• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Your Phone Listening To You?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Of course.
There are times when my phone is not lit-up/active when when it hears some dialog from the TV, assumes a question is being asked, becomes active and tries to answer whatever it thought the question was.

So if you have a smart-phone, even when not technically active, it can hear what is being said near-by.
I haven't figured out the exact phrase to wake it but some phrase causes it to wake up from sleep mode.
Supposedly you can deactivate it, but must be on by default.
My partner's phone isn't a smartphone. So it doesn't activate itself or answer questions :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No. :)

I have a flip phone without internet capabilities.
I had one of those a long long time ago.
I made a wooden version for my kids to play with.
I'd use it for pretend conversations with tenants,
who had problems like falling into, & getting stuck
in the toilet.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Ok, but I'm only referring to bog standard phones.
Don't be fooled

Big Tech loves to collect your info; governments too. So each smartphone is made to be used for that

But, IMO, don't worry (yet) if you are just a random person (like me). They don't have the means yet to check all phones.

When 5G is fully operational then maybe they might be able to check all, though I don't think they will do that...it's not efficient, they better just check the ones they suspect

Of course they might check (already) each app on terrorism related words, but I would be highly surprised if they start to check 24/7 whatever each microphone "hears"

People like Snowden have to be careful. He made a YouTube on how to make sure Big Tech/Brother/etc can't "hear" you anymore

JIMMY12345

(whispers) Well, is it? And if it is, did you give it permission to?
Methinks it has the means to.However for any agency home or overseas to monitor even using key words and computers would require hard work and lots and lots of manpower.I think they would probably listen to important people.The likes of the Clinton's or IT giants like E Musks Team.
People on religious forums are to peaceful to bother about.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Methinks it has the means to.However for any agency home or overseas to monitor even using key words and computers would require hard work and lots and lots of manpower.I think they would probably listen to important people.The likes of the Clinton's or IT giants like E Musks Team.
People on religious forums are to peaceful to bother about.
I think it's done for advertising purposes. It just seems extremely odd how totally obscure words and phrases uttered seem to lead to related pop-up ads (not with my phone but my partner's).