• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is YHVH Equal To Brahma or Brahman?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Advaitin Hindus believe that Brahman does not have physical form but will take physical form when He needs to.

And I'm still trying to remember why I did (a little advatin humor there... ok, very little :D).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, that was a few minutes of my life I'll never get back. I feel so much more stupider now. o_O
It's very useful to know though, as it explains a lot about human behaviour. Sometimes I think we're pretty optimistically naive as to what other people actually believe.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Namaste Jainarayan-Ji,
Had already said in the conversation, there are a couple of places where Krishna points out to Arjuna that he should fight, as regardless everyone will be destroyed in the Mahapralaya anyway (11:32-33). :innocent:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Really feel sorry for any who find such divide...

There is only one Heaven, there is only one reality; with one being sustaining it, and you think books trying to explain it from different cultures are so far apart, they're talking about completely different realities, and then claim that to be the most logical. :rolleyes:

It is like when the Day of the Lord (Mahapralaya) happens, and you're like you're not the God i followed in my book. :oops:

Wake up, there is only One. :innocent:
I beg to differ and this sounds an awful lot like preaching, which is banned here.

wizanda

Premium Member
I beg to differ and this sounds an awful lot like preaching, which is banned here.
Nope it wasn't preaching, it is questioning the facts, based upon the majority of eschatology texts globally....Curious where you beg to differ? :)

Muffled

Jesus in me
That is a grossly distorted and horribly misunderstood idea of who and what Shiva is, and that his function is wholesale and wanton destruction and/or punishment.
I believe I have to admit I don't know much and have gone by the way I have seen him depicted. I looked him up on Wikipedia and he is depicted there with a snake and a trident which in Christian circles makes him more like the Devil. However it did say some nice things about him and I wonder if Hinduism hasn't conflated their images a bit.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I'm not aware of Shiva ever doing this sort of thing. Where did you read it or hear it?
I believe it may have been a Hindu site. I believe it as gone defunct because of warring factions but that was after they had decided that they were a Hindu site so Christians were persona non grata.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Wake up, there is only One. :innocent:
One God is just as fictitious as a hundred Gods and Goddesses.
Krishna points out to Arjuna that he should fight, as regardless everyone will be destroyed in the Mahapralaya anyway (11:32-33). :innocent:
Oh, yes, Arjuna should fight for Dharma. Then some pep talk from Krishna. To read Gita is one thing and to understand its deeper meaning is another.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. but that was after they had decided that they were a Hindu site so Christians were persona non grata.
There can be many reasons why a Christian was a persona non-grata.
.. he is depicted there with a snake and a trident which in Christian circles makes him more like the Devil. However it did say some nice things about him and I wonder if Hinduism hasn't conflated their images a bit.
Yeah, they do. Any problem there? It is their God (or Goddess). Don't the Christians too do that?

shiva-animation-shivaratri-sboi.gif

ChristtheKing-672x372.jpg

Any different? Why should what Christians think be relevant to a Hindu?

Last edited:

wizanda

Premium Member
One God is just as fictitious as a hundred Gods and Goddesses.
Having had first hand experience, there is only one CPU manifesting this reality we exist within....

What is fictitious is the many anthropomorphized stories we've got globally, that are very limited in comparison.
To read Gita is one thing and to understand its deeper meaning is another.
Tell me about it, the first translator decided to translate the name of Brahman into God, even used the Biblical word Mammon....

Thus had to find another translation resource, where could actually check the Sanskrit to get all the deeper meanings, and references. :innocent:

Bhagavad Gita, The Song of God – Swami Mukundananda

Muffled

Jesus in me
There can be many reasons why a Christian was a persona non-grata.Yeah, they do. Any problem there? It is their God (or Goddess). Why should what Christians think be relevant to a Hindu?

I believe that is true but it may well be that Hindus can't really defend their religion in a debate so have to isolate themselves from the truth. (The monkey with hands over its eyes and ears)

I believe Hindus ought to be interested in the truth even if it differs from their understanding of things. After all I don't go yuck , pizza is bad because it comes from Italians and I am not Italian.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Having had first hand experience, there is only one CPU manifesting this reality we exist within ..
NDE is like a dream created by excess Carbon-di-oxide in the brain. You take it as truth.

Swami Muktananda is a theist. I have a different take on it. Gita is a dramatization. So Krishna is telling Arjuna that he has already killed his enemies and Arjuna should go fearlessly in the war since his duty is to fight. He should fulfill his duty. As I said it was a pep talk by Krishna.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I believe that is true but it may well be that Hindus can't really defend their religion in a debate so have to isolate themselves from the truth. (The monkey with hands over its eyes and ears)

I believe Hindus ought to be interested in the truth even if it differs from their understanding of things. After all I don't go yuck , pizza is bad because it comes from Italians and I am not Italian.
Try me.

We have the truth. We do not need any help.

wizanda

Premium Member
You take it as truth.
If it wasn't that the things i learned in the experience were outside of my knowledge, and beyond our scientific understanding, I wouldn't take it as truth; yet having examined numerous other accounts, checked many religious texts globally, I've checked the evidence to validate it. :innocent:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I believe I have to admit I don't know much and have gone by the way I have seen him depicted. I looked him up on Wikipedia and he is depicted there with a snake and a trident which in Christian circles makes him more like the Devil. However it did say some nice things about him and I wonder if Hinduism hasn't conflated their images a bit.

I don't think we've confused it, but that there are just a lot of differing schools, not just with Hinduism, but within Saivism (the large sect that worships Siva as Supreme, or calls God Siva) itself. The trident and snake misunderstanding is really common, so welcome to the crowd.

Personally, I don't get insulted by little misunderstandings like that. It's understandable. Its only after we've explained it as well as we can, and the person still holds to their ideas stubbornly does it get more annoying. In the reverse situation, I know very very little about your faith, so if i started spouting off like some expert, you'd have every right to get upset or annoyed with me.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You think NDE to be beyond science, I don't. It is brain's response to the accumulation of Carbon-di-oxide/Carbon-mono-oxide. It makes death a less unpleasant experience. It is a product of evolution. I think it happens in other animals also, though science has not yet proved it. For example, when a deer's jugular is severed by a lion.

wizanda

Premium Member
You think NDE to be beyond science, I don't.
That isn't true; I've looked at the NDE studies done by NASA, their account of it, was that people had a similar experience to a NDE; yet not exactly the same, as within most people's NDE accounts, there is a clear line to it....

Within their accounts of spinning people until they nearly lose consciousness, due to lack of blood to the brain, it caused incoherent thought, that didn't have a clear line. ;)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Everything that the Gods are depicted with are highly symbolic. But in Hinduism, snakes and tridents are not given the same meaning as in Abrahamic religions. Snakes are not 'evil', though in the Bible, the Devil decided to take that form. His choice should not be taken to mean that snakes are inherently evil.

Shiva is associated with the role of 'destruction'. This is not to mean he goes around killing. Everything in material nature has a life cycle. There is birth, maturity, and death. Death is necessary for the renewal of life. Therefore Shiva represents the bringing of the end in order to create a path for life. Shiva is known for being generous, kind and generally peaceful.

I hope that makes sense.