• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isis/Mary

Tau

Is the worship of Mary rooted in the Roman Isis cult?

It seems like Christianity absorbed Isis and transformed her to Mary to appeal to women converts, the main worshippers of Isis, during the early days of the church, is there any firm evidence for this theory?

Random

The Virgin Mary is the Goddess in all but name, she is the Goddess archetype - the divine feminie, intuitive, nurturing etc.

The statue of Mary that I light candles for in my local Church sometimes is the same Madonna (Mother & divine Child, god-king to be) figure that Isis was depicted as in ancient Egypt, which the Romans later adpoted into their own multifarious cult system. Compare photoes online, they're easy to find.

Mary also has all the old pagan titles and trappings of the Goddess - Queen of Heaven, Immaculate Virgin etc.

So there is little practical difference, beyond the conceit of the Priests that she is in fact not a Goddess. :rolleyes: But Churchmen are expert at dissimulation, as anyone who has read the Catholic Encyclopedia with discernment will agree.

To understand how the patriarchal version of the Goddess & God redemption story pans out, read Jesus and the Goddess by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy.

Reactions: Tau

Tau

The Virgin Mary is the Goddess in all but name, she is the Goddess archetype - the divine feminie, intuitive, nurturing etc.

The statue of Mary that I light candles for in my local Church sometimes is the same Madonna (Mother & divine Child, god-king to be) figure that Isis was depicted as in ancient Egypt, which the Romans later adpoted into their own multifarious cult system. Compare photoes online, they're easy to find.

Mary also has all the old pagan titles and trappings of the Goddess - Queen of Heaven, Immaculate Virgin etc.

So there is little practical difference, beyond the conceit of the Priests that she is in fact not a Goddess. :rolleyes: But Churchmen are expert at dissimulation, as anyone who has read the Catholic Encyclopedia with discernment will agree.

To understand how the patriarchal version of the Goddess & God redemption story pans out, read Jesus and the Goddess by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy.

Thankyou I will.