• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Zoroastrianism (religion of Prophet Zarathushtra) a revealed religion?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Ahmadis and Shias face persecution and killings by Sunni muslims.

Why?

I think it will be off-topic to discuss it here; so I start a new thread titled "Persecution and killings of peaceful Ahmadi Muslims".

Shias may respond their viewpoint themselves.

Regards

Ryujin

Dragon Worshipper
Here's a scholarly article on shia Islamic view on Zoroastrianism:

It is a divine religion, just like Judaism and Christianity. And its subscribers are also among the people of scriptures.

I had heard that one of the prophet Mohammad's original companions was a Persian born Zoroastrian and that he was one of the first to write down the Quran. Have you heard this story and do you think it is true? Also, if the Zoroastrians were originally held to the same level as the Christians and Jews, why do you think they were tolerated so much less? For example, when Irag was conquered, the Assyrian Christians were welcomed and protected and even survived in large numbers in Iraq until recently. My point is this: they thrived. The Zoroastrians, on the other hand, to quote a Magi of the time at Yazd, "no period, not even that of Alexander, had been more grievous or troublesome for the faithful(Zoroastrians) than this millennium" Why was this if they were also considered followers of a divine religion?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I had heard that one of the prophet Mohammad's original companions was a Persian born Zoroastrian and that he was one of the first to write down the Quran.

Have you heard this story and do you think it is true? Also, if the Zoroastrians were originally held to the same level as the Christians and Jews, why do you think they were tolerated so much less?

For example, when Irag was conquered, the Assyrian Christians were welcomed and protected and even survived in large numbers in Iraq until recently. My point is this: they thrived. The Zoroastrians, on the other hand, to quote a Magi of the time at Yazd, "no period, not even that of Alexander, had been more grievous or troublesome for the faithful(Zoroastrians) than this millennium"

Why was this if they were also considered followers of a divine religion?

Zoroaster was a truthful prophet of G-d (Ahura Mazda).

Zoroaster must have prophesied as to how Zoroastrianism would fair in the present time (3000 years after him).

Is there any prophecy from Zoroaster to this affect?

Was Zoroastrianism to merge into another religion? Please

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I had heard that one of the prophet Mohammad's original companions was a Persian born Zoroastrian and that he was one of the first to write down the Quran. Have you heard this story and do you think it is true? Also, if the Zoroastrians were originally held to the same level as the Christians and Jews, why do you think they were tolerated so much less? For example, when Irag was conquered, the Assyrian Christians were welcomed and protected and even survived in large numbers in Iraq until recently. My point is this: they thrived. The Zoroastrians, on the other hand, to quote a Magi of the time at Yazd, "no period, not even that of Alexander, had been more grievous or troublesome for the faithful(Zoroastrians) than this millennium" Why was this if they were also considered followers of a divine religion?

if the Zoroastrians were originally held to the same level as the Christians and Jews, why do you think they were tolerated so much less?

They were tolerated and respected:

"When the companions of the Prophet, on invading Persia, came in contact with the Zoroastrian people and learned these teachings, they at once came to the conclusion that Zoroaster was really a Divinely inspired prophet. Thus they accorded the same treatment to the Zoroastrian people which they did to other "People of the Book".

Though the name of Zoroaster is not mentioned in the Qur'an, still he was regarded as one of those prophets whose names have not been mentioned in the Qur'an, for there is a verse in the Qur'an: "And We did send apostles before thee: there are some of them that We have mentioned to thee and there are others whom We have not mentioned to Thee." (40 : 78).

Accordingly the Muslims treated the founder of Zoroastrianism as a true prophet and believed in his religion as they did in other inspired creeds, and thus according to the prophecy, protected the Zoroastrian religion.

James Darmestar remarked in the translation of Zend Avesta: "When Islam assimilated the Zoroastrians to the People of the Book, it evinced a rare historical sense and solved the problem of the origin of the Avesta." (Introduction to Vendiad. p. 69.)

Zoroaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MD

qualiaphile
They were tolerated and respected:

"When the companions of the Prophet, on invading Persia, came in contact with the Zoroastrian people and learned these teachings, they at once came to the conclusion that Zoroaster was really a Divinely inspired prophet. Thus they accorded the same treatment to the Zoroastrian people which they did to other "People of the Book".

Though the name of Zoroaster is not mentioned in the Qur'an, still he was regarded as one of those prophets whose names have not been mentioned in the Qur'an, for there is a verse in the Qur'an: "And We did send apostles before thee: there are some of them that We have mentioned to thee and there are others whom We have not mentioned to Thee." (40 : 78).

