• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam in the Tanakh and the Bible

Kodanshi

StygnosticA
Judaism took some ideas from Zoroastrianism, which then passed to Christianity and Islam. The much vaunted muslim myth doing the rounds culturally that on judgement day you have to walk a bridge finer than a hair to get to the other side comes directly from Zoroastrianism (chinvat bridge). As does the concept of Paradise as a walled garden.

Fatihah

Zoroastrianism was around a long before Islam, or even Christianity and Judaism. It did not get any of it's ides from Islam.

Response: According to who's authority? In order for this to be true, you would have to prove that the first man was not a muslim as the teachings of islam say he is, therefore making islam the first religion.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Timeline of Religions

I don't see how Christianity or Judaism could have taken anything from Islam. The other way around seems more obvious to me

What about Hinduism, Taoism, Shinto, Buddhism and other religions that were obviously practiced long before Islam was founded and Muhammad (pbuh) lived?

themadhair

Response: According to who's authority? In order for this to be true, you would have to prove that the first man was not a muslim as the teachings of islam say he is, therefore making islam the first religion.
Are you contesting that Zoroastianism isn't older than Islam? I ask because, if you are, then it would be a good indicator of what type of discussion this is likely to be.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Are you contesting that Zoroastianism isn't older than Islam? I ask because, if you are, then it would be a good indicator of what type of discussion this is likely to be.
One gets used to this peculiar nature of discussions with Muslims fairly quickly. In the Muslim view of reality, Islam has always existed and every so-called prophet spoke about Islam, even though, of course we never heard the term "Islam" until Muhammad emerged onto the scene. Islam, in essence "grandfathers" its own claims into previously accepted theology. It's a neat trick, providing you can get people to believe your side of the story. Quite honestly, in his day, Muhammad must have appeared quite insane to those listenting to him. This is the main reason why Muslims underscore that he was always known to be truthful. After all, why would he lie about such important things? It's childish logic, but it seems to have been very, VERY effective over the centuries. In effect, it's the snowball effect.

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
one prblem to everyone who thinks islam has copied other religions. islam has existed since man himself, it is the first religion on earth. so anything dating after the time man was created is a false religion which was made up by someone and who may have copied islam.

judaism and christianity are part of islam (not now but the prophets were). so none of these 3 religions has copied another.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
one prblem to everyone who thinks islam has copied other religions.
I do not think Islam "copied" other religions. I think there are certain similarities between many religions because all religions seek to answer certain questions humans have and all have a similar purpose. Likewise, I do not think other religions have copied Islam.
islam has existed since man himself, it is the first religion on earth.
This does not compute with history and facts. Muhammad lived 570-632 CE, humans and religions were around long before that. Or do you deny these facts as well?

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
one prblem to everyone who thinks islam has copied other religions. islam has existed since man himself, it is the first religion on earth. so anything dating after the time man was created is a false religion which was made up by someone and who may have copied islam.

judaism and christianity are part of islam (not now but the prophets were). so none of these 3 religions has copied another.
But Eselam, its a safe position to take because it cannot be proven OR disproven. It's not like Abraham or Moses or Christ are able to materialize and deny what is being said, so the comment is, in essence, meaningless. An argument that relies on faith isn't much of an argument.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Evidence?

well the simplest answer to such a simple question is "the quran says so" just like green gaia has said.

haven't you been paying attention?

well the word "islam" means "submission" or "surrender" ie. surrender to the will of Allah or lets just say god.

in order to do that one must be a monotheist, having said that, most religions consist of one god, so this verifies that Adam was a monotheist. we ok up to here?

and since Adam was the first man on earth, then we will say that the religions that speak of him, are the ones that have come from the same god, ie. they have some truth in them. they are from the real god that created Adam.

further more, once we use that criteria, we end up with 3 religions that have come to exist from the real god, and these 3 rligions happen to be the oldest religions in the world, ie. they exist since man himself, or they are derived from the first man whom we all agree that was given a religion from god.

now we can say that islam, judaism and christiany are the oldest religions, they are monotheistic and have come to exist from the beliefs of the fist man, who may have received revelations from the true god.

you up to date with all of that yet?

now that only these 3 religions are true and are monotheistic, we need to destingush wich of these is the true one and which of these has been changed.

so number one we shall speak about judaism. judaism is a true religion from the one true god and is one of the oldest religions. we do accept that at the time of it's founder or it's messenger, which was moses, the religion was true.

then soon after another messenger who is linked to Adam, just like moses, comes along, and his name is Jesus. he too is a true messenger from that very god that moses was.

and this new messeger acuses the people of moses to have changed the words of god (the torah) in order to not accept him as the messenger of god, just like moses. so when he claims to know about the past and has been given power to cure people by the will of god, we will accept this man and say that the people of moses changed the word of god, moses didn't do it, but the people did many years after.

once the people accept jesus as the new true prophet from the real god, they soon say that god isn't powerful enough to create humans without a father and end up associating a son to god (subhanallah), but the thing is we are speaking of the very same god that created Adam who had no father and certainly no mother.

by know we accept that both moses and jesus are the real prophets of god, just like Adam was. but since the changes of the people of moses are disproved or found by the people of jesus, we would come to an agreement that we are only dealing with christianity, since it claims is a latter version of the same religion as moses was.

then once the people associate a son to god (subhanallah), god sends another prophet to whom he reveals many things about moses and jesus. to the people who believe in moses, god says to his new prophet "tell them that the religion god sent them was the true one, and is the continuation of the religion of Adam". but since the people of moses changed the words of god, they did not accept this new messenger, since what he was telling them was that jesus was the true prophet sent by god after moses. and they could not accept this.

then to the people of jesus, god tells his new messenger to tell them that "i have no son, i explained in the bible that i created man from nothing, without a father and certainly without a mother, i can create anything from nothing, so obey me and this man (muhammed) is my final messenger to the people who wish to believe, if not then hell awaits those who deny my salvation and protection"

estagfurllah for anything i may have said wrong, estagfrullah.

that was quite a long and beautifull story and that is my long, extended and complicated answer to your simple question. what you make of it is none of my bussiness, it was my dutie to tell you and i fulfilled that.

peace out.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I do not think Islam "copied" other religions. I think there are certain similarities between many religions because all religions seek to answer certain questions humans have and all have a similar purpose. Likewise, I do not think other religions have copied Islam.

good to know you think that.

This does not compute with history and facts. Muhammad lived 570-632 CE, humans and religions were around long before that. Or do you deny these facts as well?

but the religion of god was named Islam with the comming of Muhammed (saws), it was given the name then. but "Islam" means "submission" so all the monotheistic religions such as judaism, christianity and islam are all the same age, the age that man himself exists, who was told by god to worship god.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
eselam, you make a lot of assumptions and inferences, but provide no actual evidence or proof. Islam is not the oldest religion, not even close. Any honest study into the formation of world religions will prove this.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
but the religion of god was named Islam with the comming of Muhammed (saws), it was given the name then. but "Islam" means "submission" so all the monotheistic religions such as judaism, christianity and islam are all the same age, the age that man himself exists, who was told by god to worship god.
What? That makes no sense.