• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam

Demonic Kitten

I am looking into studying the Islamic religion. What do I need in order to properly learn about this religion. I am not looking to convert, but I would like to learn about this religion. I am very ignorant when it comes to Islam and I'm not the type of person who stays ignorant if she can help it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (English is the only language I speak..sorry >_<)

A-ManESL

For starters, I would suggest grabbing a good book by a well established writer. And as you read along the book, it would be a good idea to discuss things you find intriguing or confusing here. I normally recommend "Ideals and realities of Islam" by Hossein Nasr. You can also take a look at any other good books, such as Fazlur Rehman's book Islam.

Secondly, not sure of where you are, but if there is someone in your neighborhood, who is a Muslim scholar you can have discussions with him.

You can read along the Quran as well (maybe Arberry's The Koran interpreted), do it whilst reading the book.

Regards

Demonic Kitten

For starters, I would suggest grabbing a good book by a well established writer. And as you read along the book, it would be a good idea to discuss things you find intriguing or confusing here. I normally recommend "Ideals and realities of Islam" by Hossein Nasr. You can also take a look at any other good books, such as Fazlur Rehman's book Islam.

Secondly, not sure of where you are, but if there is someone in your neighborhood, who is a Muslim scholar you can have discussions with him.

You can read along the Quran as well (maybe Arberry's The Koran interpreted), do it whilst reading the book.

Regards

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I live in the Bible Belt of America so I doubt I will find an Muslims around here. I will have to look around and see what I can find. ^_^

I am looking into studying the Islamic religion. What do I need in order to properly learn about this religion. I am not looking to convert, but I would like to learn about this religion. I am very ignorant when it comes to Islam and I'm not the type of person who stays ignorant if she can help it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (English is the only language I speak..sorry >_<)

Brother , if you want to study islam , the best book and study material for you is to read the Holy Quran.

Here is a link for you Holy Quran - Surah Al-Fatiha ( verse 1 to 7 ) - Complete Arabic, English and Urdu Translation online

Secondly , as english is not my primary language so i cannot suggest you a good book as i donot know any one in english for beginners. sorry of this one.

Third , be aware from internet as you will find many false or misreprenst information about islam , so try to read the verified leterature.

if you are interested in comparative relegion between Islam and others you can vistie Islamic Research Foundation - Welcome to IRF (then go to publications).

One suggestion that will inshahallah help you , go to the forums http://www.islamicbaord.com and ask people about a good book in english for beginners etc or what ever you wish hope you will get a good response from their , the forum is bit slow but the replies are good.

Finally , as i said there are many false thing said about islam on net , so if you have doubt about any thing just try to confirm that one before accept that.

May Allah guide all of us to the true pat.

Demonic Kitten

Brother , if you want to study islam , the best book and study material for you is to read the Holy Quran.

Here is a link for you Holy Quran - Surah Al-Fatiha ( verse 1 to 7 ) - Complete Arabic, English and Urdu Translation online

Secondly , as english is not my primary language so i cannot suggest you a good book as i donot know any one in english for beginners. sorry of this one.

Third , be aware from internet as you will find many false or misreprenst information about islam , so try to read the verified leterature.

if you are interested in comparative relegion between Islam and others you can vistie Islamic Research Foundation - Welcome to IRF (then go to publications).

One suggestion that will inshahallah help you , go to the forums http://www.islamicbaord.com and ask people about a good book in english for beginners etc or what ever you wish hope you will get a good response from their , the forum is bit slow but the replies are good.

Finally , as i said there are many false thing said about islam on net , so if you have doubt about any thing just try to confirm that one before accept that.

May Allah guide all of us to the true pat.

Thank you for the rely!

I have found an electronic copy of the Quran so that will be my first stop. I will also check out the sites you have linked for me here. ^_^

Thank you again!

Demonic Kitten

>_< I forgot about the stickies. Thanks for reminding me of them. I will take a look at them first...and then see what else I can find that interest me.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Hi Demonic Kitten,

it would be a good idea to start with the Qur'an.
then after that i would suggest the book Riyadus Saliheen by Imam Nawawi, it is a book of hadith, but unlike the other hadith books, Nawawi has commented on all the hadith in order to make them clear.
after that i would suggest you read the Biography of prophet Muhamed (saws) "The Sealed Nectar" by Saifur Rahman Al Mubarakpuri.
after that i would suggest you visit the following site Ask a question onto us

if you are interested in reading about anything in particular please let me know i will tell you what book/site you should read.

you can also visit the thread in the islam forum "Islamic Books" made by Iloveislam. there are some good books in there including some short books but with plenty of information.

take care. i hope this is helpful to you.

