• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is voting an act of aggression?

Is voting an act of aggression?

• Yes

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I am of the opinion that voting is an act of aggression, hence why I don’t vote.
You are using armed force (via the state) to implement your will upon others within a geographical region.
Is this not true?
“If you don’t vote, you can’t complain!” Is the old saying, but I say “If you vote, you can’t complain!”
Fishing for debate don’t mind me :D:D
It's become that. Political party has become a litmus test for who we can be friends with or even be nice to. It's pathetic.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's become that. Political party has become a litmus test for who we can be friends with or even be nice to. It's pathetic.
Why's that bad?

The Republicans - and on this side of the border, the PPC - support some pretty heinous things.

I would be a pretty bad friend to many people I care about if I was all buddy-buddy with those who were trying to make their lives Hell.

Edit: when political divides are between people who share the common goal of making the country a better place and helping its people, but just disagree on the best way to achieve it, sure: friendships across party divides are fine. But when someone's actively trying to burn the country down... well, **** that person.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Why's that bad?

The Republicans - and on this side of the border, the PPC - support some pretty heinous things.

I would be a pretty bad friend to many people I care about if I was all buddy-buddy with those who were trying to make their lives Hell.

Edit: when political divides are between people who share the common goal of making the country a better place and helping its people, but just disagree on the best way to achieve it, sure: friendships across party divides are fine. But when someone's actively trying to burn the country down... well, **** that person.

I think it's bad if you generalize all of the "other side" as bad or see them as evil. Like you said, most people are trying to make things better; few are actively trying to hurt people. Those that are trying to hurt people are few and far between. I try to see others as people first, and if they are nice, friendly and considerate, then I don't care what else they are.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think it's bad if you generalize all of the "other side" as bad or see them as evil. Like you said, most people are trying to make things better; few are actively trying to hurt people. Those that are trying to hurt people are few and far between. I try to see others as people first, and if they are nice, friendly and considerate, then I don't care what else they are.
I would say that the Republican party platform is bad enough that anyone supporting it is not nice, friendly, or considerate.

Deidre

I don’t see it as “aggressive” but it would be nice to vote in favor of a candidate as opposed to casting my vote against the other. I think the two party system is rather broken. :pensive: