• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam Meditation

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
I am trying to bring a step beyond sense to the modern idea of what Islam is.

Why don't most Muslims meditate?
The Prophet (pbuh) said, "An hour of meditation is worth more than 70 years of prayer."
Muslims are taught to pray at least 5 times a day.. So, then.. the meditation must be very beneficial.

Some peers of mine write praying off as meditating but its not comparable.
Meditation is about experiencing the unity with all.
Rumi says, "We aren't just a drop in the ocean but the entire ocean in one drop."

I wish we could all see the depth and unity within the teaching. The surface is beautiful but there is so much more to try and understand.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member

The Prophet (pbuh) said, "An hour of meditation is worth more than 70 years of prayer."
Muslims are taught to pray at least 5 times a day.. So, then.. the meditation must be very beneficial.

Rumi says, "We aren't just a drop in the ocean but the entire ocean in one drop."

I wish we could all see the depth and unity within the teaching. The surface is beautiful but there is so much more to try and understand.

If well performed, the five daily prayers - which involves reading parts of the Quran, invoking God and asking your needs, exalting God, and bowing and prostrating to God -can be considered as a form of meditation..

Similar things can be said about many other forms of Islamic worships, such as performing the Hajj pilgrimage.

However, I think that Muslims should do more to comply fully with the teachings of Islam in this regard, as Islam highly emphasized the importance of thinking and meditating.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
If well performed, the five daily prayers - which involves reading parts of the Quran, invoking God and asking your needs, exalting God, and bowing and prostrating to God -can be considered as a form of meditation..

Similar things can be said about many other forms of Islamic worships, such as performing the Hajj pilgrimage.

However, I think that Muslims should do more to comply fully with the teachings of Islam in this regard, as Islam highly emphasized the importance of thinking and meditating.

Yes, I mentioned most people say the prayers are a stand in for meditation but I do agree to your point. Thanks!

spirit_of_dawn

The Arabic word translated to Meditation here is "tafakkor" that literally translates to "to think". Meditation has two meanings in the English language:

1》focus one's mind for a period of time for spiritual purposes or as a method of relaxation.
2》 (often ~ on/upon) think carefully about something.

I just wanted to point out that the second meaning is intended in this hadith.

Also the statement from Rumi is not compatible with Islam and stems from his belief in wahdate wujood a belief that Islam does not confirm.

whirlingmerc

"This book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth but you shall mediate on it day and night
for then I will make you prosperous and then you will have success" Joshua 1:8

I think mulling scripture over, maybe writing it out or reading it out loud or writing about it helps

Last edited: