• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is voting an act of aggression?

Is voting an act of aggression?

• Yes

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I am of the opinion that voting is an act of aggression, hence why I don’t vote.
You are using armed force (via the state) to implement your will upon others within a geographical region.
Is this not true?
“If you don’t vote, you can’t complain!” Is the old saying, but I say “If you vote, you can’t complain!”
Fishing for debate don’t mind me :D:D

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I’d contend that not voting is an act of disrespect to those who fought and died to claim the right to vote. It is our birthright and it is our duty. But if you don’t want to participate in deciding the future of your own country, I wouldn’t hold it against you. As that is a valid choice as well

That said, in my country, voting (or at least showing up to the polls in some capacity) is legally mandatory. And you get fined if you don’t. You don’t have to vote, just get your name ticked off the registry.

Uhhhh our federal vote is the 21st this month. Grumble grumble.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am of the opinion that voting is an act of aggression, hence why I don’t vote.
You are using armed force (via the state) to implement your will upon others within a geographical region.
Is this not true?
“If you don’t vote, you can’t complain!” Is the old saying, but I say “If you vote, you can’t complain!”
Depends what you're voting for.

Yes, laws are often backed up by the threat of force, but a political party's platform might include a promise to weild that force less often or less severely.

Also, the state monopoly on legitimate use of force is intended to create a net reduction in the use of force, so stepping back and saying "no, I don't want any part in the state using violence" might help to create a situation with more violence overall and less accountability for violence... e.g. vigilanteism instead of police use of force.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends on what or who one votes for. Voting for a Hitler-like or Stalin-like figure while knowing their motives and policies would be a conspicuous act of aggression. Voting for, say, a peacemaker like Mandela or even a typical milquetoast candidate, not so much.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is this not true?

From a Baha'i perspective it is a positive choice.

We look for the virtues, morals and ability of a person to serve their community.

We give our vote to the person/s we feel are best suited to serve the community.

It is not an easy task to make this choice, nor should it be.

Regards Tony

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The idea of being forcefully dragged by the collar to a voting booth just to do that.

Compulsory is just so wrong for a free society.
In fairness, there are some fun things to do if you are “forced to vote.” I knew a guy who would always be working on the “voting Saturday” but he’d use the excuse of voting to go out and have a few drinks with mates. Since it is legally mandatory for all employers to give ample time for all of age employees to vote. So he’d show up, then sneak off to the pub afterwards. Or he’d postal vote and do the same, I can’t quite remember now that I think of it
Not sure if what he did was necessarily legal but it always worked lol
I knew of another who would go to the polls in person but would use the excuse to have a coffee with someone all the same

Only reason I don’t like postal voting is because the booths always have someone “selling” a sausage sizzle.
(It’s technically free but they ask for a gold coin “donation” for charity in exchange. And people often oblige,)

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Is this not true?
Not voting is still a decision. The force of the state is going to be implemented whether you vote or not. Not voting is just a weak attempt to not take responsibility. But it doesn’t work.

“If you choose not to decide,
you still have made a choice.”

Gargovic Malkav

From a Baha'i perspective it is a positive choice.

We look for the virtues, morals and ability of a person to serve their community.

We give our vote to the person/s we feel are best suited to serve the community.

It is not an easy task to make this choice, nor should it be.

Regards Tony

What if one really doesn't know or feel it isn't their job to meddle in such affairs?
Do you feel such an individual should vote anyway?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Is this not true?
Kind of a strange question, really.

Voting is one of the ways that we humans try to bring order into the complexity of living as a social animal with the capacity to default from the usual requirements of eusociality.

The process can be very messy -- rather like making sausage -- but if you give it some care, sometimes the result can be quite pleasing to the taste.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Is this not true?
Armed force? How do you work that out?