• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ISIS Bride Wants To Return To Return To The U.S.

Should Hoda Muthana be allowed to reenter the U.S.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
US law does not trump Syrian law. You are still ignoring my points. Try again.

I did not say USA law trumps Syrian law, but nonetheless, the USA can try people for treason against the USA while the person is in another country, and request extradition, which we are dealing with international relationships. The problem is the extradition has to on agreement of both countries. We do not even have effective diplomatic relationships with Syria to effect extradition, though Syria may consent to extradition, or the person may voluntarily come to the USA for trial which may be the case here.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
She openly and publicly recruited for ISIS and advocated violence against the USA in the name of ISIS. Everyone who has done this has been convicted.
I agree that she could be convicted.
But I can also see her mounting a successful defense
based upon her age,& circumstances, & actions.
On top of that, she's a mother, & would get sympathy.

I've dealt with courts enuf to see that the law is one
thing, but emotions also have great power to either
convict or exculpate. Which would it be? I dunno.

esmith

Veteran Member
No US citizenship can renounce their US citizenship before age 21. I doubt Trump knows the law.
Suggest you do a little research before making statements that can be easily found to be false.
Citizenship is a status that is personal to the U.S. citizen. Therefore parents may not renounce the citizenship of their minor children. Similarly, parents/legal guardians may not renounce the citizenship of individuals who lack sufficient capacity to do so. Minors seeking to renounce their U.S. citizenship must demonstrate to a consular officer that they are acting voluntarily, without undue influence from parent(s), and that they fully understand the implications/consequences attendant to the renunciation of U.S. citizenship. Children under 16 are presumed not to have the requisite maturity and knowing intent to relinquish citizenship; children under 18 are provided additional safeguards during the renunciation process, and their cases are afforded very careful consideration by post and the Department to assess their voluntariness and informed intent. Unless there are emergent circumstances, minors may wish to wait until age 18 to renounce citizenship.

However in this person's case she can involuntary have her citizenship revoked.
You will no longer be an American citizen if you voluntarily give up (renounce) your U.S. citizenship. You might lose your U.S. citizenship in specific cases, including if you:

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 807; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(2)(J), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)

sooda

Veteran Member
You will no longer be an American citizen if you voluntarily give up (renounce) your U.S. citizenship. You might lose your U.S. citizenship in specific cases, including if you:

Renounce or Lose Your U.S. Citizenship | USAGov

Shad

Veteran Member
I did not say USA law trumps Syrian law, but nonetheless, the USA can try people for treason against the USA while the person is in another country, and request extradition, which we are dealing with international relationships.

Go back through the comment and chain to take note how it started. You jumped on a wagon, conversation, you didn't bother checking before hand about courts and a claim that if she tried in the US that means she has no trial anywhere....

The problem is the extradition has to on agreement of both countries. We do not even have effective diplomatic relationships with Syria to effect extradition, though Syria may consent to extradition, or the person may voluntarily come to the USA for trial which may be the case here.

We have no idea what Syria will do. The USA already denied her request.

Do note she could turn herself over to the Syrians... yet she doesn't. She want to return to America as Americans on the left will cut her slack as per this thread.