• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is 'vegetarian' a dirty word?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Just make sure the carnivores don't gobble up the veggie burgers, cause then the vegetarians have just the salad. (Speaking from personal experience here.)
I hear ya'. Luckily we're usually only 10+ people and everyone knows now, but with new guests, yeah, mistakes have been made in the past.

What adds to the difficulty now is that we have some with allergies of different kinds. One can't eat salmon. Another can't eat egg or gluten. So we have to have gluten free buns for the burgers. It's easy to forget to have all the options for everyone.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That's pretty old style, and most folks are over it. I've asked on travel forums about travelling to certain countries, being a vegetarian. The response is almost always 'it's really easy'.

France, was far behind but is improving rapidly, in the last 2 years supermarkets have begun stocking a (small) range of veggie foods.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Ahhh...."baker's gold".
Makes the best pie crusts.

eta-beta-pi.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I hear ya'. Luckily we're usually only 10+ people and everyone knows now, but with new guests, yeah, mistakes have been made in the past.

What adds to the difficulty now is that we have some with allergies of different kinds. One can't eat salmon. Another can't eat egg or gluten. So we have to have gluten free buns for the burgers. It's easy to forget to have all the options for everyone.
For sure. Gluten sensitivity is one thing, but full blown Celiac's is another altogether. Most mature people can just fast if they have to, (I've done that a few times) but that is rather inconvenient. Good for you for making attempts to accommodate all.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
For sure. Gluten sensitivity is one thing, but full blown Celiac's is another altogether. Most mature people can just fast if they have to, (I've done that a few times) but that is rather inconvenient. Good for you for making attempts to accommodate all.
We try. Also, we do try to live somewhat healthy, so I grow stuff and we make things. I'm about to bake today, from sourdough starter, and I have to go out and fix the sprinklers for our garden. Have some hydroponic towers as well for herbs and tomatoes. Works wonders.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We try. Also, we do try to live somewhat healthy, so I grow stuff and we make things. I'm about to bake today, from sourdough starter, and I have to go out and fix the sprinklers for our garden. Have some hydroponic towers as well for herbs and tomatoes. Works wonders.
Sounds green. I just ate some kale from mine. Kale is a wonder plant to me because of its cold hardiness.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Sounds green. I just ate some kale from mine. Kale is a wonder plant to me because of its cold hardiness.
I love kale and arugula. Also mustard greens but you have to chop it up a bit to blend with the rest of the salad. I also grow chili peppers, raspberries, rhubarb, pineapple. Unfortunately, we did get a pineapple fruit growing earlier this year, but I wasn't in the mood at that point to fix up the watering system so the plant died on me. It's coming back but the fruit is gone. Got 3 other pineapples growing anyway. Probably get fruit on the other ones next year. Got my sprinklers fixed. Have to go back out and dig out the last potatoes. I just talked to my wife about moving the melons to the potato bins next year and have a chicken wire fence. The rats ate all the melon flowers. Little sad about that.

We also got grapes (rats took all those too), oranges, lime, lemon, raspberry. Got a hibiscus plant and have been harvesting flowers whole summer for some calming tea for winter. I also make my own kefir. Next project is to learn to make cheese. Haven't had much success making mozzarella yet. Failed twice. I think it's the choice of milk or maybe I'm not measuring right. Don't know.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I love kale and arugula. Also mustard greens but you have to chop it up a bit to blend with the rest of the salad. I also grow chili peppers, raspberries, rhubarb, pineapple. Unfortunately, we did get a pineapple fruit growing earlier this year, but I wasn't in the mood at that point to fix up the watering system so the plant died on me. It's coming back but the fruit is gone. Got 3 other pineapples growing anyway. Probably get fruit on the other ones next year. Got my sprinklers fixed. Have to go back out and dig out the last potatoes. I just talked to my wife about moving the melons to the potato bins next year and have a chicken wire fence. The rats ate all the melon flowers. Little sad about that.

We also got grapes (rats took all those too), oranges, lime, lemon, raspberry. Got a hibiscus plant and have been harvesting flowers whole summer for some calming tea for winter. I also make my own kefir. Next project is to learn to make cheese. Haven't had much success making mozzarella yet. Failed twice. I think it's the choice of milk or maybe I'm not measuring right. Don't know.
You're lucky. We're so far north. Raspberries and rhubarb do well here though. How do you make your kefir? I'm a fan of it.