• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam and people who wear the hijab

that_hijabi_girl

New Member :)
Being a Muslim and all I have been questioned about multiple things...I've been asked about attacks I'm not always aware about.. I've been asked if I was being oppressed.. and I've been asked about my religion in general. To be honest I know everyone has their own opinion... everyone is free to believe what they will and when we return to god inshallah (by Allah's will) we will be judged accordingly. Just to put it out there... if I was oppressed and being forced to wear a headscarf I would have taken it off... but by me wearing it by choice.. shows it was my decision. Islam is a peaceful religion.. and I'm aware of all the things... attacks and all the stuff you see on tv; but that doesn't mean the religion is a violent religion like most people portray it to be. There are good people and bad people in every religion.. No one is perfect; but in Islam if you kill anyone it is considered to be a major sin. It hurts to think though that people actually debate whether Islam is a peaceful religion or not though. All I know is when I pray, make dua and so forth I feel at peace. I try to spread all the true things about my religion through friends and anyone else that has questions... but one thing I should say is please for my sake and all the other Muslim people out there.. if you have a question about our religion ask us... and try your best to not believe the stereotypes. Anyways yeah I'm new to this forum and thought I would share some stuff... Guess I will wait and see how this works :p

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
i think the hijab is the least of Islams problems.

It actually looks very attractive imo.

:)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Being a Muslim and all I have been questioned about multiple things...I've been asked about attacks I'm not always aware about.. I've been asked if I was being oppressed.. and I've been asked about my religion in general. To be honest I know everyone has their own opinion... everyone is free to believe what they will and when we return to god inshallah (by Allah's will) we will be judged accordingly. Just to put it out there... if I was oppressed and being forced to wear a headscarf I would have taken it off... but by me wearing it by choice.. shows it was my decision. Islam is a peaceful religion.. and I'm aware of all the things... attacks and all the stuff you see on tv; but that doesn't mean the religion is a violent religion like most people portray it to be. There are good people and bad people in every religion.. No one is perfect; but in Islam if you kill anyone it is considered to be a major sin. It hurts to think though that people actually debate whether Islam is a peaceful religion or not though. All I know is when I pray, make dua and so forth I feel at peace. I try to spread all the true things about my religion through friends and anyone else that has questions... but one thing I should say is please for my sake and all the other Muslim people out there.. if you have a question about our religion ask us... and try your best to not believe the stereotypes. Anyways yeah I'm new to this forum and thought I would share some stuff... Guess I will wait and see how this works :p
A great first post, that_hijabi_girl, however I've tried what you recommend and found I got such a wide variety of answers to my questions that I was forced to read reams of information from authorative Islamic sources. If you want the real beans, you have to go to the source. Sadly, that didn't help much either as I soon discovered that there is a HUGE range of opinions among the "scholars" of Islam. It's certainly been a weird, but interesting ride. That said, I wholeheartedly recommend that people read what the scholars have to say. Information is a powerful thing and though it can be a bit mind-numbing reading through the dense Islamic texts the results are rewarding.

that_hijabi_girl

Yes I agree there are many different things said by the scholars but not all the things that are said are true.. but then again how will you know when something is true and when something is made up or changed a bit. I think and would suggest if you can to read the Quran you know like the translation. Also if you ever have any questions feel free to ask and I will always try my best to answer them as best I can :) Also the last thing is you should go to turntoislam.com they have a wide community on there having new converts, Christians, Muslims. Basically all faiths are on there and you can post and ask questions and they have videos on the side that explain a ton of things. But yeah feel free at any time to post on here and I'll reply like I did just now :)

that_hijabi_girl

Oh thank you so much about the posting part as well :) I have always wanted to talk about stereotypes and really big topics that sometimes need to be discussed and well I'm a chatterbox so this helps get my ideas across :)

that_hijabi_girl

i think the hijab is the least of Islams problems.

It actually looks very attractive imo.

:)