Accordingly the Muslims treated the founder of Zoroastrianism as a true prophet and believed in his religion as they did in other inspired creeds, and thus according to the prophecy, protected the Zoroastrian religion.

James Darmestar remarked in the translation of Zend Avesta: "When Islam assimilated the Zoroastrians to the People of the Book, it evinced a rare historical sense and solved the problem of the origin of the Avesta." (Introduction to Vendiad. p. 69.)

Zoroaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The introduction to vendidad source has no citation. Can you stop with your blatant garbage?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The introduction to vendidad source has no citation. Can you stop with your blatant garbage?

I gave a quotation from Wikipedia; they have included it.

I don't understand your objection. You can correct the Wikipedia entry, if you may like. Please

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is Zoroastrianism (religion of Prophet Zarathushtra) a revealed religion?

Zoroaster must have prophesied as to how Zoroastrianism would fair in the present time (3000 years after him).

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Speculation and parallelism nothing more.

How come?

Since Zoroaster was a truthful prophet and a truthful prophet is called a prophet by definition for prophesying about future. Zoroaster must have told of future as to what is going to happen to the Zoroastrianism and to the Zoroastrians in future.

It is on record that Buddha, Krishna, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad foretold in this connection; why should Zoroaster not foretell?

The Zoroastrians keep their lips tight?!!!

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I've always felt that Zoroastrians are liberal with the wrong things and conservative with the wrong things.

I am liberal in the sense that I do fully think converts should be accepted and that anyone who wishes to be Zoroastrian should be allowed to do so. I believe mixed Zoroastrian kids should be allowed to be Zoroastrian.

But I'm conservative in the sense that I believe we need to have more kids. I'm conservative in the sense that we need strong morals and foundations and should be more focused on building our faith. Too many Zoroastrians (especially Indian Parsis) are like Europeans, living open and hedonistic lives without purpose. Many don't have kids. Too much focus on career. I don't agree with many of these things. I think I am a minority in such thinking however. Most Parsis don't care, and continue to live their hedonistic liberal lives. It will be our undoing, just like it will eventually ruin the West as well.

I appreciate and like your post.
Regards

Shad

Veteran Member
How come?

Since Zoroaster was a truthful prophet and a truthful prophet is called a prophet by definition for prophesying about future. Zoroaster must have told of future as to what is going to happen to the Zoroastrianism and to the Zoroastrians in future.

Assumption. More so under Persia rule Judaism was not see as a similar or related religion. Judaism assimilated many of it's own concepts from Zoroastrianism. You are attempting to use the religion to put forward your own but there is not a single piece of evidence that Judaism/Islam and Zoroastrianism are related other than by plagiarism

It is on record that Buddha, Krishna, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad foretold in this connection; why should Zoroaster not foretell?

Budda has nothing to do with monotheism. Moses is a myth. Krishna has nothing to do with Abrahmaic religions. You are making up claims to valid your minor sect of Islam.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I haven't really met any who identify as Hindu, but I do personally know some Parsis who converted to Islam or Christianity. Hinduism is a pretty open faith, many Parsis in India believe in Hindu Gods and Goddesses. The Abrahamic faiths proselytize strongly to Parsis and I've known two people who converted to Christianity and many women who married Muslim men and left my faith.

The Arabs damaged Zoroastrianism but it was the Persian dynasties that came later which themselves destroyed the religion and adopted Islam. Shia Islam is an attempt by Iran to Persianize Islam. Any attempt to revive Zoroastrianism was brought about by the Pahlavi dynasty, which again was quashed by the Revolution in Iran. Although my ethnicity is mostly Persian, I've always seen Iran as the abusive parents while India were the adoptive parents who treated us with love and kindness and helped us thrive.

That being said I think Zoroastrianism has a small chance in Iran and Kurdistan. If Iran was a free and open society many would convert, even just in name. The Kurdish flag has a sun on it, which has 21 rays, a number holy in Zoroastrianism as it represents the 21 Nasks. The Kurds also opened a new fire temple in Sweden, but I haven't read much about it. They also have a religion known as Yezidism, which is an offshoot in Zoroastrianism. However many Yezidis are being killed off by ISIS. It's a matter of pride for some people in Iran. Nouroz is a Zoroastrian holiday which is a nationali holiday. Khoda is the Zoroastrian word for God and Namaz is the Zoroastrian word for prayer. Iran is really the only hope we have, if the country did become secular. However, I don't see that happening for a long time and going by the aggressive anti religious movements in the West, I don't think we have much of a future here either.

