• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam is unable to relate to the diverse contemporary cultures

Actually this is not accurate. Democracy evolved from older and other cultures other than Christianity. Democracy is not remotely a Biblical concept.

In the west the origin of Democracy js in 508–507 BC. Cleisthenes is referred to as "the father of Athenian democracy."

In America the earliest Democracy was Native American Iroquois Confederation acknowledged by the founding fathers as contributing to the principles of our Democracy.

Do you think that the Athenians practiced modern liberal democracy given it was a slave based society that viewed inequality as representing the natural order of things?

I believe the rise of humanism in the Age of Reason had a greater influence than Christianity. In particular the rise of the separation of church and state.

The separation of church and state powers began developing far earlier than "the age of reason". See for example the conflict between HRE Henry IV and Pope Gregory VII.

Yes there are significant differences,but a less biased view is helpful.

Or perhaps one based on a better knowledge of history ;)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The major division of Islam into Sunni and Shia. Other numerous subsets and divisions just add to the confusion.

It matters a great deal to me which version of Islam we're talking about, even small groups, because you're painting with a very large brush.

Yes,Islam in the golden age made contributions to civilization, including the origination of the scientific method.

That's historical fact. And that was made during a time when certain dress codes and laws were much closer to the the origin of Islam than today.

But what you're referring to in large measure is that all cultures and religions are born, grow and make contributions to science and culture and finally ossify and become retrogressive. And eventually they die just like religions from thousands of years ago are now the province of archeologists.

Devotees of religion of course hate the thought that their religion won't live forever. But history has shown that anything born will sooner or later die.

I suspect Islam will be around for quite some time and there will be Muslims who make great contributions in art and science. But the culture that promoted such contributions is not what it was.

Earthling

David Henson
I believe that at one time Islam was a light to the world and the spiritual renewal of civilization, but no more. As time passed Islam remained cloaked in ancient tribal culture, outdated Shiria Law, failure to separate religion from the secular state, violently divided and failure to acknowledge a diverse evolving world.

When did it allegedly change? Prior to that change was it different than it was now? That seems redundant but perhaps it was civilization that changed?

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Given the Christian West produced modern liberal democracy, and the Islamic world didn't why should we assume that?

Christianity had a huge influence on political liberalism, gave birth to the concept of secularism and has constantly been updated to adapt to an evolving world (as has Islam, but less so due to greater theological rigidity).

Obviously there are also many problems it has caused, but on these points there are significant differences.

Go do some Internet research on all the torture, beatings, destruction of property, total or near total destruction of other religious writings, imprisonment, millions of murders, etc., that the Christian church has inflicted upon the world to force their mythology upon everyone. Also look up how they are STILL at it today wherever they can get away with it. Like who was behind the "Kill the Gays" law that was considered in Africa. And who is behind all the other persecution and imprisonment of gays all around the world.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Do you think that the Athenians practiced modern liberal democracy given it was a slave based society that viewed inequality as representing the natural order of things?

You must realize that the American Democracy was a slave based economy justified by many on Biblical references.

The separation of church and state powers began developing far earlier than "the age of reason". See for example the conflict between HRE Henry IV and Pope Gregory VII.

Outrageously false, both Henry IV and Pope Gregory VII believed they ruled by Divine authority. It was a question of who appointed the Bishops. He went to Rome in a snow storm and begged forgiveness for his transgression against the authority of the Roman Church.

Or perhaps one based on a better knowledge of history ;)

Which you apparently lack seriously.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
When did it allegedly change? Prior to that change was it different than it was now? That seems redundant but perhaps it was civilization that changed?

Civilization did change with the rise of the Age of Reason and the separation of church and state.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
spirit_of_dawn said:
You could also replace them with Baha'i and Baha'i Law.

Much preferred with much greater rights for women, separation of religion and state, Baha'is only must follow Baha'i Law, Law against all forms of slavery, and much more.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Go do some Internet research on all the torture, beatings, destruction of property, total or near total destruction of other religious writings, imprisonment, millions of murders, etc., that the Christian church has inflicted upon the world to force their mythology upon everyone.

As I said before, I acknowledge the problems of Judaism and Christianity, and like Islam they rely on ancient world view and scripture to justify their religion

Also look up how they are STILL at it today wherever they can get away with it. Like who was behind the "Kill the Gays" law that was considered in Africa. And who is behind all the other persecution and imprisonment of gays all around the world.

Both Christianity and Islam.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I believe that at one time Islam was a light to the world and the spiritual renewal of civilization, but no more. As time passed Islam remained cloaked in ancient tribal culture, outdated Shiria Law, failure to separate religion from the secular state, violently divided and failure to acknowledge a diverse evolving world.
So far, so good. Is this supposed to be news though, @shunyadragon or is this a personal epiphany?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It matters a great deal to me which version of Islam we're talking about, even small groups, because you're painting with a very large brush.

I, of course, I will acknowledge acceptions, and of course small peace loving sects, but the scripture of ancient religions looms large, and that adults may philosophy about reform and compromise, the scripture is taught to the children.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
As I said before, I acknowledge the problems of Judaism and Christianity, and like Islam they rely on ancient world view and scripture to justify their religion

Both Christianity and Islam.

Of course you can comment to anyone's post, but the way you worded it made it appear that you thought I was maybe differing with "you", but my reply was to "Augustus" who seemed to be defending Christianity as blameless.