• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Wicca evil?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
From another thread, a well known member stated that Wicca was evil. I myself find just the opposite. I find Wiccans to be, as a whole, more open minded, less judgemental, more loving, more "Christ like" then alot of Christians, less bigoted. How could this be evil?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
If Christ is good, then going to a Christian church would mead you to being a good person, if you follow Christ's word. So in that same sense, if you follow Wicca, which was said to be evil, would that not lead you to become evil?

gnostic

The Lost One
I certainly don't think so.

Often Christians accuse people or another religion of evil, because of their own insecurity and ignorance. This ignorance often lead to bigotry and then persecution. Until Christians stopped using the "evil" argument and spark another witch-hunt, they would realise that they don't need to fear Wicca at all.

It is nonsense to say that Wicca are followers of the devil. If they look closer to the mirror, then they will see that they themselves are nothing more than "wolf in sheep clothing", when they persecute others with this "evil business".

FFH

Veteran Member
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hebrew Bible Matrix [/FONT]
(Bible Code)

Wicca.gif

Wicca-rep.gif

Wicca - A polytheistic Neo-Pagan nature religion inspired by pre-Christian western European beliefs, whose central deity is a mother goddess and which includes the use of herbal magic and benign witchcraft.​

Jeff said:
How could this be evil?

Witchcraft and magic are tools that our adversary uses to show forth his power.​

We must do all things in the name of Jesus Christ. It is only by his power and authority that we perform miracles, if we are to call ourselves Christian.​

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FFH said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hebrew Bible Matrix [/FONT]

(Bible Code)

Wicca.gif

Wicca-rep.gif

Wicca - A polytheistic Neo-Pagan nature religion inspired by pre-Christian western European beliefs, whose central deity is a mother goddess and which includes the use of herbal magic and benign witchcraft.​

Witchcraft and magic are tools that our adversary uses to show forth his power.​

We must do all things in the name of Jesus Christ. It is only by his power and authority that we perform miracles, if we are to call ourselves Christian.​
Witchcraft and magic are tools that our adversary uses to show forth his power.

I couldn't agree with you more; but a wiccan has the choice (as all of us do to practice good, in God's name, or to do an evil deed).

There is noting evil per se in wicca. Most of the wiccans I know on this forum only wish to do good; I personally, as a Christian, do faith healing. When I do so, I make it clear that I am asking and allowing God to use me as an intermediary, to give me the healing powers to help another.

The whole point of what is evil and what is good is dependent on the motive of the person. A priest can have an evil motive, and pretend to be using God's gifts, just as he can genuinely want to help someone, the same applies to any religion.​

FFH

Veteran Member
jeffrey said:
So faith, do you believe that Wicca and Wiccans are evil? Yes or no.
Romans 3: 23

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Matthew 19: 17

Jesus said,

Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

FFH

Veteran Member
jeffrey said:
So faith, do you believe that Wicca and Wiccans are evil? Yes or no.
According to Jesus Christ there is none good but God, so that leaves only one other choice, that being evil.

Thank God for Jesus Christ's sacrifice on our behalf, otherwise we would all be hell bound for eternity, with no way out.

Karl R

Christians have two central ethical rules for how they treat others:
  • Love others as you love yourself.
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Wiccans have two central ethical rules for how they treat others:
  • An that it harm none, do what thou wilt.
  • The Law of threefold return: (paraphrased) whatever evil you do will come back upon you threefold; whatever good you do will come back upon you threefold.
The net effect of both these ethical rules is nearly identical to christian beliefs. Wiccans are strongly motivated to do good for others and not do evil to others.

FFH said:
We must do all things in the name of Jesus Christ. It is only by his power and authority that we perform miracles, if we are to call ourselves Christian.
Would you say it is evil for a jew to pray, heal, and do miracles in the name of YHWH? Or would you say that it's a good thing for them to do so, even though they aren't christian.

Would you say it is evil for a muslim to pray, heal, and do miracles in the name of allah? Or would you say that it's a good thing for them to do so, even though they aren't christian?

FFH said:
Witchcraft and magic are tools that our adversary uses to show forth his power.

