• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is 'vegetarian' a dirty word?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's partly why I must try one.

You'll be the hero of your country for doing the impossible!

There are way too many possible versions:

- buckwheat and beet burger
- rice paddy, cornflakes and raisin burger
- sticky black rice with chopped cauliflower ... (pinto)
- chick pea and green pea
- dried apple and millet

Anything goes, really.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You'll be the hero of your country for doing the impossible!

There are way too many possible versions:

- buckwheat and beet burger
- rice paddy, cornflakes and raisin burger
- sticky black rice with chopped cauliflower ... (pinto)
- chick pea and green pea
- dried apple and millet

Anything goes, really.
I've had some varieties.

dianaiad

I've noticed 'beyond meat' and 'plant-based' burgers being marketed. Are they that stupid to think they'll fool the average person into eating it without knowing it's actually just a vegetarian burger?

Does the term 'vegetarian' have such a tree hugging hippy dippy lovey dovey connotation that the giant food guys feel they should avoid it to trick the carnivores?

vegetarian is only a dirty word if you don't wash the veggies first.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Plants have life too:

A number of studies have shown that plants feel pain, and ...
News, sport and opinion from the Guardian's US edition | The Guardian › notesandqueries › query
I struggle daily with whether I should sacrifice the life of a plant to eat, when I can find ... in animals still alive when you eat them, plants are made out of cells too.
Earth - Plants can see, hear and smell – and respond - BBC
www.bbc.com › earth › story › 20170109-plants-can-see-hear-and-smell-a...
Jan 10, 2017 - "To respond correctly, plants also need sophisticated sensing devices ... indeed, knowing have echoes of The Secret Life of Plants, a popular book ... work has not been simply to demonstrate that "plants have feelings too", but ...
Don't Plants Have Feelings Too? Responding Effectively to 13 ...
United Poultry Concerns [UPC] - www.upc-online.org › ethics_questions
Recent scientific evidence suggests that the life of plants is more complex than we once thought. However, we do know that birds, mammals and fish have ...

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I've noticed 'beyond meat' and 'plant-based' burgers being marketed. Are they that stupid to think they'll fool the average person into eating it without knowing it's actually just a vegetarian burger?

Does the term 'vegetarian' have such a tree hugging hippy dippy lovey dovey connotation that the giant food guys feel they should avoid it to trick the carnivores?

Not entirely vegetarian, but progressively humanity will consume less and less meat, because of the energy requirements and environmental costs of producing meat.

Despite the claims of what some call the 'Paleolithic Diet' that depicts Neolithic humans as eating dominantly meat, but the reality is we evolved as opportunistic omnivores, and meat was no dominant except in some regions fish was a major part of the Neolithic diet, but not more than half. The dominant stable diet was foraging grains, herbs, vegetables and tubores. We are naturally omnivorous, and so our nutritional and gut requirements is best suited to an omnivorous diet.

We will nonetheless likely evolve also with our diet, and eat less and less meat.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

And what is wrong with a tree hugging hippy dippy lovey dovey connotation?!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Plants have life too:

A number of studies have shown that plants feel pain, and ...
News, sport and opinion from the Guardian's US edition | The Guardian › notesandqueries › query
I struggle daily with whether I should sacrifice the life of a plant to eat, when I can find ... in animals still alive when you eat them, plants are made out of cells too.
Earth - Plants can see, hear and smell – and respond - BBC
www.bbc.com › earth › story › 20170109-plants-can-see-hear-and-smell-a...
Jan 10, 2017 - "To respond correctly, plants also need sophisticated sensing devices ... indeed, knowing have echoes of The Secret Life of Plants, a popular book ... work has not been simply to demonstrate that "plants have feelings too", but ...
Don't Plants Have Feelings Too? Responding Effectively to 13 ...
United Poultry Concerns [UPC] - www.upc-online.org › ethics_questions
Recent scientific evidence suggests that the life of plants is more complex than we once thought. However, we do know that birds, mammals and fish have ...

No the research does not show plants feel pain, because plants lack a nervous system. Plants like all life respond to injury, and the goal, not anthropomorphic response, but the normal response for surviving and reproducing. Some plants are also carnivores, and the cycle of life and death, and the food chain as well is a natural process including all living organisms on the planet.

The organic evolution and diversity of life is a river,

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum

Not sure if it fools anyone. I just know that when we have a big family gathering and make burgers, this is a great option for the vegetarians in the family. They say it's really tasty. The hotdogs are also popular.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My daughter is vegitarian, and will on occasion eat meat free burgers or sausage. No problem, she is getting the nutrition she needs.

Living in france has caused problems. When we first moved here we went out to a restaurant and informed the maitre that she was vegetarian he looked concerned and said "poor dear, i am sure she will get over it"

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm curious about vegetarian cooking but not for vegan reasons, so these ploys stand out to me. Vegetarian cookbooks are all about flavor not cost savings, and they generally expect you to know how to find some ingredients which aren't that easy to locate in my area. For example I could not find tapioca flour anywhere until I wandered into a Chinese food store. Tapioca is a starch that vegetarian recipes use sometimes, and its not expensive but rare here. It comes from an alien plant called a 'Cassava'. Frequently recipes call for fresh spices. Where I live that often means growing your own spices. I try to find alternatives to meat, because meat is expensive. So is cheese. So is milk. Fresh spices? Their prices are through the roof.
Me, I'm a veggie, and I find cooking at home using unprocessed ingredients much less expensive than eating similar dishes at restaurants or buying highly processed things like veggie-burgers. A big sack of rice or dried beans is usually pretty cheap.

I wouldn't worry about exotic ingredients like tapioca starch. Anything bland that will soak up liquid will likely do just as well. No need to get fancy. Buy a box of instant mashed potatoes from your local chain supermarket and re-label it "tapioca flour."

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not sure if it fools anyone. I just know that when we have a big family gathering and make burgers, this is a great option for the vegetarians in the family. They say it's really tasty. The hotdogs are also popular.
Just make sure the carnivores don't gobble up the veggie burgers, cause then the vegetarians have just the salad. (Speaking from personal experience here.)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the idea of “impossible burger” is for those who have tried the old style veggie burgers and found them to be little more than lumpy wallpaper paste. At least they were for me.

It’s supposed to prove to burger “connoisseurs” that these can be just as good as the regular burgers from these outlets. They’ll never be as good as a Fuddruckers or Smashburger. But they are for Burger King regulars

I’ve been buying Morningstar Farms Grillers. I admit, like @SalixIncendium that I do like a good burger and miss certain meats. But I’m going veg. for the ethical and dharmic reasons. Truth to tell these veg burgers are pretty good. I just like the toppings and texture... tomato, pickle, ketchup and what-not. That’s probably the only reason I tried them at all. Puerto Rican rice and beans is far more filling.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My daughter is vegitarian, and will on occasion eat meat free burgers or sausage. No problem, she is getting the nutrition she needs.

Living in france has caused problems. When we first moved here we went out to a restaurant and informed the maitre that she was vegetarian he looked concerned and said "poor dear, i am sure she will get over it"

That's pretty old style, and most folks are over it. I've asked on travel forums about travelling to certain countries, being a vegetarian. The response is almost always 'it's really easy'.