Demonic Kitten

I'd be really interested in hearing your conclusions Kitten if you reach any.

I myself find Islam very confusing.

I think the only thing I hope to gain from this is a little knowledge of what Islam is about. I like studying religion and this is one that has caught my feline curiosity. ^_^

What I come up with I will try to post here.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC

What does verified literature mean?
Is it verified if it comes out the mouth of an Muslim?

Also- here's the start of my confusion Islam means Peace - because doesn't "Islam" actually mean "Submission"

It seems that most of the confusion is cause my Muslims claiming their religion is something different from what the Qu'ran says it is.

Also- here's the start of my confusion Islam means Peace - because doesn't "Islam" actually mean "Submission"

It seems that most of the confusion is cause my Muslims claiming their religion is something different from what the Qu'ran says it is.

Well by verified literature i mean that the person i sure that the thing they are reading is according to Islam , it might be possilbe that the words caming out from some particualr muslim mouth might not the teaching of Islam , and I never came before to this but heard that there are many websites on net made by non muslims just to make false thing agains Islam, so beware of these sites.

Secondly , One word can have more then one meaning agree or not ? some time directly some time indriectly? Islam spread peace, Islam is there for peace , so if one said Islam means peace that not wrong , aslo i am not literature expert so cannot prove it to you but it also means peace too i mean as gramatecally too

Finally , no body says islams is differetn from what Quran says , Islam is what Quran says .

Last edited:

Demonic Kitten

If I wanted to learn about your religion (I'm guessing is Thelma) would I go to a non-Thelma member and ask them to teach me or would I go to a Thelma member? I would rather go to a Muslim and ask them then 100% believe what a non-Muslim says. Granted I do try to keep in mind that people will interpret things differently (it's the same with all "Holy" books). I'm not a religious person and I don't want to be a religious person because I don't like people or books telling me what I should believe and what/how I should worship...But I think I owe it to myself (if not for the Muslims on this site) to find out what Islam really is, instead of believing everything on TV...or the internet..or...well you get the idea.

If something comes out of me learning about Islam then I believe I will be a better person for it.

Sorry...I'll go back to the Shadows now. *slinks away into the safety of darkness*

Demonic Kitten

Oh don't shrink away :)
I admire you for seeking understadning in the hope it will make you a better person.
Thanks. ^_^ Most of the time what I want to say and what I do say differ greatly. It never seems to come out the way I want it too.
I have a similar desire to undertsand Islam... however I find that Muslims all seem to disagree about their own religion - so its been really hard for me to ascertain what the true belief is.

I believe that many Muslims are in denial about their own religion and selectively choose which bits of the Qu'ran to state as fact and which bits to conveniently ignore.

Everytime I have found evidence of Islamic texts or Muslim scholars talking about the practise of their religion in places like Saudi, i'm always confronted by Western Muslims syaing that their Brother is either lying - or not practising the True Islam.

It seems there are two Islams - the original one of Muhammed which was based on war and conquest... and the Modern peaceful interpretation that Western Muslims adopt.

What annoys me is that these modern western muslims are not prepared to admit that theyr are practsing a peaceful version of Islam - they are not practsing the True Islam of Muhammed as explained in the Qu'ran, one which seeks to eradicate all enemies of Allah.

I hope that these peaceful Muslims are genuine and are not acting out of ignorance or attempt to decieve.

On another note - if you did research Thelema (Greek word for WILL) you will probably find most Thelemites will contradict themselves on the nitty gritty of their belief, however you will find one thing that we all have in common - that is their acceptance that "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will."

:candle:
I think that you will find that with all religions there are differences of opinion and the reason behind that is human interpretation. Of course not many people will out right admit it. ~_^

I am in the process of reading the Hadith thread...as with everything else religious I have come across some things that are down right beautiful and close to what I believe, but there are other things that leave me...confused to say the least. I'm not searching for the "Truth", but my version of it.

Sufi

I suggest you get a copy of The Creed of Imam Tahawi a classical text on Islamic Aqeedah (Creed) translated by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf Hanson.

seeking4truth

The internet if full of websites and ebooks that will tell you the basics of Islam. You will find many different interpretations and therefore opinions about what is Islam and what is innovation.
Your problem will be which ones are truthful or reliable. Good luck.
The problems seen daily on TV news, reporting the problems in the Middle East and Africa show that even Muslims cannot agree what is Islam!!