I do feel the Parsis are finished in India for good due to poor planning by the ruling Parsi panchayat and the general backwardness of Parsi thinking. The continuous blocking of new Iranian converts is generally done by Parsis who have no other plan but to armchair criticize with no actual plans or options.
"Khoda is the Zoroastrian word for God and Namaz is the Zoroastrian word for prayer".

Yes, it is true and it is very commonly used by Muslims in India and Pakistan.

"it was the Persian dynasties that came later which themselves destroyed the religion and adopted Islam".

The Zoroastrian converts to Islam and their progeny played a very important role in preserving the sayings of the prophet Muhammad:

Muhammad ibn Isma`il al-Bukhari al-Ju`fi was born 13 Shawwal 194 AH (19 July 810) in the city of Bukhara in Khorasan (in present-day Uzbekistan).[2][6]
His father, Ismail ibn Ibrahim, a scholar of hadith, was a student and associate of Malik ibn Anas. Some Iraqi scholars related hadith narrations from him.[2]
Bukhari's great-grandfather, al-Mughirah, settled in Bukhara after accepting Islam at the hands of Bukhara's governor, Yaman al-Ju`fi. As was the custom, he became a mawla of Yaman, and his family continued to carry the nisbah of "al-Ju`fi".[2][6][7]
Al-Mughirah's father, Bardizbah, is the earliest known ancestor of Bukhari according to most scholars and historians. He was a Magi (Zoroastrianand died as such. As-Subki is the only scholar to name Bardizbah's father, who he says was named Bazzabah (Persian: بذذبه‎). Little is known of either Bardizbah or Bazzabah, except that they were Persian and followed the religion of their people.[2] Historians have also not come across any information on Bukhari's grandfather, Ibrahim ibn al-Mughirah.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_al-Bukhari

And we are thankful to him for compiling "Sahih al-Bukhari"
Regards

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

The Zoroastrians keep their lips tight?!!!

Regards

It would be conducive to discussion if you didn't keep trying to force Abrahamic definitions of things onto a non-Abrahamic religion. It's like watching a child trying to force a spherical block through a square hole; it just won't fit.

And where did Buddha ever 'prophesy' concerning the future?

Whether Zoroastrianism is a revealed religion or not is not really important. However I do think that Zoroastrianism played a strong role in spreading monotheism to the Near East. A lot of people speak of Judaism as an early monotheistic religion but historical sources seem to paint the picture a little differently. Some stories in the Bible are clearly borrowed elements from ancient Mesopotamian myths which happen to be polytheistic in origin.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It would be conducive to discussion if you didn't keep trying to force Abrahamic definitions of things onto a non-Abrahamic religion. It's like watching a child trying to force a spherical block through a square hole; it just won't fit.

And where did Buddha ever 'prophesy' concerning the future?
I did not mention of any Abrahamic definitions.
I want Zoroaster's perspective.
Zoroaster mentioned "prophet/s" in Gathas as well as in the Yasna several times , after all he would have mentioned it meaningfully. Similarly he mentioned revelation. My questions are about it to know as to what he did understand from them, exactly. I don't think it should injure anybody's feelings. I am sorry if anybody's feelings are injured.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure this:
is an Abrahamic definition of 'prophet'.

prophet
noun
1.a person who speaks for God or a deity, or by divine inspiration.
2.a person chosen to speak for God and to guide the people of Israel:
  1. Moses was the greatest of Old Testament prophets.
  2. (often initial capital letter) one of the Major or Minor Prophets.
  3. one of a band of ecstatic visionaries claiming divine inspiration and,according to popular belief, possessing magical powers.
  4. a person who practices divination.
3.one of a class of persons in the early church, next in order after theapostles, recognized as inspired to utter special revelations andpredictions. 1 Cor. 12:28.
4.the Prophet, Muhammad, the founder of Islam.
5.a person regarded as, or claiming to be, an inspired teacher or leader.
6.a person who foretells or predicts what is to come:
a weather prophet; prophets of doom.
7.a spokesperson of some doctrine, cause, or movement.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prophet

I had #1,5,6,7 in my mind.
I would like one to define "prophet" from the perspective of Zoroaster by quoting from Zoroaster, if possible, and also "revelation", please. No compulsion whatsoever. Peace be on all Zoroastrians.
Regards