• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam and Tattoos

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I've gotten a variety of responses on whether or not tattoos are permissable from my Christian friends (just because I'm curious), what about in Islam?

If tattoos are impermissable, what about converts which have many tattoos? (I myself am covered with them for instance -- what would happen if I converted, or "reverted" as some Muslims/Muslimahs call it?)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Sunni no but Shia yes( depends).

The Sunniyyah is very strict on such things and body piercing are forbidden in the hanafi sect if I recall right (can't remember the regulations).
But one cannot have tattoos since is goes against Sahih Muslim or Bukhari collection (It is Muslim I believe) and it is about accessorizing the body in unnatural ways. Such things as autoflagellation are also forbidden by this.

cocolia42

If tattoos are impermissable, what about converts which have many tattoos? (I myself am covered with them for instance -- what would happen if I converted, or "reverted" as some Muslims/Muslimahs call it?)
Nothing would happen. Whatever you did before reverting to Islam is forgiven when you take your shahada (statement of faith). You do not need to remove them. You should cover them so as not to promote it.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Interesting, thank both of you for the responses!

Is there any reasoning given for abstaining from accesserizing the body? Is it a vanity thing?

cocolia42

Interesting, thank both of you for the responses!

Is there any reasoning given for abstaining from accesserizing the body? Is it a vanity thing?
yes, there are a few hadith about this topic. you can find them here: Search Results - tattoo (page 1) - Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet Muhammad (??? ???? ???? ? ???)

As I understand, there are two main reasons for abstaining from accessorizing the body. The first is that it alters the creation of Allah, thereby showing ingratitude and suggesting that Allah's wisdom is not perfect. The second is that it attracts inappropriate attention from others.

Aquitaine

yes, there are a few hadith about this topic. you can find them here: Search Results - tattoo (page 1) - Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet Muhammad (??? ???? ???? ? ???)

As I understand, there are two main reasons for abstaining from accessorizing the body. The first is that it alters the creation of Allah, thereby showing ingratitude and suggesting that Allah's wisdom is not perfect. The second is that it attracts inappropriate attention from others.

I've briefly looked at your link, it is a very long page and thus I haven't been able to read all those verses, but so far it seems the Tattoo rule is aimed only at Women: "The Lady who tattoos herself/ the woman who tattoos herself" etc.

Does there exist the same rule for Men in Islam?

Secondly, the rule regarding modification of the body as being an insult to Allah's design - how far does that rule extend? Does it end with tattoos and piercings, or does it apply to any artificial restructuring of the human body?

Cheers,
Paul Rusco.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

I've briefly looked at your link, it is a very long page and thus I haven't been able to read all those verses, but so far it seems the Tattoo rule is aimed only at Women: "The Lady who tattoos herself/ the woman who tattoos herself" etc.

Secondly, the rule regarding modification of the body as being an insult to Allah's design - how far does that rule extend? Does it end with tattoos and piercings, or does it apply to any artificial restructuring of the human body?

Cheers,
Paul Rusco.

I'm unsure how to read the link properly -- it appears as though many of the hadiths listed are the same one (perhaps different translations?)

There are a few that seem to universally reject tattooing, not just for women, though.

Is there anything in the Quran about tattooing, or is the rejection of tattoos only from the Haditha?

Also, hopefully this doesn't count as "debating," but I'm confused by the reasoning of altering that which Allah has made: isn't that done when trees are chopped down to build homes, or pruning a tree to enhance its aesthetics, etc? Why is a body's skin different: is it also wrong to draw something pretty in dirt, or paint something on a rock?

The "drawing attention from other people" reasoning I can see better, from the general focus on modesty in Islam. Though that makes me wonder about tattoos that aren't generally seen -- I have a full backpiece, for instance, yet usually wear clothing which doesn't reveal it.

cocolia42

Yes, it applies to men also. I'll see if I can find a specific link for you.

