• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is witchcraft a faith that deserves respect?

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
Nevertheless, it was a phrase I borrowed from an Italian anthropologist, Cecilia Gatto Trocchi with whom I identify a lot. She's a secularist like me. A rationalist like me. A fan of French Enlightenment like me.

Well...she basically says that certain beliefs, since Enlightenment took place, don't deserve respect..and tolerating them is an insult to the values of the European Civilization.

Sorcery or Witchcraft is a way to seek help from Super Creatures and to help you make sacrifices

These sacrifices make you witness that you worship this power (Super Creatures) and ignore the God who created you and who created you this power (Super Creatures)

We believe that we ask to pray to God and legally use others without reaching a stage to worship them in order to help me. This is an exploitation of the needy.

Imagine that there is a poor person who wants to help and says I will help you on the condition that you worship me or on condition that you make me have sex with your wife or sister

All these dirty things are required in sorcery

It is possible that there will be an exchange of experiences between you and super creatures such as King Solomon

Solomon did not sacrifice offerings, but God Almighty made them subject to Solomon and many believe that the Prophet Solomon was a witch

Magic symbols have semantics

For example, you are completely submissive to this power, which means you are not submissive to God

Last edited by a moderator:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I like the scene at 1:21:00 when they rescue a "witch" from the stakes
from "The Black Arrow"

Jumi

You mean Catholicism isn't witchcraft? ;) As for the Italian debate, ei riitä kielitaito.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Indeed...believing in witchcraft kinda justifies the murderers of the Holy Inquisition and the Salem witch trials...because they believed in that stuff too, so there was no difference between perpetrator and victim

How does witchcraft justify murder?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Catholics believe in evolution...
is that magic?

I am not talking evolution as is easily seen from my use of void, as described in the bible for creation.

And not all catholics believe evolution. I know i have had serious head shaking with catholics who have literal biblical beliefs

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Nevertheless, it was a phrase I borrowed from an Italian anthropologist, Cecilia Gatto Trocchi with whom I identify a lot. She's a secularist like me. A rationalist like me. A fan of French Enlightenment like me.

Well...she basically says that certain beliefs, since Enlightenment took place, don't deserve respect..and tolerating them is an insult to the values of the European Civilization.

It's only in Italian caps. To answer your title, yes. Why not? What does witchcraft do that other religions do not outside of history?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you give me a definition of witchcraft I can answer

Actually, the word is so buffed up, I don't know. What I'm familiar with is different home practices that are seen as superstitious. Others are purely cultural practices. I think the idea of why it's witchcraft is no one is praying to the Christian god in a way Catholics should. I mean, take US down south. People practice witchcraft all the time, but they don't see it as such since it's old school stuff. Many still believe in god just they aren't othorodox in how they worship him.

As magic, etc. I don't agree it's a witchcraft thing. It's foreign and people put it down cause we live in a christian environment that we say whoever prays to anyone but god is doing witchcraft. And say the prayers get answered. Burn um, to the stake!

I don't know. I have some family that practice but I wouldn't use witchcraft since it's not eureopean in nature.

Gulo

I don't think anyone is hanging witches anymore. (Well looked that up and apparently some countries still do that, but not here) No one wants to target them with scorn or discrimination for their beliefs. You can believe the clouds are marshmallows and the moon is made of cheese. The big problem is when a fantasy belief is debunked by modern science and the believers try to hold up their belief as something equal to science. In my example a spell of protection and speed on a craft designed to carry you to the moon as opposed to a team of engineers.
Many religifieds will still try to destroy you if you don't mirror their exact belief system though...to this day. Their religions are likely just brainwashing, and they may employ techniques like the E German Stazi used to...gaslighting, mob bullying, gangstalking, social destruction through rumors, villifying, intimidation, social shunning, financial sabotage through livelihood destruction, etc. If you're not like them, or even if you ARE but you won't bend to them, they'll try to ruin you and everybody that you care about. They'll try to destroy and/or turn your whole social support network. Then they'll come for you.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Also people don't know their history. Witches used to be put to death and now we are like fine be a witch or a warlock and cast your spells and do your rituals and pretend to be whatever you want.

I'm not sure who 'we' is, but in some parts of the world witch burning is very real and quite common.
I lived in such an area for a while. Witch hunts affected many women every year (hundreds).

History is trickier than you think, maybe.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed...believing in witchcraft kinda justifies the murderers of the Holy Inquisition and the Salem witch trials...because they believed in that stuff too, so there was no difference between perpetrator and victim

Wait...you think the people burned in witch trials actually were witches (in terms of their beliefs)? I'm sure some were, but the majority were not.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Wait...you think the people burned in witch trials actually were witches (in terms of their beliefs)? I'm sure some were, but the majority were not.
What I meant is that if those people had been intelligent enough to understand magic doesn't exist, many "witches " wouldn't have been killed

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What I meant is that if those people had been intelligent enough to understand magic doesn't exist, many "witches " wouldn't have been killed

There's certainly some truth to that. But if they were 'intelligent' enough to understand fair court proceedings, mob hysteria and/or mistreatment of outsiders, you could say the same.