• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam is unable to relate to the diverse contemporary cultures

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I believe that at one time Islam was a light to the world and the spiritual renewal of civilization, but no more. As time passed Islam remained cloaked in ancient tribal culture, outdated Shiria Law, failure to separate religion from the secular state, violently divided and failure to acknowledge a diverse evolving world.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
I believe that at one time Islam was a light to the world and the spiritual renewal of civilization, but no more. As time passed Islam remained cloaked in ancient tribal culture, outdated Shiria Law, failure to separate religion from the secular state, violently divided and failure to acknowledge a diverse evolving world.

You could replace the words Islam and "Shiria Law" for Christianity, and it would be just as correct.

You could replace the words Islam and "Shiria Law" for Christianity, and it would be just as correct.

Given the Christian West produced modern liberal democracy, and the Islamic world didn't why should we assume that?

Christianity had a huge influence on political liberalism, gave birth to the concept of secularism and has constantly been updated to adapt to an evolving world (as has Islam, but less so due to greater theological rigidity).

Obviously there are also many problems it has caused, but on these points there are significant differences.

rocala

A very intersting post. A friend of mine is a convert to Islam and refering to 'born muslims' he finds Islam to be totally lacking in culture. There is little in the world of literature or any of the arts that Islam can claim to be making any significant contribution too.

spirit_of_dawn

Islam is made of numerous sub-sects, which one are you talking about and based on what evidence.

spirit_of_dawn

A very intersting post. A friend of mine is a convert to Islam and refering to 'born muslims' he finds Islam to be totally lacking in culture. There is little in the world of literature or any of the arts that Islam can claim to be making any significant contribution too.

Then you probably have never been to Iran.

rocala

True, but in this 'information age' would I need too?
Please mention some writers or painters and I will check for a future visit.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Nonetheless Islam has a distinctive cultural orientation separate from the rest of the cultures of the world. The Islamic culture with language, dress, food, and a ritual life style that is required,and various forms of Shiria Law. Journey to predominant Islamic and you will find that even non-Muslims are required to comply to Shiria Law and the culture.

Yes,Islam in the golden age made contributions to civilization, including the origination of the scientific method.

spirit_of_dawn

Nonetheless Islam has a distinctive cultural orientation separate from the rest of the cultures of the world. The Islamic culture with language, dress, food, and a ritual life style that is required,and various forms of Shiria Law. Journey to predominant Islamic and you will find that even non-Muslims are required to comply to Shiria Law and the culture.

Yes,Islam in the golden age made contributions to civilization, including the origination of the scientific method.

1- It's Sharia law NOT shiria law.
2- Got to any Muslim majority country and you'll see they have their own distinct cultures alongside their religious beliefs. I live in Iran and have been to Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, and Indonesia. All I can say is that there cultures are very very different from each other, yet they have managed to keep their cultures without going against the norms of Sharia law (which is simply law based on Islamic teachings). They have their own languages yet the more religious ones also learn Arabic to understand their scripture more deeply, they have their own special dresses and life-styles. And yes when the law of the country is bases on Islamic law you must comply in the same manner that you have to comply with any law in any country regardless of what it is based on.

Your claims don't hold water when one goes to any of these countries.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Given the Christian West produced modern liberal democracy, and the Islamic world didn't why should we assume that?

Actually this is not accurate. Democracy evolved from older and other cultures other than Christianity. Democracy is not remotely a Biblical concept.

In the west the origin of Democracy js in 508–507 BC. Cleisthenes is referred to as "the father of Athenian democracy."

In America the earliest Democracy was Native American Iroquois Confederation acknowledged by the founding fathers as contributing to the principles of our Democracy.

Christianity had a huge influence on political liberalism, gave birth to the concept of secularism and has constantly been updated to adapt to an evolving world (as has Islam, but less so due to greater theological rigidity).

I believe the rise of humanism in the Age of Reason had a greater influence than Christianity. In particular the rise of the separation of church and state.

Obviously there are also many problems it has caused, but on these points there are significant differences.

Yes there are significant differences,but a less biased view is helpful.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
1- It's Sharia law NOT shiria law.
2- Got to any Muslim majority country and you'll see they have their own distinct cultures alongside their religious beliefs. I live in Iran and have been to Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, and Indonesia. All I can say is that there cultures are very very different from each other, yet they have managed to keep their cultures without going against the norms of Sharia law (which is simply law based on Islamic teachings). They have their own languages yet the more religious ones also learn Arabic to understand their scripture more deeply, they have their own special dresses and life-styles. And yes when the law of the country is bases on Islamic law you must comply in the same manner that you have to comply with any law in any country regardless of what it is based on.

Your claims don't hold water when one goes to any of these countries.
Actually,your response justifies the conclusions of my original post. Outdated Sharia Law in various forms does underlie the culture of Islamic nations, and yes foreigners need to comply to Sharia Law in the Islamic culture of most Islamic countries. Arabic remains the required cultural property to fully understand the Quran, Sharia Law, and by the way to be truly Muslim to read the Quran. Cultural dress requirements are required for women in most Islamic countries. Women in most Islamic countries are highly restricted and isolated by Sharia law.

The outlawing of religions like the Baha'i Faith are clearly an example of the failure of Islamic countries to accept the diversity of the modern world.

In Western countries Muslims classically form isolated communities based on their isolated cultural identity and often want to live under their Sharia Law in preference over secular law. I do not buy your line that the Sharia Law is very different from country to country. There is variation, but the bottom line it is based on the Quran and Sharia Law based on the Quran.