Well I mean it is a small problem for us Muslims in the world... you're right its one of the small problems nowadays; but still can be an issue. I mean there are many people for example in France that wear the hijab but I heard Muslim people have gotten arrested over there for some strange reason and I suppose the fear of terrorists. Then again no religion is perfect; but that doesn't mean everyone who wears a headscarf you should be scared of (society). Most people aren't scared of us but some are and its our job as Muslims to help people realize that there is nothing to fear when we are around. It kind of is a big problem though for some of my friends, because well some go to public schools and I mean they get questioned rudely about their religion and if they were involved in attacks and so forth. I mean even me.. when I go to airports I get checked often and I'm targeted out of the whole line just because I'm more covered than everyone else there. People make harsh and rude jokes and say things that aren't at all true. Hurtful comments and jokes about us tear us apart sadly... but then again I mean it makes us stronger too as a whole I mean. I love my religion and I don't know there are a ton of bigger problems out there I'm sure.. like the Israel and Palestine thing that's going on. For me though the oppressed headscarf stereotype and topic is a huge problem for both me and my other muslim friends who wear it and plan to wear it. Sometimes my friends that are so excited to wear it fear what will happen when they do. There are muslim sisters out there that I have heard get kidnapped, and raped for no reason. If people can show their bodies freely... than why can't muslim women by choice wear a headscarf without getting harassed? Not sure..but yeah its a problem; but there are always problems whether small or big; but its our job to help let people realize nothing is easy in this life. Our religion says that this life is a test and all the people that say things to us are testing us by questioning our choice and reason to wear it. I'm happy with my choice and I know others are too :) Anyways sorry for the long reply :p I guess I felt like making it kind of lengthy whoopsies and by the way thanks about the attractive part :p There are many styles; but the reason why you wear it (intention) has to be pure and you have to wear it correctly or it won't necessarily be counted as a good intention.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Well I mean it is a small problem for us Muslims in the world... you're right its one of the small problems nowadays; but still can be an issue. I mean there are many people for example in France that wear the hijab but I heard Muslim people have gotten arrested over there for some strange reason and I suppose the fear of terrorists. Then again no religion is perfect; but that doesn't mean everyone who wears a headscarf you should be scared of (society). Most people aren't scared of us but some are and its our job as Muslims to help people realize that there is nothing to fear when we are around. It kind of is a big problem though for some of my friends, because well some go to public schools and I mean they get questioned rudely about their religion and if they were involved in attacks and so forth. I mean even me.. when I go to airports I get checked often and I'm targeted out of the whole line just because I'm more covered than everyone else there. People make harsh and rude jokes and say things that aren't at all true. Hurtful comments and jokes about us tear us apart sadly... but then again I mean it makes us stronger too as a whole I mean. I love my religion and I don't know there are a ton of bigger problems out there I'm sure.. like the Israel and Palestine thing that's going on. For me though the oppressed headscarf stereotype and topic is a huge problem for both me and my other muslim friends who wear it and plan to wear it. Sometimes my friends that are so excited to wear it fear what will happen when they do. There are muslim sisters out there that I have heard get kidnapped, and raped for no reason. If people can show their bodies freely... than why can't muslim women by choice wear a headscarf without getting harassed? Not sure..but yeah its a problem; but there are always problems whether small or big; but its our job to help let people realize nothing is easy in this life. Our religion says that this life is a test and all the people that say things to us are testing us by questioning our choice and reason to wear it. I'm happy with my choice and I know others are too :) Anyways sorry for the long reply :p I guess I felt like making it kind of lengthy whoopsies and by the way thanks about the attractive part :p There are many styles; but the reason why you wear it (intention) has to be pure and you have to wear it correctly or it won't necessarily be counted as a good intention.

yes i know that people can be cruel and unkind... but i've learned thats its not against you personally that they express their dislike. Its actually the religion they dont like.

I know this because im also from a religion which is often criticised and spoken of abusively. So my advice is to not take peoples attacks personally. Its the religion people dont like and they usually dont like it because they dont understand it or it doesnt fit with their preconceived ideas of how things should be.

basically its called 'intolerance' generated from 'ignorance'. They dont want to educate themselves on what the religion is about, so anyone who represents that religion is an easy target for their abuse. In your case you are wearing a piece of clothing which identifies you as a muslim too...so you are like a sitting duck. I've heard that the men in your religion dont tend to get abused as much as the women....but thats because they dont have to wear anything which identifies them so they can blend into a crowed without standing out. But you muslim women stand out...so naturally you will get more notice then the men.

to me thats unfair.... i vote for the men to wear the hijab with you ;):D

that_hijabi_girl

yes i know that people can be cruel and unkind... but i've learned thats its not against you personally that they express their dislike. Its actually the religion they dont like.

