• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Violence Against Women Ever Acceptable?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Having a short temper is not using violence to enforce your will. Do you understand what it means to have a short temper?

Should we lock up the short tempered two-year-olds until they learn on their own to "keep it under control". You people are gross. You don't reason at all. It's almost inhuman.
  1. Islam permits a man to lightly hit his wife.
  2. Op's article has no significant problems when it comes to Islam.
  3. domestic abuse is a problem in all societies, including muslim societies, but islam is not to blame for that.
Still grasping at straws.
Why is that?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
That's obviously a different woman. Why do you do this?
Perhaps you are speaking of an article different than the one in the OP?
Because she was beaten to death by her ex-boyfriend.
And the the official response to a woman being murdered by her ex-boyfriend is for women to accept violence from their husband.

What article are you talking about?
I am unable to find it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Having a short temper is not using violence to enforce your will. Do you understand what it means to have a short temper?

Should we lock up the short tempered two-year-olds until they learn on their own to "keep it under control". You people are gross. You don't reason at all. It's almost inhuman.
  1. Islam permits a man to lightly hit his wife.
  2. Op's article has no significant problems when it comes to Islam.
  3. domestic abuse is a problem in all societies, including muslim societies, but islam is not to blame for that.
Okay, I'm going to assume that wives are human, too. You agree? Or are they some other species in Islam? So I presume that Islam, giving due fairness to all humans, permits a woman to "lightly hit" her husband? Yes?

Or is that not reasonable. Is having a dick something that makes you superior?

You might begin to guess that I have little respect for Islam -- and your comments are doing a really good job of making my respect less. I consider, in fact, your ability to reason to be something less than human on this issue.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm an atheist. My lover is an atheist. We're both men. We've been together going on 30 years. We have disagreed about many things. Neither one of us has ever come even close to striking the other, and yet we have always found a way to resolve our differences -- without either of us ever having to assume that "I'm the master, you are subservient...I make the rules, you obey them."

If Islam can't cope with that, then Islam has some growing up to do.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And to those who think they're their own God.
No they're English speakers who know what English words mean. You don't get to tell us that a word does not mean what we know it means and which knowledge is enshrined in dictionaries and thesauruses.

Synonyms for hit Synonyms of hit | Thesaurus.com

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Women in Turkey took to Twitter on Wednesday to blast Turkey’s top religious authority over a series of fatwas, in which the Religious Affairs Directorate (Diyanet) has advised women to accept violence at the hands of their husbands and use discussion to solve their probleTurkey’s top religious body sparks Twitter ire with fatwas on violence against women | Ahvalms.
The RCC has tried that line for centuries, and Catholic women have been subjected to domestic violence at about the same rate as anyone else.

It's a load of pious unadulterated hooey. You need laws and systems to provide women with protection against violent partners ─ places of shelter, financial support, counselors (but only counselors with professional training). You also need female as well as male police officers at all levels of the system, and female as well as male members of the judiciary at all levels.

(As to the small part of the sample that goes the other way, women violent towards men, the principle is exactly the same.)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm an atheist. My lover is an atheist. We're both men. We've been together going on 30 years. We have disagreed about many things. Neither one of us has ever come even close to striking the other, and yet we have always found a way to resolve our differences -- without either of us ever having to assume that "I'm the master, you are subservient...I make the rules, you obey them."

If Islam can't cope with that, then Islam has some growing up to do.

I can't imagine getting to the place I would hit my wife in anger or to 'instruct' her. If either of us gets even close to that upset, we TAKE A WALK.

Anyone making excuses for abuse is simply promoting such immorality and violence.

wellwisher

Men more often abuse women with physical force. On the other hand, woman more often abuse men verbally with nagging and targeted daggers to the heart. A male may not be able to out nag an emotionally abusive woman on a roll, which is why God made man physically stronger. If she is abusive he can make her stop.

I dated a woman many years ago who was bi-polar She could be the life of the party and then become a battle ax. She usually did not abuse me, since i stayed under her radar. She would be abusive to men who approached her. But on this occasions when she targeted me, I would use wresting type force to subdue her. I would place her in a body lock with pressure points, to make her tap out. Then she and we would be OK. She would then tell me was trying to make me mad, since I was too under control.

Think of it this way. If you said anything in the work place, even generic, to a stranger and they were made to feel uncomfortable or even mad; racial or sexist comment, you can lose your job. Picture if you know someone, on an intimate basis like a husband and wife. You know their inner most thoughts and their secrets. Say you then use that private material to nag and target them. The punishment should be worse than getting fired. Men will not cross some secret lines in the sand, but many women will. Most would have previously gossiped this with friends and mothers. Somehow women are portrayed as always the victims. This is a left wing scam and dual standard.

Vee

Premium Member
Unless you're religious and God says it's OK.
Then violence is acceptable.
Tom

People who want to do something horrible will always find an excuse. What they never do is take responsibility. It's always someone else's fault, there is always a reason why they have the right to do wrong...

Piculet

People who want to do something horrible will always find an excuse. What they never do is take responsibility.
That's not true. Obviously there are people who take responsibility for what they have done. Sometimes in court it goes by the name of confession.

Piculet

Men more often abuse women with physical force. On the other hand, woman more often abuse men verbally with nagging and targeted daggers to the heart. A male may not be able to out nag an emotionally abusive woman on a roll, which is why God made man physically stronger. If she is abusive he can make her stop.

I dated a woman many years ago who was bi-polar She could be the life of the party and then become a battle ax. She usually did not abuse me, since i stayed under her radar. She would be abusive to men who approached her. But on this occasions when she targeted me, I would use wresting type force to subdue her. I would place her in a body lock with pressure points, to make her tap out. Then she and we would be OK. She would then tell me was trying to make me mad, since I was too under control.

Think of it this way. If you said anything in the work place, even generic, to a stranger and they were made to feel uncomfortable or even mad; racial or sexist comment, you can lose your job. Picture if you know someone, on an intimate basis like a husband and wife. You know their inner most thoughts and their secrets. Say you then use that private material to nag and target them. The punishment should be worse than getting fired. Men will not cross some secret lines in the sand, but many women will. Most would have previously gossiped this with friends and mothers. Somehow women are portrayed as always the victims. This is a left wing scam and dual standard.
Sounds like you've built some hatred to women through unhealthy relationships.