I've read books on witchcraft and magic. Based on the descriptions in the book, witchcraft and magic are ritualized prayers. The types of ritual actions they perform while praying differ little from what a roman catholic or orthodox christian might perform. The books explicitly stated that the actual power for the ritual comes from the goddess (just as the power comes from god when I pray).​

Is it evil to use ritual elements (like candles and incense) as part of your prayers? Or is it evil because you believe these prayers are directed toward the adversary?​

FFH said:
Wicca - A polytheistic Neo-Pagan nature religion inspired by pre-Christian western European beliefs, whose central deity is a mother goddess and which includes the use of herbal magic and benign witchcraft.
It's been my opinion that the god christians worship is the same god that wiccans and pagans worship. This may seem like a strange claim to make of polytheists, but I was recently discussing the subject with a pagan friend. This was her response (copied from an e-mail):
NMR said:
Most polytheists I know (myself included) would agree that all the Gods and Goddesses are part of who we call the Lord and the Lady who are themselves part of something greater.
In my opinion, that "something greater" is the same god I worship.

The central core of ethics for christianity and wicca are remarkably similar. They pray, like we do. I think they even pray to the same god. I see nothing evil about it.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
So, how can something be evil that only shows love and compassion for God's earth? Since, as I was told once, all power comes from God, if a Wiccan heals someone, how could that not be from God? And most Wiccans I know don't believe in "The Devil"

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
jeffrey said:
So, how can something be evil that only shows love and compassion for God's earth? Since, as I was told once, all power comes from God, if a Wiccan heals someone, how could that not be from God? And most Wiccans I know don't believe in "The Devil"
Exactly.

Jesus was once accused of using the power of Beezebub to cast out demons, but he informed his accusers of the obvious - that evil would not destroy other evil, only good can.

Therefore it should be obvious to anyone that the love, compassion and good will that Wicca instills in people can come only from the good.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Halcyon said:
Exactly.

Jesus was once accused of using the power of Beezebub to cast out demons, but he informed his accusers of the obvious - that evil would not destroy other evil, only good can.

Therefore it should be obvious to anyone that the love, compassion and good will that Wicca instills in people can come only from the good.

I agree, but I would add that I believe that the true healer always tells the person he is healing that the power of healing is God's; to heal as though I was the source from whence the healing power came, I would call being dishonest.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Halcyon, excellent! Owe you frubals! Says I've passed to many out. :( Should have some more soon!

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
First of all I want to clear up what the Bible says. The word witchcraft is translated from the Greek word Pharmakeia:
  1. the use or the administering of drugs
  2. poisoning
  3. sorcery, magical arts, often found in connection with idolatry and fostered by it
  4. metaph. the deceptions and seductions of idolatry
Next I'd like to do a little compairing myself:

witchcraft . . . . . . . . . .catholic
lights candles . . . . . . . lights candles
burns incense . . . . . . . burns incense
cast spells . . . . . . . . . says prayer

Some christian churches speak in tongues, or do hands on healing, and some do that snake handling thing. All these are compairable to witchcraft as well. The danger of Wicca is being able to keep the ego in check, and therefore ultilmately creating their own demise. But this is the same danger that a christian faces, or a muslim, or a buddhist.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
michel said:
I agree, but I would add that I believe that the true healer always tells the person he is healing that the power of healing is God's; to heal as though I was the source from whence the healing power came, I would call being dishonest.
I don't disagree, but why do you feel it's necessary?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Great points, ES! And in the book of Acts, did not Peter "Cast a spell" that killed 2 people for not giving everything?

evearael

There is nothing evil about Wicca. However, there are a small group of people who call themselves Wiccan, when in fact they only follow the Rede when it is convenient to them, are generally ignorant of the faith, and are often the antithesis of what a legitimate Wiccan should be. All faiths have this issue. Also, Michel, most Wiccans I've know don't claim the healing they channel to be their own, but their Deity's, and ask permission first.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jeffrey said:
I don't disagree, but why do you feel it's necessary?

I personally feel it is necessary because it is God's 'power'. To use it and try and pass myself off as the 'healer' would be moral plagiarism.