It applies to any permanent alteration that is not for medical/health reasons. So you could get a nose job if you have a deviated septum, but not if you don't like the way your nose looks ;)

I'm unsure how to read the link properly -- it appears as though many of the hadiths listed are the same one (perhaps different translations?)
Yes, different narrations of the same thing.

Is there anything in the Quran about tattooing, or is the rejection of tattoos only from the Haditha?
Honestly, I do not recall any verse in the Quran that specifically mentions tattooing. I'm not saying it's not there, I'm just saying I cannot confirm or deny at this time. But I can look and get back to you.

Also, hopefully this doesn't count as "debating," but I'm confused by the reasoning of altering that which Allah has made: isn't that done when trees are chopped down to build homes, or pruning a tree to enhance its aesthetics, etc? Why is a body's skin different: is it also wrong to draw something pretty in dirt, or paint something on a rock?
It's different. We are allowed to use its resources as long as we don't abuse them. So cutting down a tree to build homes or pruning is allowed.
I should mention, alterations that cause harm are not permissible. So painting a rock is fine. De-clawing a cat is fine. Giving a horse steroids so it will run faster is not because of the ill-effects of the steroids.

The "drawing attention from other people" reasoning I can see better, from the general focus on modesty in Islam. Though that makes me wonder about tattoos that aren't generally seen -- I have a full backpiece, for instance, yet usually wear clothing which doesn't reveal it.
If the only reason for not getting tattoos was modesty, then you'd have an excellent point. However, there are also the other reasons to consider.

cocolia42

Here are a few hadith forbidding tattooing that do not specify women:

It was narrated that Abu Hurairah said:
"A woman who did tattoos was brought to 'Umar and he said: 'I adjure you by Allah, did any one among you hear (anything from) the Messenger of Allah [SAW]?' Abu Hurairah said: "I stood up and said: 'O Commander of the Believers! I heard him (say something).' He said: 'What did you hear?' I said: 'I heard him say: Do not do tattoos and do not have tattoos done.'" (Sahih)
Sunan an-Nasa'i 5106

bn 'Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) said:
The Messenger of Allah (Peace Be Upon Him) cursed the maker and wearer of a wig and the tattooer and the one who is tattooed.
Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim

It was narrated that Abu Raihanah said:
"We heard that the Messenger of Allah [SAW] forbade filing (the teeth) and tattoos." (Sahih)
Sunan an-Nasa'i 5112

Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Messenger (Peace Be Upon Him) said, "The evil eye is a fact," and he forbade tattooing. Sahih al-Bukhari 5944

Treks

It applies to any permanent alteration that is not for medical/health reasons. So you could get a nose job if you have a deviated septum, but not if you don't like the way your nose looks ;)

Uh-oh... I bet I know where this is going...

Aquitaine

cocolia42 said:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. :)

Out of curiosity, given that the state of medicine in Arabia must've been virtually non-existent during the time of Mohammad, does the Koran or the Hadiths specifically give exception to the rule on the basis of Medical/health reasons?

I only ask because Surgery probably wasn't practiced or even thought of at that time, and surely the idea of Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery must've been completely unheard of. Is the Medical exception to the rule something modern scholars have agreed upon, or is it an exception firmly based in the Koran? :shrug:

Finally, is there a Cultural exception to the rule too, for example with things like Circumcision?

Cheers,
Paul Rusco.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sunni no but Shia yes( depends).

The Sunniyyah is very strict on such things and body piercing are forbidden in the hanafi sect if I recall right (can't remember the regulations).
But one cannot have tattoos since is goes against Sahih Muslim or Bukhari collection (It is Muslim I believe) and it is about accessorizing the body in unnatural ways. Such things as autoflagellation are also forbidden by this.
How might the type of tattoo matter if Islamic tradition did allow tattoos (or if some understanding/tradition of Islam did)? My knowledge of Islam and differences between traditions sort of breaks down here, but it was my understanding that certain interpretations (from ahadith or a hadith? or from the Quran?) about imitating the work of Allah was (or is?) believed to be profane. It was my understanding that the beautiful geometric designs in mosiacs, architecture, etc., as well as what I find to be the most aesthetically pleasing calligraphy in the world was due to, or at least related to, aniconism.

