• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your religion esoteric or exoteric, or both

amorphous_constellation

That gives things a layer of interest I think, if there is public level to spirituality and then more of an advanced level. My original inclination was that it should be as accessible as possible, but I'd be in denial of the spiritual challenges that religion lays before us

amorphous_constellation

The information is outwardly available in the Upanishads, but relatively few gain the understanding to become jivanmukti without the correct leadership or combination of the yogas.

Ok.. well for the sake of debate, would you say there in downside or tension that occurs with your religion having this esoteric element? Can the esoteric / exoteric mix get out of balance? How?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok.. well for the sake of debate, would you say there in downside or tension that occurs with your religion having this esoteric element?

None that I've seen.

Can the esoteric / exoteric mix get out of balance? How?

Here's a response you're not likely to see very often on RF, so you may want to have a seat before reading it...

I don't know.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
and is there any danger of the religious knowledge in your religion becoming consolidated by a small elect group?
My answer is that we've seen that happen over and over again in history and it could easily happen again.

Even in well established religions dominated by exoteric practices, the esoteric essence can be alive or revived. I would include figures such as St. Francis of Assisi, Baal Shem Tov, Rumi, Hafiz, Kabir, Ramana Maharshi and many others who lived an esoteric life while fully honoring the exoteric.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I suppose I'll ask you the same question I asked the others.. The obvious question, is how are these two elements kept in balance? Can one of them be over-enlarged?
There are pre-requisites to studying the esoteric parts of Judaism. We're warned to first become knowledgeable in the exoteric parts of Judaism before studying the esoteric parts. So I guess that's how they're kept in "balance". I don't think there's a case of one becoming over-enlarged. It's just an area of advanced study some Jewish people may be drawn to in addition to their regular study.

The worry is that people who aren't ready for it (or perhaps are unstable) may be drawn to it, and it does them no good. It's believed that the Sabbatai Zvi 'fiasco' was due to his not having been ready for that study. The result was European Rabbis further restricting the study to only those above a certain age (although that seems to have been relaxed in recent years).

amorphous_constellation

It's just an area of advanced study some Jewish people may be drawn to in addition to their regular study.

I see. I think it seems important if the esoteric domain is safeguarded by the challenges of gaining knowledge, otherwise it would be more about simple hierarchical power.. if the esoteric section is ancillary to the religion and not auxiliary, that is

The worry is that people who aren't ready for it (or perhaps are unstable) may be drawn to it, and it does them no good.

Indeed. I think that spirits in nature have the same message actually. This probably is similar in every tradition in which there is an esoteric section

Complexifying all of this however, is one abstract quality of religion: whereby the spirit in the religion sometimes seems to choose some to be esoteric and some to be exoteric.. This this seems be indicated in various traditions where the deity seems to do the 'initial communication.'

Last edited: