the chiefs ofArabian tribes, who then served the empires' inter- ests in exchange for cash subsidies, weapons, and titles; such indirect rule was much cheaper, in money and men, than trying to control the area directly with their own troops...

[A lot of trade was carried out by] by Axumite shippers hailing from their main port, Adulis [note position on map]. The Byzantine and Sasanian empires both aspired to control this commerce and the taxes that they could collect on it, with the result that Arabia became a focus of serious competition between the em- pires. The Byzantines, for example, maintained a customs station on the island of Iotabe in the straits of Tiran (at the mouth of the Gulf of Aqaba), and a few stray reports hint that both the Byzantines and the Sasanians attempted, and perhaps succeeded, in establishing special ties with local leaders to collect taxes in Yathrib or Mecca on the eve of Islam in an effort to draw this region into their spheres of influence.

Muhammad and the believers - F Donner

Oh, well ...... why didn't you just say that from the beginning???? I mean, who am I to doubt the veracity of "a few stray reports" that "hint"??????

I really don't have the time or the inclination to indulge your nonsense. Bye.

No, it's not even remotely debatable.

Again - The word unbeliever is used countless times in the Qur'an, and it ALWAYS means someone - anyone - who is not a Muslim (when the reference is made in 'current' times. When referring to such as Pharoah, it means a non-Abrahamic). Anyone who claims otherwise is not worth debating because he's just out to disagree regardless of how utterly ridiculously his 'arguments' have to be framed.

In general, who do you think is more likely to be correct?

1. The guy on the Internet who claims to have studied the topic for decades but seems completely unaware of even the most elementary aspects of critical historical scholarship and instead unwittingly parrots religious narratives as uncontested fact while supporting his arguments with nothing more than the misplaced confidence that's is the defining characteristic of those suffering from the Dunning-Krueger Effect.

2. The world famous scholar discussing themes that are well known and relatively uncontroversial among other secular scholars and supporting his views with evidence and half a century of research experience.

Before you answer, just remember that you being ignorant of something is not evidence it is wrong and also that you were criticising others for being "closed minded" and resistant to evidence.

Oh, well ...... why didn't you just say that from the beginning???? I mean, who am I to doubt the veracity of "a few stray reports" that "hint"??????

I really don't have the time or the inclination to indulge your nonsense. Bye.

Your attempted face saving quibble on a minor detail is noted, as is your inability to address the substance of the post.

The Romans and Persians were active militarily throughout all of Arabia in the time period you claimed it was ridiculous to think they would attack Arabs (this is a well established and indisputable historical fact from many independent sources).

They may also have been active in Medina (as with most details from this period, this is unproven but plausible).

But it's more comforting for some to stick to their ideological prejudices and dismiss everything they don't understand as "nonsense" than look at evidence and think rationally and critically.

It is slightly ridiculous to do this while criticising others for being ignorant and closed minded though ;)

stevecanuck

For both political and economic reasons, the Byzantines and Sasanians felt a need to maintain a presence in Arabia-if only to thwart the other from gaining too much influence there. Yet, the dearth of resources in northern Arabia discouraged them from trying to establish direct control over this area,

I have a spare half hour, so I decided to go back and check out your posts in more detail.

Ermmm, your own post proves that neither empire ever attacked the peninsula, and certainly not the Muslims. Never.

for it would have cost more to garrison and administer it than they could hope to secure in taxes. Instead, they adopted the stratagem of establishing alliances with the chiefs of Arabian tribes, who then served the empires' interests in exchange for cash subsidies, weapons, and titles; such indirect rule was much cheaper, in money and men, than trying to control the area directly with their own troops...

Again, what the hell are you on about???????????????????????????

YOUR post shows that relations were mutual. There is absolutely nothing in this to indicate that the Muslims had to fight in self defense.

Viker

Häxan
why is there so many problems Muslims have with Christians in the east of the world.
Probably because some "Christians" attacked their part of the world under perceived false pretenses. Iraq, false pretenses. Afghanistan, bin Laden's alleged hide out (it was in Pakistan the whole time). Any bells ringing?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Probably because some "Christians" attacked their part of the world under perceived false pretenses. Iraq, false pretenses. Afghanistan, bin Laden's alleged hide out (it was in Pakistan the whole time). Any bells ringing?
Iraq and afghanistan were not invaded in the name of Christianity. That many american soldiers are christian is not relevant.

I have a spare half hour, so I decided to go back and check out your posts in more detail.

Unfortunately, you didn't read them very well or understand the history they are based on.

Ermmm, your own post proves that neither empire ever attacked the peninsula, and certainly not the Muslims. Never

Short history lesson:

Much of the Roman Army was not classical Roman Legionaries, but were mercenaries hired from the local 'barbarians'. In the Roman/Persian wars, a lot of fighting was done by these mercenaries, who also helped exert imperial control/influence in the border areas and beyond.

These mercenaries were called foederati:

The term foederati had its usage and meaning extended by the Romans' practice of subsidising entire barbarian tribes such as the Franks, Vandals, Alans, Huns and the Visigoths, the last being the best known, in exchange for providing warriors to fight in the Roman armies...

In the east, foederati were formed out of several Arab tribes to protect against the Persian-allied Arab Lakhmids and the tribes of the Arabian peninsula. Among these foederati were the Tanukhids, Banu Judham, Banu Amela and the Ghassanids.

It doesn't require an invasion to have an offensive and defensive military presence in the region, you just hire local tribes as mercenaries to do your bidding. These mercenaries attacked many people in the peninsula.

These are indisputable facts.

Again, what the hell are you on about???????????????????????????

YOUR post shows that relations were mutual. There is absolutely nothing in this to indicate that the Muslims had to fight in self defense.

It would be easier if you just relax, open your mind, and think critically for a minute. Remember, you didn't know any of this until I told you, so you have to accept there is a good chance the cited experts are right and you are wrong. Also try to read more carefully and remember what the actual context is, not what you misremember the context as being.

You were ridiculing the idea that Romans could have attacked peninsula Arabs and suggested that even entertaining the possibility was closed-minded ignorance. This is what you were wrong about.

My post shows that Arabia was strategically and economically important and that Romans foederati were active throughout Arabia. They maintained their status through violence. They could certainly have attacked another tribe, and it is inane to argue otherwise.

AFAIK, there is no evidence to say they did or they didn't attack the group who would later refer to themselves as Muslims (but who then seem to have called themselves believers). Ultimately, we have to say we don't really know.

There is a good chance the proto-Muslims emerged from among Roman aligned tribal groups, at some point they stopped being aligned with them and started to seek independent power.

This would certainly be a potential reason for Roman foederati to attack them. The idea is at least plausible, not ridiculous as you claimed. The problem is that unless you trust the unreliable religious narratives written 2 centuries later, we know very few specific about what was happening at this point.

I would say the balance of probabilities is Romans stopped paying many mercenaries as the plague and war meant they were financially struggling. These tribes had likely consolidated power and learned organisational skills from fighting with the Roman Army (see what happened prior to the fall of the Western Roman Empire for a parallel). They recognised Romans were vulnerable and isolated raids turned into larger military actions. The proto-Muslims were likely one of several groups doing such things rather than the primary instigators. So it is more likely they were the aggressors (or were part of a group of aggressors).

It's strange you are so resistant to learning the actual history of the region so you can see how it meshes with the religious narrative that you put so much faith in.