• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isaiah 38:18

Frank Goad

What do you think of Isaiah 38:18?I am asking the jw this question.I am asking this question from the kjv of the bible.

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
What do you think of Isaiah 38:18?

Isaiah 38 - Hezekiah’s Illness - In those days - Bible Gateway
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah 38
Isaiah 38 New International Version (NIV) Hezekiah’s Illness. 38 In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, “This is what the Lord says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover.”. 2 Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, 3 “Remember, Lord, how I have ...

Jeremiah Ames

First, nearly all your questions are addressed to JW.
So I assume you are JW.
But I hope you don’t mind my comments.

Regarding this one, I will try to give you a clue from my own humble thoughts. When it speaks of life and death, you need to know what is meant by those words. The Lord used the words often while on earth, in many contexts, so a reader should be able to get an understanding.

Frank Goad

If you notice in the kjv of Isaiah 38:18 it mentions the grave once and the pit once.Why if they are the same?:confused:

Jeremiah Ames

If you notice in the kjv of Isaiah 38:18 it mentions the grave once and the pit once.Why if they are the same?:confused:

Yes, sorry I didn’t comment on those.
I thought the greatest benefit would be had in focusing on the life and death parts.

Again, my humble thoughts only. The grave/pit are connected to the dead, or death.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
What do you think of Isaiah 38:18?I am asking the jw this question.I am asking this question from the kjv of the bible.

KJV...
18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth."

The NWT renders that verse....
"For the Grave cannot glorify you, Death cannot praise you.
Those who go down into the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness."

Why single out the KJV, which is essentially a terrible Bible translation according to today's language usage.

If you notice in the kjv of Isaiah 38:18 it mentions the grave once and the pit once. Why if they are the same?:confused:

There are two words used in this verse. One "sheol" means "grave, pit".
King David mourned the loss of his infant son and said..."Then all his sons and all his daughters arose to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. And he said, “Surely I will go down to Sheol H7585 in mourning for my son.” So his father wept for him."
His grief was such that he wanted to join his son in death.

The other is "bowr" basically means a hole in the ground or even a dungeon which is an underground prison. The grave is basically that....a place where the dead cannot get out.

We have words that are different but have the same meaning too...it is just how language works.

tigger2

KJV...
18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth."

The NWT renders that verse....
"For the Grave cannot glorify you, Death cannot praise you.
Those who go down into the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness."

Why single out the KJV, which is essentially a terrible Bible translation according to today's language usage.

There are two words used in this verse. One "sheol" means "grave, pit".
King David mourned the loss of his infant son and said..."Then all his sons and all his daughters arose to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. And he said, “Surely I will go down to Sheol H7585 in mourning for my son.” So his father wept for him."
His grief was such that he wanted to join his son in death.

The other is "bowr" basically means a hole in the ground or even a dungeon which is an underground prison. The grave is basically that....a place where the dead cannot get out.

We have words that are different but have the same meaning too...it is just how language works.

It is simply a scripturally common use of parallelism.