• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Xmas offensive?

Akivah

I was brought up using the word "Xmas" for Christmas. It seemed to be common usage even among Christians that I knew. I was recently made aware that some Christians don't like the word. So what's the consensus among Christians, is Xmas an offensive word?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
No. You could probably call it anything you wanted and I wouldn't be offended, in most cases.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I know it offends some people. They see it as "x-ing out" Jesus.

Most of them probably don't realize that Christmas was invented centuries later to compete with the fun those pagans were having at Yuletide. Decorating trees, giving gifts, parties and feasts, so they plopped a made up birthday down right as Yuletide was winding down.

And that's the Reason for the Season.

Tom

Simplelogic

Well. Its definitely not Biblical. Fir trees have been worshipped in many civilizations as everlasting fertility symbols. They were also decorated with gold and silver balls. Many believe Jeremiah spoke out against setting up fir trees. This custom was always observed around the winter solstice festival (late Dec).

1Hear the word which the LORD speaks to you, O house of Israel.
2Thus says the LORD,
Do not learn the way of the nations,
And do not be terrified by the signs of the heavens (Babylonia sun worship)
Although the nations are terrified by them;

3For the customs of the peoples are delusion;
Because it is wood cut from the forest,
The work of the hands of a craftsman with a cutting tool.

4“They decorate it with silver and with gold;
They fasten it with nails and with hammers
So that it will not totter
. Jeremiah 10

Then we have another interesting verse which speaks of the final destruction of Babylon. Look what happens to the fir trees afterwards:

4that you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon, and say,
“How the oppressor has ceased,
And how fury has ceased!

5“The LORD has broken the staff of the wicked (Babylon),
The scepter of rulers

6Which used to strike the peoples in fury with unceasing strokes,
Which subdued the nations in anger with unrestrained persecution.

7“The whole earth is at rest and is quiet;
They break forth into shouts of joy.

8“Even the cypress trees rejoice over you, and the cedars of Lebanon (fir trees), saying,
Since you (Babylon) were laid low, no tree cutter comes up against us.’ Isaiah 14

Simplelogic

My apologies. I didn't realize that the OP was regarding the difference between the term Xmas and Christmas. Disregard my post above.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No. The "X" means "Christ", according to my research.
Aye, that's a reason I stick with it.
I'm not a Xian, but I want to be semi-civil.

Edit:
I don't know what color this forum is, so I'm take'n me chances.

Last edited:

4consideration

Premium Member
I have known people to be very offended by it. The reason I've heard is similar to what was already mentioned, that it takes "Christ" out of Christmas.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You know what something is I like about being a small proprietor? I don't have to walmartize holiday greetings. I can say "Merry Christmas" to anyone I want. And I know my customers well enough to know what to say to most of them. Joan V is Jewish, I don't say it to her. Actually she and I giggle about it.
Other customers, who I know to be Christian, sometimes seem surprised to get Merry Christmas, because most places are too afraid of offending someone to allow it. I like knowing my clientele well enough to know what to say and being free to say it.

Tom

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
From wikipedia:

"Xmas is a common abbreviation of the wordChristmas . It is sometimes pronounced/ˈɛksməs/, but it, and variants such asXtemass, originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation/ˈkrɪsməs/. The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for Mass,[1] while the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστόςwhich comes into English as "Christ".[2]

There is a common misconception that the word Xmas stems from a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas[3] by taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas", but its use dates back to the 16th century.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Mmm, I meant literally. Christmas has nothing to do with Christ, Jesus.
It's a pagan holiday and not to mention that Jesus wasn't even born in December.
Sure. But Yeshua was inserted into it at some point. Even when my family had no religion, when I was a little child, my mother would always read from Luke Chapter 2. But, you're right, a lot of the things of Christmas are actually from the Yule celebration.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I was brought up using the word "Xmas" for Christmas. It seemed to be common usage even among Christians that I knew. I was recently made aware that some Christians don't like the word. So what's the consensus among Christians, is Xmas an offensive word?
it was once pointed out to me that the X indicates that is is a a 'mass without Christ' which is quite true.

so i prefer it to be labelled as xmas because the celebration has nothing to do with Jesus and I think its great that many people are willing to recognise that fact.

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Always thought it was just an abbreviation.

Edit:
I don't know what color this forum is, so I'm take'n me chances.

I had this problem the other day. I can't find the rules to read them and there is no color to this section, and the latter made me miss even looking at the name of the section. However, when you and I agreed to the terms of service (or whatever it's called) in the registration process, it covered the rules found on the old RF... the old RF you broke, remember? :)

Soooo you're guilty :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I had this problem the other day. I can't find the rules to read them and there is no color to this section, and the latter made me miss even looking at the name of the section. However, when you and I agreed to the terms of service (or whatever it's called) in the registration process, it covered the rules found on the old RF... the old RF you broke, remember? :)

Soooo you're guilty :D
If the DIR were green, then I'm in the clear.
If it's blue, then I'm on thin ice with my respectful commentary instead of questions.
But you don't know the color or have access to the rules, so you're SOL, bub!

But I know to stay away from the Feminist DIR......they'll have no truck with those who favor gender equality, but don't blame the "patriarchy".....& they draw blood!