Am I just completely wrong, or would particular images be prohibited even if tattoos themselves were not?

cocolia42

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. :)

Out of curiosity, given that the state of medicine in Arabia must've been virtually non-existent during the time of Mohammad, does the Koran or the Hadiths specifically give exception to the rule on the basis of Medical/health reasons?

I only ask because Surgery probably wasn't practiced or even thought of at that time, and surely the idea of Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery must've been completely unheard of. Is the Medical exception to the rule something modern scholars have agreed upon, or is it an exception firmly based in the Koran? :shrug:

Well, there is a lot of information and I'm not a scholar, but I do know of one hadith that says:
Narrated Jabir:
The Prophet (PBUH) said, "If there is any healing in your medicines then it is a cupping operation, or branding (cauterization), but I do not like to be (cauterized) branded."
Sahih al-Bukhari 5704
Would you agree that cauterization or branding (for anything other than health reasons) would be altering and harming the creation of Allah?

Finally, is there a Cultural exception to the rule too, for example with things like Circumcision?
Circumcision was prescribed by Allah. So it is an exception because He commanded it for His believers.
Narrated Abu Huraira:
I heard the Prophet (PBUH) saying. "Five practices are characteristics of the Fitra: circumcision, shaving the pubic hair, cutting the moustaches short, clipping the nails, and depilating the hair of the armpits."
Sahih al-Bukhari 5891
Fitra is a pristine state, like the one in which we are born.

Aquitaine

cocolia42 said:
Would you agree that cauterization or branding (for anything other than health reasons) would be altering and harming the creation of Allah?

Yeah I can understand that. Although I'm still a little confused as to why Circumcison - the altering and harming of the creation of Allah is still permitted. Do Muslims have any information as to why Allah decided to modify his own creation post-deployment?

Cheers,
Paul Rusco.

cocolia42

Yeah I can understand that. Although I'm still a little confused as to why Circumcison - the altering and harming of the creation of Allah is still permitted. Do Muslims have any information as to why Allah decided to modify his own creation post-deployment?
Before I answer, I want to correct myself. I said earlier that God circumcision for His believers. But that's not entirely true. He commanded Ibrahim to circumcise himself and his sons, and He commanded us to follow the religion of Ibrahim.
Technically, circumcision is not required of a Muslim, but it is preferred as the Prophet told us it is sunnah.

So, to answer your question, we don't care about "why's". God knows why, we don't need to know why. This is a very important aspect of Islam, its what makes us submitters to God. All I know is what I've stated, that Ibrahim was commanded to do it, and we were commanded to follow his religion.

Aquitaine

Before I answer, I want to correct myself. I said earlier that God circumcision for His believers. But that's not entirely true. He commanded Ibrahim to circumcise himself and his sons, and He commanded us to follow the religion of Ibrahim.
Technically, circumcision is not required of a Muslim, but it is preferred as the Prophet told us it is sunnah.

So, to answer your question, we don't care about "why's". God knows why, we don't need to know why. This is a very important aspect of Islam, its what makes us submitters to God. All I know is what I've stated, that Ibrahim was commanded to do it, and we were commanded to follow his religion.

Oki-doki, thanks for clarifying your position. I had some other questions on this subject, but since this is a DIR thread I shall abstain. ^_^

Again, thanks for the conversation. :)

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
@ Cocolia, Masha Allah sister, that's quite some knowledge.

I hope Allah increases us further in knowledge.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
@ Meow Mix

There are a number of reasons why Islam prohibits tattoos, Cocolia has mentioned a few of them.

I will explain this matter a bit more especially the parts that Cocolia hasn't mentioned.

