• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is/Was Your Job Physically Demanding or Painful?

Viker

Häxan
The most physically demanding job was with Target. I was an overnight executive then and didn't really need to do labor but I did anyways. I could've sat back and just barked out orders. Now, my back regrets me not being a normal retail executive, like I was supposed to be.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
How'd you end up figuring it was broken?

I'm not 100% sure it was, but my wife checked it out (trained nurse) and she figured I'd either damaged the joint pretty badly, or had cracked the bone based on the bruising, and location of the pain, etc.
And she could sort of predict how it would heal based on that.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Out of curiosity, I was reading today about the life of pro wrestlers and how they cope with the physicality of their sport. Many of them frequently use painkillers, have trouble sleeping, and experience worsened physical pain after retirement.

Is/was your job a physically demanding or painful one? If yes, how do/did you cope with it?

None of my jobs were physically demanding. My original Air Force job would have been out in the field repairing satellite equipment, but I retrained to mainframe computer operations. The former would have been pretty demanding I would think but I don't know. My last paid job was in a nursing home, but it was in the Social Services department, so not dealing with resident care, just talking to them. My last job was mom of an active boy, and I got some bumps and bruises with that, but I guess that's just part of the job.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yeah, I have a medical pension, and all of my medical care will be covered by the govt for life. It's a decent setup, for 10 years worth of agreeing to be the govts *****.

I'm going to say this and leave it at that.
I know a fella who was in the military, a marine, in the 60's. Never left the states. Did all his time(4 years) in DC working on the white house helicopter(s).
He is 81 years old now and 10 years ago his hearing stated deteriorating.
He blamed the military and has since been drawing a decent monthly check on top of his civilian retirement.

Edit..
Or another younger fella I know that draws a check for a bad back and knees from being in the airborne. Yet he does MMA fighting.

With that said many veterans play the system to get a check. I know several

As Forest Gump said.."that's all I have to say about that".

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I'm going to say this and leave it at that.
I know a fella who was in the military, a marine, in the 60's. Never left the states. Did all his time(4 years) in DC working on the white house helicopter(s).
He is 81 years old now and 10 years ago his hearing stated deteriorating.
He blamed the military and has since been drawing a decent monthly check on top of his civilian retirement.

With that said many veterans play the system to get a check. I know several

As Forest Gump said.."that's all I have to say about that".

It's less common then you think. Also, very likely his hearing was deteriorated thanks to his work on helicopters.

My hearing is shot from weapons firing (not even outside of target practice).

One of my coverages is for something that wasn't even caused by the military, but was certainly exacerbated by it. (apnea). The thing is is when you sign that blank check when you join, the military thoroughly medically vets you (less then 2% of the pop. Could make it), whatever you leave the military with, they are relegated to cover.

We Never Know

No Slack
It's less common then you think. Also, very likely his hearing was deteriorated thanks to his work on helicopters.

My hearing is shot from weapons firing (not even outside of target practice).

One of my coverages is for something that wasn't even caused by the military, but was certainly exacerbated by it. (apnea). The thing is is when you sign that blank check when you join, the military thoroughly medically vets you (less then 2% of the pop. Could make it), whatever you leave the military with, they are relegated to cover.

I edited my post.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I edited my post.

Depends on how bad his back and knees are. If he is only collecting 10-20% from each. It doesn't dq him from doing other activities, MMA or not.

(I collect 20% for my feet/ankles, but I can bike/hike/swim/run [physical activity is recommended by the VA]).

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
*thinks out loud* I am finding that people seem to have a very skewed perception of what being disabled, or having a disability means.

We Never Know

No Slack
*thinks out loud* I am finding that people seem to have a very skewed perception of what being disabled, or having a disability means.

"Thinks out loud"

75% disabled knees and back doesn't leave MMA as an full time option.

100% disabled back doesn't leave breaking horses as a full time option.

60% disabled knees doesn't leave rock climber/guide as a full time option

If your hearing goes bad 50 years after being in the miltary when your in your 70's, its probably old age.

But to each his own.

Have a good one bud.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
"Thinks out loud"

75% disabled knees and back doesn't leave MMA as an full time option. I don't see why not

100% disabled back doesn't leave breaking horses as a full time option. Maybe

60% disabled knees doesn't leave rock climber/guide as a full time option. You'd be surprised

If your hearing goes bad 50 years after being in the miltary when your in your 70's, its probably old age. Depends on how fast and bad, and his previous occupation, and military med record.

But to each his own.

Have a good one bud.

Disabled doesn't mean invalid. 100% on anything doesn't mean your completely unable to do particular activities.

It's pretty damn hard to fool 5-6 doctors.

You have a good day too.... Bud.

Edit: this is the same argument I hear about "welfare moms"

Yeah it happens. But the percentage is tiny.

Edit 2: bolded some stuff in the quotes.

PureX

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity, I was reading today about the life of pro wrestlers and how they cope with the physicality of their sport. Many of them frequently use painkillers, have trouble sleeping, and experience worsened physical pain after retirement.

Is/was your job a physically demanding or painful one? If yes, how do/did you cope with it?
Sometimes. Tylenol.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My job was physically sedentary with bucket loads of mental effort. However, since giving up working for a living I'm raising 3 children, that is no easy task.

amorphous_constellation

I am a third shift material handler / forklift operator / mechanic. So my job could be doing a lot of different things, all of them requiring focus and physical stamina.

I think I have pulled muscles before in my 20's, in my back a bunch of times, but now I don't do that anymore in my 30's. Some subconscious force stops me from lifting too much now

A couple years ago, I was trying to clean all of the ancient presses, and I think I touched some heavy duty oil, which I think sunk into my left hand, mostly. I don't know for sure, however. In any case, my hand felt stiff/slower than normal for a long time, and I think it's finally mostly back to normal now. I should have used gloves, my fault

So to deal with it, instead of painkillers and alcohol, I have been doing a couple things that are controversial - breathing meditation, and cold exposure. These two things I have doing for almost a year now

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My boss causes all my own physical maladies.
(Tis a downside of self employment.)
Busy days either landscaping or moving machinery
mean Ibuprofen to avoid leg & hand cramps. Oh,
there's the issue of bleeding all over the place due
to frequent jabs from sharp thingies.

On the whole, though...I've no real complaint.
Just trying to fit into the thread.

Edit...
When younger & dumber, I had some demanding
jobs, eg, moving furniture, unloading lumber from
boxcars. But that was actually fun back in the day.

Last edited:

pearl

As a CNA working in a nursing home for 13 years and then for visiting nurses home visits and finally for hospice (18 years) patients there is both physical stress and emotional stress. But all things taken into account, now at 80 really have little to complain about except being careful with the back.
My husband, (86) was a mechanic and developed tinnitus and bad knees.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The PT aspect of the job isn't as physically demanding as the massage therapy aspect. I've been a lmt for 17 years now and you really have to pay attention to your body's signals, body mechanics and self care or you burn out very fast. I've scaled back a lot over the years how many hours of massage I do.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Yes... I have arthritis in my neck, often pains in my wrists. . sometimes numbness. And I'm still doing it .. retirement is really not an option. Mostly I just live with it because I like what I do.