I know this because im also from a religion which is often criticised and spoken of abusively. So my advice is to not take peoples attacks personally. Its the religion people dont like and they usually dont like it because they dont understand it or it doesnt fit with their preconceived ideas of how things should be.

basically its called 'intolerance' generated from 'ignorance'. They dont want to educate themselves on what the religion is about, so anyone who represents that religion is an easy target for their abuse. In your case you are wearing a piece of clothing which identifies you as a muslim too...so you are like a sitting duck. I've heard that the men in your religion dont tend to get abused as much as the women....but thats because they dont have to wear anything which identifies them so they can blend into a crowed without standing out. But you muslim women stand out...so naturally you will get more notice then the men.

to me thats unfair.... i vote for the men to wear the hijab with you ;):D

Ahhh yes you have a good point about the men not standing out but in some cases they do because its sunnah (if they want, following in prophet Muhammed pbuh's) footsteps they should and can grow out a beard and some men wear a topi (that might be the wrong spelling); but a cap on their heads to show they are muslim..its kind of similar to what the jewish people wear I think because I've seen a few wearing them :) Yeah being educated plays a huge part when it comes to breaking down and truly understanding a religion. Hopefully the more educated people become about religions than the more easier it will be to discuss it without someone saying "No your religion is wrong if you don't believe so and so". I wish world peace was possible but there will always be conflict and misunderstandings. All people can do is spread what they know and hope for a good understanding and outcome :') To be honest going back on the hijab though... I can honestly say I'm glad I chose to wear it because it makes me cautious and its a continuous reminder to watch everything I do and be careful with what I say. The hijab (headscarf) is a part of me and it always will be :) In the past I would be scared to wear it but now I wear it confidently without fear because I have faith in Allah and I know I'm wearing it for him and to protect me from anything harmful and etc.

that_hijabi_girl

A great first post, that_hijabi_girl, however I've tried what you recommend and found I got such a wide variety of answers to my questions that I was forced to read reams of information from authorative Islamic sources. If you want the real beans, you have to go to the source. Sadly, that didn't help much either as I soon discovered that there is a HUGE range of opinions among the "scholars" of Islam. It's certainly been a weird, but interesting ride. That said, I wholeheartedly recommend that people read what the scholars have to say. Information is a powerful thing and though it can be a bit mind-numbing reading through the dense Islamic texts the results are rewarding.

I posted two things for you (replies) ^ but didn't realize I should have copied your post first until later :p (I'm new at this so oops)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I posted two things for you (replies) ^ but didn't realize I should have copied your post first until later :p (I'm new at this so oops)
No worries, it appears you are catching on just fine. Welcome to the nuthouse known as RF.

Dare I ask, what flavor of Islam you follow? (IE. Sunni, Shia, Qur'an only, Ahmadiyya‎ etc...) Clarification on this will help people understand more clearly where you are coming from.

that_hijabi_girl

No worries, it appears you are catching on just fine. Welcome to the nuthouse known as RF.

Dare I ask, what flavor of Islam you follow? (IE. Sunni, Shia, Qur'an only, Ahmadiyya‎ etc...) Clarification on this will help people understand more clearly where you are coming from.

:) I am a Sunni Muslim and yeah knowing what part of Islam I follow is important I agree :) Yeah this site.. I hate the layout because its iffy for me but I'm kind of getting use to it :p :)

outhouse

Atheistically
Welcome !!!!!

The comic Gabrial Iglesias did a great stand up routine and explained about how he fell into the stereotypes, until he went over to the middle east at the request of a prince.

Degraded fox news for their bias, which I have to agree. They do not show the real people and how most muslims are great people.

Draupadi

they should and can grow out a beard and some men wear a topi (that might be the wrong spelling)

The difference is that men are required to cover less. Caps and beards are not mandatory while hijab is. The Hadith states that a man must be covered from the belly button to the knees while a woman can only expose her hands and face (although many hadiths make niqab compulsory). Of course there are the Quranic guidelines to lower the gaze and protect the private parts.

It seems that women are not at all attracted by the beauty of men :rolleyes:.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The difference is that men are required to cover less. Caps and beards are not mandatory while hijab is. The Hadith states that a man must be covered from the belly button to the knees while a woman can only expose her hands and face (although many hadiths make niqab compulsory). Of course there are the Quranic guidelines to lower the gaze and protect the private parts.

But the question for most of us is how did the words of the Qur'an, get changed to the words of man? Hadiths, etc?

Say to the believing - men - that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and God is well acquainted with all that they do.

And say to the believing - women - that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their zeenah (charms, or beauty and ornaments) except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their khimar (veils) over their bosoms and not display their zeenah except to their husbands, their fathers .... and that they should not strike their feet so as to draw attention to their hidden zeenah (ornaments). (24:31-32)

How do verses like these become those women who are shrouded, head to toe, even their faces covered, in heat seeking black or blue coverings? While the men dress in comfortable heat reflecting white?

They are not the Prophet's wives.

that_hijabi_girl

Welcome !!!!!

The comic Gabrial Iglesias did a great stand up routine and explained about how he fell into the stereotypes, until he went over to the middle east at the request of a prince.

