• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam fights free speech

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
This article lists many recent instances of Western publishers and authors being threatened for criticizing Islam:

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/8907/islam-publishers-censorship

If Muslims want respect from non-Muslims, they have to stand openly and clearly against these sorts of attacks against modernity. I know, how about a new denomination of Islam that openly and clearly defines itself as a supporter of modern human rights and liberties?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
This article lists many recent instances of Western publishers and authors being threatened for criticizing Islam:

If Muslims want respect from non-Muslims, they have to stand openly and clearly against these sorts of attacks against modernity. I know, how about a new denomination of Islam that openly and clearly defines itself as a supporter of modern human rights and liberties?

99.99% of your post and threads are anti-Islam and anti-Muslims.
are Western publishers criticizing other religions as Judiasm or hinduism or atheism...etc too?

I distingue between criticizing and insulting and faking the truth , sometimes provocation(hate).

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
are Western publishers criticizing other religions as Judiasm or hinduism or atheism...etc too?

If a religion is disproportionately causing problems then it deserves a disproportionate amount of criticism.

I distingue between criticizing and insulting and faking the truth , sometimes provocation(hate).

Really? How do you distinguish between these?

Godobeyer

Premium Member
If a religion is disproportionately causing problems then it deserves a disproportionate amount of criticism.
Most of problems grace to the Western politic leader involve in Muslim business,so burn it up.

Really? How do you distinguish between these?
I already made the distinguish.
everyone had his own values.

icehorse

Premium Member

You must have missed this morning's criticism of the RC church! It's a doozy!

As far as the truth, the article I linked to makes many specific claims. These claims are each either true or false, feel free to address them!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

The fact that no person speaks for Islam is where the misunderstanding originates. It's not our fault that Islam is vague on many things that are wide open to interpretation.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Do you think there is enough reason for comparable criticism against religions?

I think you are complaining about the absence of that what does not have a reason to exist.

Britedream

It is usually the case with some poeple, it is caused by ignorance or hate, but the lack of info claim, is just a justification,

the scholars from different Faithes have put their views on the subject in the open.

Please follow the link, and you will see a christian scholar view on the subject:

"understanding Islam"

Another Jewish scholar view on Islam, please google " introduction to Islam for Jews" by Rabbi Firestone.

Last edited:

icehorse

Premium Member
Hi Britedream,

Perhaps the 89 minute video you link to is quite good. But before we all invest a lot of time watching this video, can you summarize for us how this video addresses the topic of free speech vs. criticism of Islam?

What's the bottom line?

Laika

Premium Member

It's been done:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_and_Progressive_Muslim_movements

How about you give some specific objections you have to Islam and post them in a thread in the Islam DIR so Muslims have an opportunity to defend their own beliefs? Maybe begin a personal dialogue to reach a mutual understanding about Islams place in modernity and its relationship with human rights?

Britedream

Hi Britedream,

Perhaps the 89 minute video you link to is quite good. But before we all invest a lot of time watching this video, can you summarize for us how this video addresses the topic of free speech vs. criticism of Islam?

What's the bottom line?
Islam is not a race, so if you single muslims, you are indacting that it comes from their religion. the link shows how misconceptions about Muslims and Islam develop.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Guys, I think this is another confusion of Islam and Muslims. I said it many times before; religions are just sets of rules and teachings. Followers of those religions are who do the act, and people are not perfect. Neither those religious followers are perfect nor those who dedicate their presence to target specific religions are. One has to be rational and neutral. Specifically targeting with negativity only makes our lives harder to live. Also, generalization is never the right thing in such diverse subjects.

As far as I know, being a Muslim myself, those misconceptions are taken from the actions of some Muslims (unfortunately), not what Islam teaches about it.

Last edited:

Britedream

Guys, I think this is another confusion of Islam and Muslims. I said it many time before; religions are just sets of rules and teachings. Followers of those religions are who do the act, and people are not perfect. Neither those religious followers are perfect nor those who dedicate their presence to target specific religions are. One has to be rational and neutral. Specifically targeting with negativity only makes our lives harder to live. Also, generalization is never the right thing in such diverse subjects.

As far as I know, being a Muslim myself, those misconceptions are taken from the actions of some Muslims (unfortunately), not what Islam teaches about it.

If he had said some muslims, I would have ignored it.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
You must have missed this morning's criticism of the RC church! It's a doozy!

As far as the truth, the article I linked to makes many specific claims. These claims are each either true or false, feel free to address them!
That's why I said other religion not Christianity. (your farvorite Judiasm)

I just notice that you said Islam in title, but it's fair to said some Muslims instead.

The fact that no person speaks for Islam is where the misunderstanding originates. It's not our fault that Islam is vague on many things that are wide open to interpretation.
And It's not our fault that West supported Bin laden and Alqaeda and Taliban,then these groups attack all Muslims countries and West too .

same to Iraq and Libya and Syria.

Do you think there is enough reason for comparable criticism against religions?

I think you are complaining about the absence of that what does not have a reason to exist.
Yes .
Yes every religion had it extremists , just West fault (involve) which make more in Muslim world.

then because non-religious people (such Hitler and Mossolini ...etc) done fatal crimes to world too,by name of nationalizm and racism.

Last edited:

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Guys, I think this is another confusion of Islam and Muslims. I said it many time before; .
I do believe it's was intentional, not confusion.

so what you said would not satisfy him or convince him,because he is anti-Islam and anti-Muslim.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually this is a part of Islam. Muhammad had poets killed for criticising him and speaking satire of him. Islam does not tolerate critique because Muhammad did not tolerate critique. Simple.

So, silencing critics?

Smile, it's sunnah!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It's been done:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_and_Progressive_Muslim_movements

How about you give some specific objections you have to Islam and post them in a thread in the Islam DIR so Muslims have an opportunity to defend their own beliefs? Maybe begin a personal dialogue to reach a mutual understanding about Islams place in modernity and its relationship with human rights?
The sad part of this cheery tidbit of info is that such groups have virtually no followers and even less support in wider Muslim circles. Many of the people cited in your article are openly persecuted for their ideas in the mainstream Muslim community which disavows any association to them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes every religion had it extremists , just West fault (involve) which make more in Muslim world.

then because non-religious people (such Hitler and Mossolini ...etc) done fatal crimes to world too,by name of nationalizm and racism.
Sorry, but I truly think you are seriously misrepresenting things. I don't think there is comparable repression of free speech in non-Muslim countries these days, and certainly not by claiming divine inspiration.

If there is, pointing it out would be welcome.