Firstly if one has/had tattoos while they were not a Muslim and latter become one, they have all their sins forgiven. However if tattoos are in question then after or just before accepting Islam one needs to remove their tattoos due to the matter of cleanliness.

Tattoos are forbidden for two main reasons, alteration of the body (this part has been explained by Cocolia) and prevention of water flowing over/through ones skin.

One of the conditions of ablution and ritual baths in Islam is that water must flow through/over ones skin. A tattoo does not allow water to flow over the skin (i.e water doesn't touch that part of the skin over which the tattoo is), it is the same as having a piece of shrink wrap over ones skin or as any other kind of paint.

Second, it has been asked 'why specifically women'. The thing with hadith is that just like the Qur'an, at times a particular hadith is directed at a particular group or individual due to that group or individual having taken part in something prohibited by Islam.

If there is no hadith that speaks of men being prohibited from getting tattoos the most likely reason for that is because at the time of the Prophet it was not the custom of men to get tattoos but instead was the custom of women only. So to deter them from this practice a ruling directed at women was issued which of course applies to the men of latter generations were they to take part in this prohibition.

And as for the limits to alteration of the body, if any part of ones body doesn't look natural then it is permissible to alter such a part into looking natural. But if any part of ones body looks natural then it is not permissible to change it unless it is due to medical concerns. Example:

We all have appendixes and we know they can be painful, but unless you are experiencing any pain from it there is no reason why you would want it to be taken out. There are people who live and die and have no problems with their appendix.

As for circumcision, it was the custom of Prophet Abraham, as mentioned by Cocolia. The reason behind circumcision is cleanliness. STD's are far more likely to be transmitted through an uncircumcised man than through a circumcised man.

I hope that clears a few more things.

Last edited:

Pastek

Sunni muslim

My grand-mother had (she passed away) some tatoos : in the chin, and the hands

I'm arab from north africa, but it was a berber custom. People didn't know it wasn't allowed.
So, she kept her tattos. It was like that :

57148.jpg

They used to do it in african countries too. Many women from Senegal and Mali have tatoos in their face.

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
@ Meow Mix

There are a number of reasons why Islam prohibits tattoos, Cocolia has mentioned a few of them.

I will explain this matter a bit more especially the parts that Cocolia hasn't mentioned.

Firstly if one has/had tattoos while they were not a Muslim and latter become one, they have all their sins forgiven. However if tattoos are in question then after or just before accepting Islam one needs to remove their tattoos due to the matter of cleanliness.

Tattoos are forbidden for two main reasons, alteration of the body (this part has been explained by Cocolia) and prevention of water flowing over/through ones skin.

One of the conditions of ablution and ritual baths in Islam is that water must flow through/over ones skin. A tattoo does not allow water to flow over the skin (i.e water doesn't touch that part of the skin over which the tattoo is), it is the same as having a piece of shrink wrap over ones skin or as any other kind of paint.

Second, it has been asked 'why specifically women'. The thing with hadith is that just like the Qur'an, at times a particular hadith is directed at a particular group or individual due to that group or individual having taken part in something prohibited by Islam.

If there is no hadith that speaks of men being prohibited from getting tattoos the most likely reason for that is because at the time of the Prophet it was not the custom of men to get tattoos but instead was the custom of women only. So to deter them from this practice a ruling directed at women was issued which of course applies to the men of latter generations were they to take part in this prohibition.

And as for the limits to alteration of the body, if any part of ones body doesn't look natural then it is permissible to alter such a part into looking natural. But if any part of ones body looks natural then it is not permissible to change it unless it is due to medical concerns. Example:

We all have appendixes and we know they can be painful, but unless you are experiencing any pain from it there is no reason why you would want it to be taken out. There are people who live and die and have no problems with their appendix.

As for circumcision, it was the custom of Prophet Abraham, as mentioned by Cocolia. The reason behind circumcision is cleanliness. STD's are far more likely to be transmitted through an uncircumcised man than through a circumcised man.

I hope that clears a few more things.

Is this information from some source?