Degraded fox news for their bias, which I have to agree. They do not show the real people and how most muslims are great people.

Yes I know about Gabriel I. and its true people do right away go and start to believe the stereotypes..either because they don't have the patience and excitement to get to know the religion or its people or maybe just because its easier to believe... we are good people and the people out there that are doing the bad things.. are just people that are making the religion look bad (which is in every religion)

that_hijabi_girl

Thank you my dear sister for bringing the quran evidence :) Yes they do cover less and hijab is required according to our book. Lowering your gaze has a good purpose subhanallah how everything works in ways that are understandable. haha as for the women being attracted to the men.. we r but well we too should lower our gaze and men are the providers for us and the safety. Being attractive plays a part but if done the right way and as long as you let Allah guide you than the relationship will be halal and you will be attracted to them :p But ya I think you have a good point with the women not being as attracted. I'm not sure if you've heard.. I heard it on a daily Islamic reminder video, where it said Men desire and want the most in the world.. women.. that's what they wish for... and etc etc. Women on the other hand care more for jewelry and looking good. I found it interesting hopefully when I come across it again (the video) I will attach it here inshallah

Draupadi

But the question for most of us is how did the words of the Qur'an, get changed to the words of man? Hadiths, etc?

Say to the believing - men - that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and God is well acquainted with all that they do.

And say to the believing - women - that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their zeenah (charms, or beauty and ornaments) except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their khimar (veils) over their bosoms and not display their zeenah except to their husbands, their fathers .... and that they should not strike their feet so as to draw attention to their hidden zeenah (ornaments). (24:31-32)

How do verses like these become those women who are shrouded, head to toe, even their faces covered, in heat seeking black or blue coverings? While the men dress in comfortable heat reflecting white?

They are not the Prophet's wives.

Sometimes the Hadith advocates extra stuff to follow Islam even for prayers. And only wearing black colour for the women is not in our religion. It has stemmed from the minds of ultra conservative people.

You know The Hijabi Sister, it may sound silly but I would prefer an excellent husband over a locket with the Kohinoor any day, but that's just me.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Sometimes the Hadith advocates extra stuff to follow Islam even for prayers. And only wearing black colour for the women is not in our religion. It has stemmed from the minds of ultra conservative people.

You know The Hijabi Sister, it may sound silly but I would prefer an excellent husband over a locket with the Kohinoor any day, but that's just me.

I definitely prefer my excellent men over Jewelry, etc. :D

I don't wear makeup - and other then the permanent ring in my nose - I don't wear jewelry either.

I prefer being a free "real" Alaskan woman.

It's hard to hunt in makeup and jewelry. The clinking scares the Moose away. LOL! :yes:

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
BIslam is a peaceful religion.. and I'm aware of all the things... attacks and all the stuff you see on tv; but that doesn't mean the religion is a violent religion like most people portray it to be. There are good people and bad people in every religion.. No one is perfect; but in Islam if you kill anyone it is considered to be a major sin.

If you kill anybody Islam it is a sin. Unless that person opposes the religion of Islam.
"God does not forbid you from being good to those who have not fought you in the religion or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. God loves those who are just. Allah merely forbids you taking friends who have fought you in religion" (Quran 60)

It hurts to think though that people actually debate whether Islam is a peaceful religion or not though. All I know is when I pray, make dua and so forth I feel at peace. I try to spread all the true things about my religion through friends and anyone else that has questions... but one thing I should say is please for my sake and all the other Muslim people out there.. if you have a question about our religion ask us... and try your best to not believe the stereotypes. Anyways yeah I'm new to this forum and thought I would share some stuff... Guess I will wait and see how this works :p

My main question is why is the killing of apostates taught?

Looncall

Thank you my dear sister for bringing the quran evidence :) Yes they do cover less and hijab is required according to our book. Lowering your gaze has a good purpose subhanallah how everything works in ways that are understandable. haha as for the women being attracted to the men.. we r but well we too should lower our gaze and men are the providers for us and the safety. Being attractive plays a part but if done the right way and as long as you let Allah guide you than the relationship will be halal and you will be attracted to them :p But ya I think you have a good point with the women not being as attracted. I'm not sure if you've heard.. I heard it on a daily Islamic reminder video, where it said Men desire and want the most in the world.. women.. that's what they wish for... and etc etc. Women on the other hand care more for jewelry and looking good. I found it interesting hopefully when I come across it again (the video) I will attach it here inshallah

Why do you need someone else to provide for you? Are you not a whole person yourself?

I rather wonder about the video you mention ... sounds rather sexist to me.