• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Yahweh a narcissist?

Is Yahweh a narcissist?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I love Yahweh, I just find he makes poor choices, is a mass murderer, a Dictator, is extremely obsessed with himself, and extremely jealous when people turn to another Deity.

How could you argue he isn't narcissistic?...he destroys people and damns them to hell for not worshipping him. That sounds narcissistic to the core!

Hmmm could be your thinking of the wrong god?

YHWH is not short hand for Yahweh. YHWH is the tetragammaton for Jehovah in English which should sound more familar to you.

You are talking about Yahweh, the false god of the Canaanites. They are known to try to emulate Jewish people and traditions, and to try and pervert the word of Jehovah as evidenced by your OP. You have been decieved brother.

That considered. Yes, Yehweh is a narcissist. :D

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Hmmm could be your thinking of the wrong god?

YHWH is not short hand for Yahweh. YHWH is the tetragammaton for Jehovah in English which should sound more familar to you.

You are talking about Yahweh, the false god of the Canaanites. They are known to try to emulate Jewish people and traditions, and to try and pervert the word of Jehovah as evidenced by your OP. You have been decieved brother.

That considered. Yes, Yehweh is a narcissist. :D
Yahweh=Jehovah. Jehovah is just a bad Anglicization.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't think of Yahweh as a narcissist so much as I think of him as modeled (probably unconsciously) on what we would today call "an abusive father figure".

Now, if you look at the perilous, uncertain lives of the people who created him, I think you can see how an abusive father figure might appeal to them as a metaphor for an intervening deity.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Incorrect:

Yahweh - Wikipedia

Tetragrammaton - Wikipedia

They are 2 entirely different entities. Notice Yahweh does not show up under the 7 names of God. Also notice how their is a link in Yahweh to re-direct you to the tetragrammaton so that you can easily compare and see the difference.
Yahweh is just a transliteration of YHWH. They do pertain to the same deity. I'm unaware of any scholarly claims to the contrary.

Enoch07

Premium Member
What in the world are you talking about? The Jews were originally Canaanites and their god is a composite of various deities.

How the Jews invented God, and made him great
El (deity) - Wikipedia
Yahweh - Wikipedia

Yahweh might be.

But Yahweh is not listed under the 7 names of God.

Names of God in Judaism - Wikipedia

Seven Names of God
The seven names of God that, once written, cannot be erased because of their holiness[5] are the Tetragrammaton, El, Elohim, Eloah, Elohai, El Shaddai, and Tzevaot.[6] In addition, the name Jah—because it forms part of the Tetragrammaton—is similarly protected.[6] Rabbi Jose considered "Tzevaot" a common name[7] and Rabbi Ishmael that "Elohim" was.[8] All other names, such as "Merciful", "Gracious" and "Faithful", merely represent attributes that are also common to human beings.[9]

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yahweh might be.

But Yahweh is not listed under the 7 names of God.

Names of God in Judaism - Wikipedia

Seven Names of God
The seven names of God that, once written, cannot be erased because of their holiness[5] are the Tetragrammaton, El, Elohim, Eloah, Elohai, El Shaddai, and Tzevaot.[6] In addition, the name Jah—because it forms part of the Tetragrammaton—is similarly protected.[6] Rabbi Jose considered "Tzevaot" a common name[7] and Rabbi Ishmael that "Elohim" was.[8] All other names, such as "Merciful", "Gracious" and "Faithful", merely represent attributes that are also common to human beings.[9]
I've heard Yahweh used in Christian hymns and liturgies

Yah·weh
ˈyäˌwā/
noun
  1. a form of the Hebrew name of God used in the Bible. The name came to be regarded by Jews ( c. 300 BC) as too sacred to be spoken
You have been corrected and proven wrong multiple times Enoch. Give it a rest! :)

Enoch07

Premium Member
Its a common misconception. Don't
I've heard Yahweh used in Christian hymns and liturgies

Yah·weh
ˈyäˌwā/
noun
  1. a form of the Hebrew name of God used in the Bible. The name came to be regarded by Jews ( c. 300 BC) as too sacred to be spoken
You have been corrected and proven wrong multiple times Enoch. Give it a rest! :)

Show your source?

I am not worried. Truth backs me up. :D

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I don't think of Yahweh as a narcissist so much as I think of him as modeled (probably unconsciously) on what we would today call "an abusive father figure".

Now, if you look at the perilous, uncertain lives of the people who created him, I think you can see how an abusive father figure might appeal to them as a metaphor for an intervening deity.
Yes, abusive Father works.

I still find it narcissistic that he destroys people for not worshipping him...how much more full of oneself can one get?

Deidre

He drowned a lot of people in the flood...he killed people with plagues, fire, and brimstone...he ordered his followers to commit genocide
How do you know God did that, and that wasn't how people interpreted natural disasters and tragedies back then? Today, there are some religious zealots who mistakenly say those things though ''God made that hurricane happen because of ...'' So, the OT seemed like people thought things about God that weren't necessarily objective. It seemed like it was their observations of how to explain things they didn't understand. The NT, Jesus steps in, and he represented something very different, don't you think?

Enoch07

Premium Member
Dude, your Tetragrammaton link literally says that Yahweh is probably the most accurate rendering of the Tetragrammaton.

Tetragrammaton - Wikipedia

It says that Yahweh is the closest English pronunciation of YHWH. Not that it is the correct translation. This is partly where the confusion comes from.

I assure you these are 2 different entities.