1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Islam is unable to relate to the diverse contemporary cultures

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by shunyadragon, Jan 5, 2019.

1. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,920
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Islam is outdated and archaic, and cannot deal with a more universal diverse contemporary world, and actually contributes greatly to the violent instability and divisions of the world.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +10,333
    Religion:
    none
    Do you think that the Athenians practiced modern liberal democracy given it was a slave based society that viewed inequality as representing the natural order of things?

The separation of church and state powers began developing far earlier than "the age of reason". See for example the conflict between HRE Henry IV and Pope Gregory VII.

Or perhaps one based on a better knowledge of history ;)

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ancient Soul

Ancient Soul The Spiritual Universe

Ratings:
    +432
    Religion:
    None
    Does this forum have enough server room to cover all the problems with both Islam and Christianity?

4. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,986
    Religion:
    Love
    It matters a great deal to me which version of Islam we're talking about, even small groups, because you're painting with a very large brush.

That's historical fact. And that was made during a time when certain dress codes and laws were much closer to the the origin of Islam than today.

But what you're referring to in large measure is that all cultures and religions are born, grow and make contributions to science and culture and finally ossify and become retrogressive. And eventually they die just like religions from thousands of years ago are now the province of archeologists.

Devotees of religion of course hate the thought that their religion won't live forever. But history has shown that anything born will sooner or later die.

I suspect Islam will be around for quite some time and there will be Muslims who make great contributions in art and science. But the culture that promoted such contributions is not what it was.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +758
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    When did it allegedly change? Prior to that change was it different than it was now? That seems redundant but perhaps it was civilization that changed?

6. Firemorphic

Firemorphic Activist Membrane

Ratings:
    +569
    Religion:
    Islam (Twelver Shia)
    Hold my beer

7. Ancient Soul

Ratings:
    +432
    Religion:
    None
    Go do some Internet research on all the torture, beatings, destruction of property, total or near total destruction of other religious writings, imprisonment, millions of murders, etc., that the Christian church has inflicted upon the world to force their mythology upon everyone. Also look up how they are STILL at it today wherever they can get away with it. Like who was behind the "Kill the Gays" law that was considered in Africa. And who is behind all the other persecution and imprisonment of gays all around the world.

8. Ancient Soul

Ratings:
    +432
    Religion:
    None
    I just found out about that spiritual teaching, so cannot agree or disagree with your statement.

9. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,920
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    You must realize that the American Democracy was a slave based economy justified by many on Biblical references.

Outrageously false, both Henry IV and Pope Gregory VII believed they ruled by Divine authority. It was a question of who appointed the Bishops. He went to Rome in a snow storm and begged forgiveness for his transgression against the authority of the Roman Church.

Which you apparently lack seriously.

10. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,920
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Civilization did change with the rise of the Age of Reason and the separation of church and state.

11. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,920
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Much preferred with much greater rights for women, separation of religion and state, Baha'is only must follow Baha'i Law, Law against all forms of slavery, and much more.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,920
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    As I said before, I acknowledge the problems of Judaism and Christianity, and like Islam they rely on ancient world view and scripture to justify their religion

Both Christianity and Islam.

13. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,881
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    So far, so good. Is this supposed to be news though, @shunyadragon or is this a personal epiphany?

14. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,920
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    I, of course, I will acknowledge acceptions, and of course small peace loving sects, but the scripture of ancient religions looms large, and that adults may philosophy about reform and compromise, the scripture is taught to the children.

15. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,920
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Simply facts of history regardless of whether you are a believer or not.

• Like Like x 1
  16. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,920
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    It is a pleasure to humor you in the sidecar of discussion. You're easy to entertain. In the old days it took only a test screen on the TV.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ancient Soul

Ratings:
    +432
    Religion:
    None
    Of course you can comment to anyone's post, but the way you worded it made it appear that you thought I was maybe differing with "you", but my reply was to "Augustus" who seemed to be defending Christianity as blameless.

18. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,467
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    I researched the degree to which Sharia law is implemented in Islamic majority countries. or ones with a significant Islamic population. If truth be told, it was somewhat surprising. I thought it was more widespread than it is. Application of Islamic law by country - Wikipedia

19. Firemorphic

Firemorphic Activist Membrane

Ratings:
    +569
    Religion:
    Islam (Twelver Shia)
    Here on a thread about Islamic law, I'd think you were going to implement Baha'i law but instead you're actually implementing poe's law.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,920
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    . . . and that is part of the unfortunate problem, and they do not get along.

#40 shunyadragon, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019