• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Your Deity Self-Aware?

Is your deity self-aware?

• Yes

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Partially (explain)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I don't know!!

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don't have a deity

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Is the god, supreme being, creator, absolute, or whatever word you use in your religion or spirituality to describe your personal deity, self-aware? Is He/She/It sentient and capable of changing or influencing events in your life?

If can you answer yes to either or both of these questions, please share the personal truth that led you to believe that your god is self-aware. If you answer yes to the latter, if applicable, please share your role in soliciting these changes or influences, i.e. how you petition your god for these.

If your answer is no to both, please share your personal view on the influence, if any, your god has in your existence (not necessarily only in this "reality"). If there is no influence, I'd be interested to hear the purpose your god serves.

Also, if it's not listed in your profile, please share what religion you follow (if applicable).

idav

Being
Premium Member
I don't think god has any use for self awareness. That's only a useful tool for humans who have a very limited scope of here and now. I don't know, what would we call it if you are not just aware of yourself but also of everyone and everything?

For me believing in god and having faith allows me to utilize freewill otherwise I would be hindered by every material thing due to determinism. Tapping into the spiritual is where freedom any sort of freedom can be found. I like the Buddhist line thought in trying to break free of karma effects.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The state of God called by some Paratpar Paramatma may be considered "divine sleep". In the state of jivatma, all of us, God is not aware of being God because of veils that cover divine consciousness. In the state of Shivatma, the veils have dissolved and jivatma has become Shivatma, the state of divine consciousness.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I'm aware. Sadashiva tattva is eventually realized as Ishvara tattva which brings about Shiva-Shakti status in my religion. Therefore yes.

Edit: worth noting... shiva-shakti status makes one even more aware.

Which one?

This too.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The state of God called by some Paratpar Paramatma may be considered "divine sleep". In the state of jivatma, all of us, God is not aware of being God because of veils that cover divine consciousness. In the state of Shivatma, the veils have dissolved and jivatma has become Shivatma, the state of divine consciousness.

Is this based on a non-dual view where jivatma, atma, and paramatma are one and the same? Or am I missing your perspective entirely?

Liu

Some of the incarnate parts of the divine are self-aware, namely us humans and some other animals. Whether the divine as a whole is self-aware, I don't know. Kinda doubt it.
If there are spirits (i.e. deities) that exist without a body, I suppose they are self-aware.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Deity is the 'other side' of everything, it is what's behind the veil. As part of everything, we are not exempt from being deity.

So in your view, can deity itself be self-aware, or is the awareness a product of the 'everything' that is a part of it, i.e. humans, animals, etc? Is your view behind the veil dual or non-dual (do you consider your Self one with divinity or is the divine transcendent and separate)?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So in your view, can deity itself be self-aware, or is the awareness a product of the 'everything' that is a part of it, i.e. humans, animals, etc?
Deity is expressed in everything, even self-awareness. Nothing is exempted.

Is your view behind the veil dual or non-dual (do you consider your Self one with divinity or is the divine transcendent and separate)?
One doesn't view behind the veil, that's why it's a veil. One can, however, mentally grasp the veil and the consequences of what is behind it.

I'm not a practitioner of a non-dual religion, if that's what you're asking.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Deity is expressed in everything, even self-awareness. Nothing is exempted.

One doesn't view behind the veil, that's why it's a veil. One can, however, mentally grasp the veil and the consequences of what is behind it.

In your view, is there any point in one's existence where s/he can move beyond the veil, or is the veil a constant behind which one can never view?

I'm not a practitioner of a non-dual religion, if that's what you're asking.

Not at all. I'm just seeking to understand your views with regard to divinity.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm just seeking to understand your views with regard to divinity.
From what I can tell, I have an understanding of deity that is mainly Stoic, sort of Taoist, and generally just me. A person holds an ontological image of themselves as a part of, yet apart from, the world--a mental entity immersed in something that is not it. Deity is the flip-side of that ontological image of the world.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
From what I can tell, I have an understanding of deity that is mainly Stoic, sort of Taoist, and generally just me. A person holds an ontological image of themselves as a part of, yet apart from, the world--a mental entity immersed in something that is not it. Deity is the flip-side of that ontological image of the world.
You can add Temple of Set to that list...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Is this based on a non-dual view where jivatma, atma, and paramatma are one and the same? Or am I missing your perspective entirely?
All frames-of-reference are approximations. My post was from the perspective that there are differences between the states, in other words, a perspective of duality. From the perspective of unity, all those words are illusions as is our perception of differences.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
All frames-of-reference are approximations. My post was from the perspective that there are differences between the states, in other words, a perspective of duality. From the perspective of unity, all those words are illusions as is our perception of differences.

I can appreciate that those words, or any for that matter, are all a part of our illusions, but are the conscious conceptualizations behind them a part of the illusion as well? In your opinion, where does illusion stop and your Self and Absolute Reality begin?